I uninstalled Avast free and went back to Windows Defender

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@Raffaele:

You may use tool Hard_Configurator (@Andy Ful) to harden system security.

In System Backup, You may add Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliable, I would not trust only in Windows System Restore :unsure:

Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing :)

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
You may want to start with ConfigureDefender. Very easy to use.

"ConfigureDefender utility is a GUI application to view and configure important Defender settings on Windows 10. It mostly uses PowerShell cmdlets (with a few exceptions). Furthermore, the user can apply one of three predefined Protection Levels: Default, High, and Max. After changing the settings the computer has to be rebooted."

You may find it here

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
The problem with Windows Defender is alware service executable with high cpu usage...
I was unable to solve the problem and installed bitdefender free

How high was it? How long did it last? Did you try restarting your machine? Was it scanning your machine at the time?

Bitdefender is not a bad choice. If you're going to keep it, please update your configuration. (y)

Raffaele

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 1, 2017
How high was it? How long did it last? Did you try restarting your machine? Was it scanning your machine at the time?

Bitdefender is not a bad choice. If you're going to keep it, please update your configuration. (y)
There is a process that starts automatically after 10 minutes of inactivity on the PC.
I disabled it in task scheduler but nothing.
So, my choice is Bitdefender

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.