Not open for further replies.

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Hello,

So I've been thinking about pairing up Comodo firewall and Eset antivirus to see how it goes. I currently am using the Windows firewall with Eset. I didn't install smart security as I find most security suites don't have good firewalls except Comodo. Also I don't care about the anti theft or anti spam features that Smart Security offers.

Now my question is if I install Comodo firewall and disable the Windows one of course will Comdos HIPS protect Eset? Because as far as I know if you disable Eset's HIPS it will also disable Eset's self defense. At the moment I am using it's HIPS set on interactive mode and it's quite chatty. I love Comodo's HIPS and I love how it has a sandbox and the cloud should add extra protection.

So should I add on Comodo firewall and disable Eset's HIPS and count on Comodo to protect it or just keep using Eset with it's HIPS on interactive mode and Windows 8 firewall?

I know at the end of the day it's all up to me but I just wanted to hear your thoughts.

Thanks! :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually even HIPS feature of Comodo is unticked, it has the ability to appear on some pop up cases when Behavior blocker didn't find anything.

The only problem may varies on response time since both have features which logical conflict or not.

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
jamescv7 said:
Actually even HIPS feature of Comodo is unticked, it has the ability to appear on some pop up cases when Behavior blocker didn't find anything.

The only problem may varies on response time since both have features which logical conflict or not.

I just got rid of Eset and went with the full Comodo suite. I love using HIPS so I actually disable the BB and turn on HIPS. Since I don't mind answering questions and it gives you more control. Comodo HIPS don't nag you as much as Eset's did. If I wanted to turn up the volume I'd have to allow Eset to let me.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
You can try my setup of Comodo if you like;

BB to "untrusted", HIPS and Firewall to "safe mode", all actions to "quarantine" and check the box for NO POP-UPS

I have had no FP's that way, and no pop-ups from HIPS or BB.

I suggest you try it. Your call though.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Malware Man said:
Hello,

So I've been thinking about pairing up Comodo firewall and Eset antivirus to see how it goes. I currently am using the Windows firewall with Eset. I didn't install smart security as I find most security suites don't have good firewalls except Comodo. Also I don't care about the anti theft or anti spam features that Smart Security offers.

Now my question is if I install Comodo firewall and disable the Windows one of course will Comdos HIPS protect Eset? Because as far as I know if you disable Eset's HIPS it will also disable Eset's self defense. At the moment I am using it's HIPS set on interactive mode and it's quite chatty. I love Comodo's HIPS and I love how it has a sandbox and the cloud should add extra protection.

So should I add on Comodo firewall and disable Eset's HIPS and count on Comodo to protect it or just keep using Eset with it's HIPS on interactive mode and Windows 8 firewall?

I know at the end of the day it's all up to me but I just wanted to hear your thoughts.

Alright thats a fair combination which would be able to add a good layer of adequate defense to your PC.
Question comes in mind, Are you sitting behind a router who has a hardware based firewall or SPI enabled? Because if thats the case you might as well run the Inbox windows firewall + Eset.
Or just go for the complete Internet Security Suit and be just as save and save resources in the process.

Most people forget that your router/modem 9 out of 10 times has a hardware based firewall which is far more reliable then a software based one and it does require ZERO action from you. (But thats only if you run it in DHCP mode because if you bridge it or DMZ it then obviously you are going to need a bit more then Windows FW. Not to mention if you open ports for whatever reason.

Also your ISP will probably do a fair share of monitoring so its save to assume that they will also add another layer of defense.
That said Comodo will give you a really nice Firewall and Eset will provide you with good quality Antivirus.
However imo you would be secured enough by getting one complete suit and as i said save resources in the process.

But then again its a personal pref because you know what network config you are running and what needs you have.

Either way you cannot go wrong.
At least you make a solid effort to get the basics right which cannot be said by most users.

Cheers

Ps Make sure that if you go with Comodo FW and ESET AV that you choose which program to deal with the HIPS as both use HIPS and this can conflict horrible.

ESET NOD32 Antivirus 6:
Antivirus and Antispyware
• Provides proactive protection against all online and offline
threats, including viruses, worms, Trojans and other malware

Cloud-powered Scanning
• Ensures a faster scanning process that uses our online file
reputation database for whitelisting safe files

Scanning During File Downloads
• Decreases scanning time by initiating scan
during file download

Anti-Phishing
• Prevents fake websites masquerading as trustworthy
ones from acquiring your personal information

Removable Media Control
• Allows you to block unknown CDs, DVDs, USBs and other media
• Prevents unauthorized copying of your private data to
external devices

Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS)
• Acts as a firewall to your application and
blocks unauthorized changes to programs

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Gnosis said:
You can try my setup of Comodo if you like;

BB to "untrusted", HIPS and Firewall to "safe mode", all actions to "quarantine" and check the box for NO POP-UPS

I have had no FP's that way, and no pop-ups from HIPS or BB.

I suggest you try it. Your call though.

Hello,

I am sorry but I like knowing what is going on. I haven't got a problem answering questions haha. I turned off the BB and turned on the HIPS and it's on auto quarantine. But I like seeing the pop ups. Thanks for the idea though.

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
n.nvt said:
Malware Man said:
Hello,

Alright thats a fair combination which would be able to add a good layer of adequate defense to your PC.
Question comes in mind, Are you sitting behind a router who has a hardware based firewall or SPI enabled? Because if thats the case you might as well run the Inbox windows firewall + Eset.
Or just go for the complete Internet Security Suit and be just as save and save resources in the process.

Most people forget that your router/modem 9 out of 10 times has a hardware based firewall which is far more reliable then a software based one and it does require ZERO action from you. (But thats only if you run it in DHCP mode because if you bridge it or DMZ it then obviously you are going to need a bit more then Windows FW. Not to mention if you open ports for whatever reason.

Also your ISP will probably do a fair share of monitoring so its save to assume that they will also add another layer of defense.
That said Comodo will give you a really nice Firewall and Eset will provide you with good quality Antivirus.
However imo you would be secured enough by getting one complete suit and as i said save resources in the process.

But then again its a personal pref because you know what network config you are running and what needs you have.

Either way you cannot go wrong.
At least you make a solid effort to get the basics right which cannot be said by most users.

Cheers

Ps Make sure that if you go with Comodo FW and ESET AV that you choose which program to deal with the HIPS as both use HIPS and this can conflict horrible.

ESET NOD32 Antivirus 6:
Antivirus and Antispyware
• Provides proactive protection against all online and offline
threats, including viruses, worms, Trojans and other malware

Cloud-powered Scanning
• Ensures a faster scanning process that uses our online file
reputation database for whitelisting safe files

Scanning During File Downloads
• Decreases scanning time by initiating scan
during file download

Anti-Phishing
• Prevents fake websites masquerading as trustworthy
ones from acquiring your personal information

Removable Media Control
• Allows you to block unknown CDs, DVDs, USBs and other media
• Prevents unauthorized copying of your private data to
external devices

Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS)
• Acts as a firewall to your application and
blocks unauthorized changes to programs

Hello,

First off thank you for the well thought out comprehensive answer! Very nice. I am currently using the full Comodo suite. Comodo's HIPS is pretty amazing. It let's very few things slip by. I am sitting behind a router. I would take more control of it but I'm only 16. I help mom set it up and help her with her computer and stuff. I am using the full suite to avoid all possible conflicts since they are made for each other plus it's free. So don't gotta renew it every year.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
I would change the firewall setting to custom so there are alerts to any new outbound requests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.