Ransomware or Hoax? Concerned.

Ray55

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 30, 2018
Hi,

Just made an account in this forum. I got an email yesterday claiming to be from my own account with my old password!! It says he has all my data and pics etc. It is asking for payment via bitcoin. In case of denial it threatened to send all the info to my contacts.

After recieving this email, I am not able to sleep or focus on other work. I have spent the whole day, whole day, looking for best ransomware protection and prevention.

I am very distrubed. I have changed all my passwords and added 2FA in all. I use Windows 10 with ESET security.

What should I do now? They have my old password - so is it for real or is it just a scam/hoax?

The email reads like this:
Code:
Hello!

I'm a programmer who cracked your email account and device about half year ago.
You entered a password on one of the insecure site you visited, and I catched it.
Your password from ******outlook.in on moment of crack: ****78 (Astrick hash is my/thread poster addition)

Of course you can will change your password, or already made it.
But it doesn't matter, my rat software update it every time.

Please don't try to contact me or find me, it is impossible, since I sent you an email from your email account.

Through your e-mail, I uploaded malicious code to your Operation System.
I saved all of your contacts with friends, colleagues, relatives and a complete history of visits to the Internet resources.
Also I installed a rat software on your device and long tome spying for you.

You are not my only victim, I usually lock devices and ask for a ransom.
But I was struck by the sites of intimate content that you very often visit.

I am in shock of your reach fantasies! Wow! I've never seen anything like this!
I did not even know that SUCH content could be so exciting!

So, when you had fun on intime sites (you know what I mean!)
I made screenshot with using my program from your camera of yours device.
After that, I jointed them to the content of the currently viewed site.

Will be funny when I send these photos to your contacts! And if your relatives see it?
BUT I'm sure you don't want it. I definitely would not want to ...

I will not do this if you pay me a little amount.
I think $893 is a nice price for it!

I accept only Bitcoins.
My BTC wallet: 1HQ7wGdA5G9qUtM8jyDt5obDv1x3vEvjCy

If you have difficulty with this - Ask Google "how to make a payment on a bitcoin wallet". It's easy.
After receiving the above amount, all your data will be immediately removed automatically.
My virus will also will be destroy itself from your operating system.

My Trojan have auto alert, after this email is looked, I will be know it!

You have 2 days (48 hours) for make a payment.
If this does not happen - all your contacts will get crazy shots with your dirty life!
And so that you do not obstruct me, your device will be locked (also after 48 hours)

Do not take this frivolously! This is the last warning!
Various security services or antiviruses won't help you for sure (I have already collected all your data).

Here are the recommendations of a professional:
Antiviruses do not help against modern malicious code. Just do not enter your passwords on unsafe sites!

I hope you will be prudent.
Bye.
Thanks

Ray

Ray55

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 30, 2018
Hi guys, relieved to hear that its a hoax. Just want to know is there a way to 2FA Google drive and Onedrive? I keep lots of photos and sensitive work document there. How to protect it?

Thanks

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hi guys, relieved to hear that its a hoax. Just want to know is there a way to 2FA Google drive and Onedrive? ?

Thanks
Yes. This is done through your Google account and your Microsoft account, and will apply to all your Google and Microsoft services and apps.

Like the others said, this is a well-known hoax. Just go into your email account, and I am willing to bet you won't find that message in the Sent items folder.

E

Eddie Morra

@shmu26 There was a spoofing trick to make e-mails appear in the targets Sent folder when using Gmail awhile ago. I am not sure if it still works. The verification to test whether it was legitimately sent from the current account would be through the e-mail header assuming it was not somehow subverted.

Google was basically listing all e-maila with a From as your own e-mail without checking verification.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@shmu26 There was a spoofing trick to make e-mails appear in the targets Sent folder when using Gmail awhile ago. I am not sure if it still works. The verification to test whether it was legitimately sent from the current account would be through the e-mail header assuming it was not somehow subverted.

Google was basically listing all e-maila with a From as your own e-mail without checking verification.
Okay, but I doubt that they are so sophisticated to spoof it like that.
If I bet wrong, and the message appears in the Sent items folder, then the next step is to let Eddie take a look at the header :)

Ray55

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 30, 2018
Yes. This is done through your Google account and your Microsoft account, and will apply to all your Google and Microsoft services and apps.

Like the others said, this is a well-known hoax. Just go into your email account, and I am willing to bet you won't find that message in the Sent items folder.

Yup, it is not showing up in my sent folder.

Ray55

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 30, 2018
But they have my old password, so if they indeed got their hands on in my email would it be possible for them get access to my phone contacts as well? And the documents in my onedrive as well?

The password they are talking about could be 6-8 months old. I changed it thereafter by making some addition in the old password. I changed it again after this ransomware email.

Last edited:

Ray55

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 30, 2018
Guys,

I see that there is not much information on Google about this particular ransomware email. Only few forums talking about it. Since this an expert forum on security, I assume this thread will come up in first page to whosoever will look for ransomware email on Google.

So to benefit of me, and many others who will come by Google search, can the experts suggest one comprehensive anti-ransomware for Windows and Android?

By comprehensive I mean the one which can eliminate zero day ransomware threats, as well as capable of blocking/removing screen lock threats and can also prevent file crypting by rogues. Idealy capable of decryting as well.

So many well informed folks and experts here - can you suggest one such software for Windows and Android?

Thanks

Regards

Ray

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
1 If the message you received is not in your sent items, that is conclusive proof that it was not sent from your account, that the sender is a liar, and that it is a hoax.

2 Even if he has your old password, along with several million other old passwords available on the dark web for a few dollars, it is of no use to him, once you have updated the password.

3 Don't use your new email password on other sites. If you did, change your password again. Because if you use the same password on lots of sites, then as soon as one of them gets hacked, you are in trouble again.

4 Ransomware comes in very many shapes and forms. On a Windows PC, you can protect yourself by practicing good user habits, and also by installing good security software. You can learn about both on this site. Just look around. The strongest protection is a default/deny setup. You can read about it here. On Android, the main thing is not to install risky apps, and not to grant them permissions.

Ray55

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 30, 2018
Last edited:
Reactions: vtqhtr413 and AtlBo

Ray55

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 30, 2018
Hi

Appreciate your reply @shmu26 But it would be further helpful if you/others could recco some anti-ransomwares softwares and apps also. My whole day got wasted y'day searching for them. So many things to look for. It becomes difficult to choose. Head spinning.

Thanks

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hi

Appreciate your reply @shmu26 But it would be further helpful if you/others could recco some anti-ransomwares softwares and apps also. My whole day got wasted y'day searching for them. So many things to look for. It becomes difficult to choose. Head spinning.

Thanks
So the thing is, you need to broaden your perspective a little bit: don't think "protection from ransomware", think "protection from malware". Then you will find the answer to your question.
The only effective way to protect against ransomware is to protect against malware in general.
By the way, ransomware attacks on home users are on the decline. There are other forms of malware that are becoming more common these days, such as miners.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Hi

Thanks

But there is no simple answer to that.

If you Google 'anti-ransomware tests' -- you will see multiple lists of products that include standard AVs.

Many assert that the best protection is good backup.

You can look at (among MANY other products)..

BitDefender Anti-Ransomware. ...
Zemana
Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta
HitmanPro.Alert
Kaspersky Anti-ransomware Tool

But ransomware is now handled as any other malware... so the standard AV products are relevant... ESET, Norton, Trend..

And... ''default deny' products may be the most effective tool available.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.