Assigned Ram usage of Zemana Anti-Malware with active protection

This thread is being handled by a member of the staff.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
all I have to do is exit ZAM and then start it again, and I get normal numbers.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Even with the 2.21.2.139 version (June 30, 2016) ?
I removed it a version before that so don't know. I asked about ram usage and they told me it's normal to go high when you have lots of ram available. This is something i understand but don't agree with so i removed it.
After a fresh reboot, what are the MBs values of the two ZAM process ?
On restart it's low. 30MB or something around that.

Reactions: silversurfer

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I removed it a version before that so don't know. I asked about ram usage and they told me it's normal to go high when you have lots of ram available. This is something i understand but don't agree with so i removed it.

On restart it's low. 30MB or something around that.
That's strange, mine stay less than 41 MB all the time ( without a scan)

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
That's strange, mine stay less than 41 MB all the time ( without a scan)
Maybe you have less free ram than me? They said ram usage depends on available ram.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I usually have at least 4 gb of free ram. maybe that is why it goes high?

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
If you have enough of free RAM you guys should not worry. The RAM that is unused has no impact on the performance of the machine. ZAM memory usage may differ from machine to machine, and from time to time...
If the operating system is only using 4GB out of 8GB, it will run no differently to a machine using 4GB out of 16GB.

Reactions: juhful and XhenEd

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Maybe you have less free ram than me? They said ram usage depends on available ram.
I usually have at least 4 gb of free ram. maybe that is why it goes high?
I will make a test.
I'm playing WoW currently : 1 500 MB RAM used. With all programs that are running (some tests etc) : 6.3 Go/ 8 Go used.
=> ZAM process at this moment is using less than 40 MB

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
If you have enough of free RAM you guys should not worry. The RAM that is unused has no impact on the performance of the machine. ZAM memory usage may differ from machine to machine, and from time to time...
It's not a matter that it affects me. It's a matter of personal opinion. I don't want any application i use to get more ram because it's there. If it operates ok with 30MB at start it should continue to operate at a similar number and not jump 6 times.
Now if the devs want it to operate in this way for A,B reason good for them and people who don't care. I just uninstall.

Reactions: DardiM

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
It's not a matter that it affects me. It's a matter of personal opinion. I don't want any application i use to get more ram because it's there. If it operates ok with 30MB at start it should continue to operate at a similar number and not jump 6 times.
Now if the devs want it to operate in this way for A,B reason good for them and people who don't care. I just uninstall.
I just say that if you uninstall an app, because it's changing it's RAM usage in time, then the reason for your uninstall is wrong, because many apps and windows processes does just that when they need more memory to operate in given circumstances. Of course, everything can be improved...

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I just say that if you uninstall an app, because it's changing it's RAM usage in time, then the reason for your uninstall is wrong, because many apps and windows processes does just that when they need more memory to operate in given circumstances. Of course, everything can be improved...
You said the magic word. When they need it not when more time operating passes. Anw it's my personal opinion to operate my pc in such way. I will survive without ZAM until i see the ram usage it's constant.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
You said the magic word. When they need it not when more time operating passes. Anw it's my personal opinion to operate my pc in such way. I will survive without ZAM until i see the ram usage it's constant.
On my machine it elevates to ~100MBs and after some time drops on 34megs, then after some time it is high again and so on. But more low than high. That's why I said it's normal. Apps does that, ESET does it, Windows Defender does it, Compressed Memory and Superfetch services does it, Svhost services does it... Your machine, your will, I'm not defending ZAM, just sayin' that users with enough RAM will not feel the difference. Your habits are just another thing

Reactions: SHvFl

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
On my machine it elevates to ~100MBs and after some time drops on 34megs, then after some time it is high again and so on. But more low than high. That's why I said it's normal. Apps does that, ESET does it, Windows Defender does it, Compressed Memory and Superfetch services does it, Svhost services does it... Your machine, your will, I'm not defending ZAM, just sayin' that users with enough RAM will not feel the difference. Your habits are just another thing
Mine doesn't drop it stays at around 200MB with no change until i close it and then start it again. If it dropped its ram usage when it was done doing what it does then all good. As you said most applications do that and release unused memory when not needed. Thing is ZAM doesn't consider it a bug to investigate more which is cool i guess.

Reactions: BoraMurdar

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
If it dropped its ram usage when it was done doing what it does then all good
Maybe it is using it for something :) I'm sure they will fix it if there is objective reason behind it ;)

Reactions: SHvFl

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I will make a test.
I'm playing WoW currently : 1 500 MB RAM used. With all programs that are running (some tests etc) : 6.3 Go/ 8 Go used.
=> ZAM process at this moment is using less than 40 MB
Test result :
RAM 6/8 GB => 4/8 GB and ZAM still at less than 40 MB (no modification)

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Mine Zemana eat now 187,7MB ram
i have total 64 GB / 57 Free aurond (7 GB in usage - 1 game Dota2 and Firefox with 12 tabs now)

Reactions: DardiM

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Yeah I would expect the RAM usage to be up if you are using ZAM's protection with pandora. The RAM usage is worth it though. Rather have a working PC then one filled to the brim broken with millions of viruses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.