Advice Request Questions on VoodooSoft LLC/VoodooShield

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo791

Level 2
Verified
Jul 23, 2018
Once again all your questions can be answered by writing the firm and asking them. Its not a very hard thing to do. However you should know that the questions you are asking are the same ones that people who partake in ID theft ask, I would hate that people would get the idea this is what your are trying to do. Wishing you the best and good luck

E

Eddie Morra

Thread author
Once again all your questions can be answered by writing the firm and asking them. Its not a very hard thing to do. However you should know that the questions you are asking are the same ones that people who partake in ID theft ask, I would hate that people would get the idea this is what your are trying to do.
I personally feel that an accusation of identity theft would be a huge stretch and if such were to happen under the law, it would inevitably go no where because that isn't what is going on here.

There would be insufficient evidence to win such a case because there would be no evidence to prove the case, and I doubt that asking questions about how a company operates/manages their services is sufficient evidence for getting someone convicted of attempted identity theft.

However, I thank you for looking out for my well-being and noting that it may look suspicious.

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
So to let me get this straight, you expect a company to answer questions asked on a third party website instead asking them directly first?

And some questions are:
Does VoodooSoft, LLC have a past or active relationship with any government agencies?
Does VoodooSoft, LLC have any history with investigation from law enforcement? If no, are there any current investigations from law enforcement?
Does VoodooSoft, LLC have any acquisition/merge deals pending or actively in the works

I can totally see any firm wanting to answer that on a public third party website to a private consumer. If a company asked and is willing to buy 50k licenses i would think you get an answer but for some "normal user"? :D

Anyway thanks for the fun and good luck with it.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Personally, I do not think that VS vendor should feel obliged to answer those questions on MT forum. But, I agree with Eddie Morra that more information about the VoodooShield company on the product website, could only help to sell more VS licences.

Jimbo791

Level 2
Verified
Jul 23, 2018
In the field I work in I have seen the importance of the way questions are asked, thats why I think its best to ask the firm then you can ask others to confirm the answers you have got from the firm, your ass is covered. Never think that common sense protects you, it does not.

E

Eddie Morra

Thread author
Does VoodooSoft, LLC have a past or active relationship with any government agencies?
This question became curious to me after seeing these videos which was uploaded to the official VoodooShield YouTube channel.

In the first video I've linked to in the above spoiler, VoodooShield is being tested against the EternalBlue kernel exploit which was developed by the NSA (a government agency). Therefore, it made be curious as to whether VoodooSoft, LLC may actually have a relationship with any government agencies, because that may explain how they managed to get sufficient intelligence to take precautions against such an exploit attack as quickly as it appears they did.

In the second and third videos I've linked to in the above spoiler, VoodooShield is being tested in comparison to Cylance - recently acquired by BlackBerry Limited for $1.4 billion. Since VoodooShield is being tested in comparison with a product from a company which has just been sold for $1.4 billion, I personally feel that it provides a feeling of power... the type of power I would expect to be emitted from a company which is backed by government resources (possible if they are in a health relationship with government agencies).

Therefore, I became curious as to whether VoodooSoft, LLC has any past or active relationships with government agencies and this is what led me to include that particular question in my collection of questions.

E

Eddie Morra

Thread author
Personally, I do not think that VS vendor should feel obliged to answer those questions on MT forum.
As far as I know, they're not obliged under law to respond to any of the questions I have asked on this thread on this forum, and I am not convinced that they would be obliged to answer any of them at all, even if I contacted directly.

I do not know how the law works for the United States when it comes to question requests, and I imagine that for there to be a legal obligation, a law act would have to be relied on when asking the questions (and that it would not be valid for all of the questions, but maybe only some of them).

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
So to let me get this straight, you expect a company to answer questions asked on a third party website instead asking them directly first?

And some questions are:
Does VoodooSoft, LLC have any history with investigation from law enforcement? If no, are there any current investigations from law enforcement?
Does VoodooSoft, LLC have any acquisition/merge deals pending or actively in the works

I can totally see any firm wanting to answer that on a public third party website to a private consumer. If a company asked and is willing to buy 50k licenses i would think you get an answer but for some "normal user"? :D

Anyway thanks for the fun and good luck with it.
I agree that the above information would look strange at the vendor portfolio. But if asked, then the answer NO, would be probably welcome for many users and also profitable for the vendor.
That is why, the vendor should not be obliged to answer the questions on MT, but simply put more information about the company on the product website.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
This question became curious to me after seeing these videos which was uploaded to the official VoodooShield YouTube channel.

In the first video I've linked to in the above spoiler, VoodooShield is being tested against the EternalBlue kernel exploit which was developed by the NSA (a government agency). Therefore, it made be curious as to whether VoodooSoft, LLC may actually have a relationship with any government agencies, because that may explain how they managed to get sufficient intelligence to take precautions against such an exploit attack as quickly as it appears they did.

In the second and third videos I've linked to in the above spoiler, VoodooShield is being tested in comparison to Cylance - recently acquired by BlackBerry Limited for $1.4 billion. Since VoodooShield is being tested in comparison with a product from a company which has just been sold for $1.4 billion, I personally feel that it provides a feeling of power... the type of power I would expect to be emitted from a company which is backed by government resources (possible if they are in a health relationship with government agencies).

Therefore, I became curious as to whether VoodooSoft, LLC has any past or active relationships with government agencies and this is what led me to include that particular question in my collection of questions.

I think that it was the most speculative post on MT in December 2018.:giggle:
It might be so, but there is a much simpler explanation, if VS vendor tested his product and found out that VS were doing well. Why do not tell people about it?

