Advice Request Questions: Windows Defender Sandbox and Tamper Protection - Have they now been combined? Will MS include default WD sandboxing?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
A question was raised on Wilders about Windows Defender Sandbox recently and it got me thinking: Has WD sandbox been incorporated into Tamper Protection? M$ as usual provides little documentation and the two official sources I know of are these: Tamper Protection and Windows Defender Sandbox. They are very general explanations and I can find no other current official explanation about them.

Previously, when WD Sandbox was enabled you would see this

1575666253651.png

I was curious so I enabled WD Sandbox on my system and here is what I see

Capture.PNG Clearly the names are not the same in these two images.

I understand some of WD's processes have new names in 1903+ and this only complicates things more in terms of finding answers to my question. Any Windows gurus are free to offer there expertise or opinions.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I did not find any connection with sandboxing.

Someone asked if you had thought of including this feature in H_C and ConfigureDefender. My reply was that this feature is experimental, or at least not rolled out to all users, and that MS has been silent on the feature for 1+ years since original announcement. What is your take? :unsure:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
MS admitted that Sandbox is important to prevent exploiting WD. They were very excited about it. So, if it worked flawlessly it would be already implemented by default like for example Tamper Protection. Furthermore, the developer of the application that changes some important WD settings must be cautious, because the application can be easily flagged by MS as a HackTool and quarantined (as ConfigureDefender some time ago). This could a probable scenario if MS would choose to make WD Sandbox a default feature.
There is no rush for H_C users in the home environment because exploiting WD requires first to bypass H_C restrictions.
WD Sandbox is most important in enterprises because they usually use vulnerable systems with vulnerable software. After exploiting the vulnerabilities (easy task), the malware can exploit WD, too(y).

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
There is no rush for H_C users in the home environment because exploiting WD requires first to bypass H_C restrictions.
WD Sandbox is most important in enterprises because they usually use vulnerable systems with vulnerable software. After exploiting the vulnerabilities (easy task), the malware can exploit WD, too

This was my general sense about using the sandbox with H_C, and a close reading of MS' original announcement points toward this feature as prescribed for enterprises.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.