Qihoo360 is Ranked No.1 in Software Industry for Vulnerability Detection and Protection Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
The main reason I don't trust AV's that use BitDefender's engine is the high false positives.
If detects many safe files not detected by any other AV. It is useless to report them because they will never remove the false positive detections. Most users might not even realize that some of the detections are false positives they are more likely to believe BitDefender's detections. It even detected some command prompt applications that I created and know are safe.

Sometimes I think they leave the false positive detections to make users think that they have infections to promote sales.

My advise if BitDefender detects a file, do research to make sure it is not a false positive detection.

Thanks. :D

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
The main reason I don't trust AV's that use BitDefender's engine is the high false positives.
If detects many safe files not detected by any other AV. It is useless to report them because they will never remove the false positive detections. Most users might not even realize that some of the detections are false positives they are more likely to believe BitDefender's detections. It even detected some command prompt applications that I created and know are safe.

Sometimes I think they leave the false positive detections to make users think that they have infections to promote sales.

My advise if BitDefender detects a file, do research to make sure it is not a false positive detection.

:D All d talk you talking HMP use bitdefender engine & people trust it.
:D Emsisoft use bitdefender engine & people trust it.
:D Gdata use bitdefender engine & people trust it.
:D Avast don't use bitdefender engine but look what it does do=http://prntscr.com/3u3j2b

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Exactly, if you are a careful user you don't need a false positive king detecting your safe files.

All d false positive king you talking bout,how much hitman pro's you had to remove from people machines,how many emsisoft's you had to remove,how many gdata's you had to remove,how many 360's you had to remove, i don't mind you bumping you gums:D

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
All d false positive king you talking bout,how much hitman pro's you had to remove from people machines,how many emsisoft's you had to remove,how many gdata's you had to remove,how many 360's you had to remove, i don't mind you bumping you gums:D
when I worked repairing pc's i never used hitman pro or any other things with BD engine.
All the cleaning that I did I used MSERT.EXE, Windows defender offline, kaspersky recovery disk and combofix, i didn't even use MBAM. believe or not microsoft product are doing a good job with non zero day viruses and until the pc come to lab its no longer zero day

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
This is just a wild guess about 360 AV but, maybe the Cloud & QVM2 engine do all the work first. Then if something is found it unleashes Bitdefender & Avira? Just a guess.

Reactions: nissimezra

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Exactly, if you are a careful user you don't need a false positive king detecting your safe files.

I wouldn't even install it to a client pc, then i could be in trouble if it delete his files.

its a good idea to backup files for anyone planning to instal BD. from my experience

thx

Reactions: Littlebits and marg

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I wouldn't even install it to a client pc, then i could be in trouble if it delete his files.

its a good idea to backup files for anyone planning to instal BD. from my experience

thx
Out of all of my customers that use a wide range of AV's and security products, BitDefender has caused the most problems with false positives. Sure all AV's will have some false positives but the false detections that BitDefender has is completely insane.

I never use any products to remove infections that have high false positives they just masks the real malware, make them more difficult to find and waste my time. This includes all product that use BitDefender's engine excluding Emsisoft because they actually whitelist many false positives from BT engine. I have been repairing malware infections for over 12 years just using simple tools and manual removal techniques. If MBAM and the common removal tools don't detect the infection and I can't find using manual removal techniques then I backup user files and reinstall Windows.

Enjoy!! :D

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Out of all of my customers that use a wide range of AV's and security products, BitDefender has caused the most problems with false positives. Sure all AV's will have some false positives but the false detections that BitDefender has is completely insane.

I never use any products to remove infections that have high false positives they just masks the real malware, make them more difficult to find and waste my time. This includes all product that use BitDefender's engine excluding Emsisoft because they actually whitelist many false positives from BT engine. I have been repairing malware infections for over 12 years just using simple tools and manual removal techniques. If MBAM and the common removal tools don't detect the infection and I can't find using manual removal techniques then I backup user files and reinstall Windows.

Enjoy!! :D
as a beginner i ate a lot of crap backing up user stuff that were infected, reinstall windows won't solve the problem coz if u return the backup files it will reinfect the system, therefore first you need to clean the system before back it up, virus like bron.tok love to hide on my pictures folder.
u should try combofix.

cheers

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
F

ForgottenSeer 19494

Yeah, the first versions of the free bitdefender didn't offered a restore feature. It has it now but it still doesn't have any useful settings and this level of stupidity is driving me crazy. I thought Qihoo was ok, so many users and powerfull engines combined with good reviews. And they exist from 2005, why that bug is still here?

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
360 AV does have a Quarantine option so you can restore a detected file. I am not having any problems with false positives whatsoever. Everything its found has been legit as far as I know. It has found 3 IE 10 browser plugins I never knew I had. I caught all my nasty stuff by downloading free apps. I don't download stuff anymore.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
If you are going to disable engines then why not just use Avira instead of Qihoo 360?
Avira is a powerful enough engine by itself more power equals more false detections.

coz it depends on users what engines they prefer. if they have problems using avira & bitdefender engines, they simply disable it & qihoo 360 is lot better then avira. U can't underestimate qihoo cloud engine :)

360 AV does have a Quarantine option so you can restore a detected file. I am not having any problems with false positives whatsoever. Everything its found has been legit as far as I know. It has found 3 IE 10 browser plugins I never knew I had. I caught all my nasty stuff by downloading free apps. I don't download stuff anymore.
Yes it's best free AV in the market so why microsoft sign a deal with chinese AV qihoo. I never had any problem with it's avira or bitdefender engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.