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I would be totally surprised if Dan would answer all those questions here, a third party website. :)

But it's a challenge for the VS company to have sufficient legal background (in their website, for example), so that doubts may be minimized.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I'm with Eddie... in that it's better in general to know more about a company as opposed to knowing less.

In the US, being a corporation or an LLC does have reporting and information requirements for multiple government agencies. The specifics... I don't really know that much about.

It is probably doubtful that VS has a relationship with any US government entity.... other than possibly the general examination of the product.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I cannot recommend VoodooSoft, LLC services to friends of mine who are interested in default-deny solutions until I know a lot more about how they operate as a company and manage their solutions.
No problem. No one is forcing VS upon you.
As far as I know, they're not obliged under law to respond to any of the questions I have asked on this thread on this forum, and I am not convinced that they would be obliged to answer any of them at all, even if I contacted directly.
And why should they? How many potential installations do you represent? If this was a major firm seeking to incorporate VS across their user base, a response to these questions might be coming. And asking a user forum... this rumble is just noise in the scheme of life.

BTW, how did Microsoft/Apple/Google respond to these questions?

E

Eddie Morra

Thread author
The AppGuard website looks more convincing:
Company
I do not have to become Sherlock Holmes to find out information about AppGuard, LLC. All I have to do is access the website and I'll be able to browse information on who manages AppGuard, LLC as well as details on their work experience background... and the such is the same with vendors like Avast as well.

The AppGuard website tells you a lot more than just about some of the main employees, too. It tells you where the offices are located on the footer, which lets you know that they do have a genuine workplace and aren't just working from someone's basement, and gives you the name of the parent company which owns AppGuard, LLC.

There's other information about them online as well, which can be very quickly found, and such information goes into topics like the getting investments of millions of dollars as well.

Kaspersky have a page for 'Our Company' and it gives you some insight on them having a lot of employees and supporting many countries. They even have a downloadable document for the UK customers on Tax Strategy. As far as who is working at Kaspersky, there's many on Twitter who have it on their BIO that they're part of Kaspersky, normally to do with threat research and engineering.

Look at this huge Wikipedia on Google: Google - Wikipedia

Anyone can do an online search and within seconds find out about many companies Google has acquired over the years and for how much they acquired them for.

I feel like some people are acting like I am some sort of devil for asking for insight into VoodooSoft, LLC and VoodooShield in general, when in reality, being able to find information about a company tends to be a very normal thing. That's okay.

The end conclusion

I was going to ditch from the thread and leave everyone wondering mindless on where I went, why I didn't return back to respond and what eventually happened, but I'll be kind and not leave you guessing.

I'm no longer in need of an answer to my questions because I've almost made my mind up on what companies I will recommend to my friends for this specific scenario. I have some additional simple research to do before I finalise my thoughts.

I'm currently thinking about recommending AppLocker/AppGuard and possibly F-Secure to a few friends of mine who require Windows, and for the few who may not require Windows, I'll leave it with a Chromebook recommendation when they only need to be doing research in the office environment.

The F-Secure recommendation idea stems from information I managed to easily find on them which I was a fan of, as well as looking into the business background of some of the people who have worked at F-Secure for an extremely long time.

Some of the sources I read whilst looking into whether F-Secure would be ideal:
F-Secure - Wikipedia
Our offices | F-Secure
Materials | F-Secure for investors
Business Security - F-Secure Community
F-Secure Press Room | Global
Home - F-Secure Community

These were very interesting to read:
https://www.f-secure.com/documents/996508/1030745/deepguard_whitepaper.pdf
https://www.f-secure.com/documents/10192/2317861/F-Secure_Broad_Context_Detection_whitepaper-web.pdf
https://www.f-secure.com/documents/10192/2377962/F-Secure-Guide-to-Detection-and-Response.pdf
https://www.f-secure.com/documents/996508/1030743/cyber-security-report-2017
https://www.f-secure.com/documents/996508/1030745/callisto-group
https://www.f-secure.com/documents/996508/1030745/Ransomware_how_to_ppdr.pdf

Furthermore, there's clear and precise information on who mainly manages F-Secure: Leadership Team | F-Secure for investors

I can also see that there's a Wikipedia page on one of the F-Secure employees, named Mikko Hyppönen: Mikko Hyppönen - Wikipedia

From what I can tell, F-Secure is a robust company that can stand on its own two feet, and is backed by good management and exceptional employees who are very skilled and experienced when it comes to software engineering and threat research. They appear to be capable of making up their minds and have clear goals of trying to help in the fight against malicious software. Continuing with this, they are prepared and organised in my books, and know how to write a good technical document which stays relevant to the document topic.

I've looked into the F-Secure Community and it doesn't appear to be toxic, not to mention hearing good things about their Business Support. It goes without saying that I cannot find any childish behaviour on third-party forums or YouTube where they are trying to go out of their way to discredit other vendors over themselves... their history seems clean and professional as far as I can tell.

It was a close call between ESET and F-Secure, because ESET have some spectacular technical documents and I already know a lot about them as a company and their services... however, for this particular case, I am leaning more to F-Secure on my recommendation.

Big thank you to the members who were genuinely interested in helping me learn more.

Cya!

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
In the U.S. the rule is this: make or steal as much money as you can, using many tactics that would be banned in some other countries such as yours. Government regulation? HA, it's mostly a sham! The businesses and interests governed by any rules are spending billions lobbying government officials, buying legislation, their lobbyists even WRITE the legislation - you name it. Heads of corporations later become head of government departments doing the overseeing. And when they're out of government a corporation opens the door even wider. It' s only gotten worse and more out-in-the-open under the wannable dictator and serial liar Trump. You could not believe what is allowed here - IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY!

This IS the unfortunate reality in the US, which has affected all markets including the market for security applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.