Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Using default settings.
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes Free, Emsisoft Emergency Kit and HitmanPro
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Microsoft Edge(Chromium version) with ublock Origin, Bitwarden Password Manager and HTTPS Everywhere
Secure DNS
Quad9 DNS
Desktop VPN
None
Password manager
Bitwarden Password Manager
Maintenance tools
CCleaner and Defraggler
File and Photo backup
External HDD
System recovery
Macrium Reflect 8 Free Edition
Risk factors
    • Working from home
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
Laptop Model: Asus X550LB
CPU - Intel i5-4200U
GPU - Intel HD 4400 + Nvidia GT 740M(2 GB)
RAM - 8 GB DDR3L 1600 MHz(2 x 4 GB)
HDD - 1 TB
SSD - PNY CS900 Series 240GB
Notable changes
Added SSD 2.5 PNY CS900 Series 240GB
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@razorfancy:

Windows UAC -> Set to Always Notify.

Network firewall -> You may check in Your router if it has integrated FireWall.

External HDD -> You may also try backup cloud services.

Also, I don't use Edge as my main browser, but I guess HTTPS Everywhere add-on is not needed anymore 🤔

Thanks for sharing :)

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
@razorfancy:

Windows UAC -> Set to Always Notify.

Network firewall -> You may check in Your router if it has integrated FireWall.

External HDD -> You may also try backup cloud services.

Also, I don't use Edge as my main browser, but I guess HTTPS Everywhere add-on is not needed anymore 🤔

Thanks for sharing :)
Hopefully in Edge 97 scheduled for the week of 06-Jan-2022 Automatic HTTPS will be default.
In the current version it is not there, only when enabling a flag (edge://flags/#edge-automatic-https).

razorfancy

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
My Laptop is 8 years old but still works fine so I am thinking about getting a SSD to make Windows and Apps open faster but I definitely not gonna buy 1 TB SSD(around 80 to 100 euros in Portugal) because its a heavy investment for such a old pc but I am thinking about buying a Caddy to replace my laptop DVD drive so I can have 2 disks(1 TB HDD + 120 GB SSD).

Buying both things cost me 27,80 euros(Caddy is 7,90 euros + SSD 2.5 PNY CS900 120 GB is 19,90 euros).

There is one thing I would like to mention, I gonna have to open my laptop to replace DVD Drive with the Caddy, thankfully there is multiple tutorials on YouTube for my pc(Asus X550LB) showing how to do it but of course there is still a risk of me messing up things.

So considering my pc age, the risk of me messing up things and the cost of the caddy + SSD have, I would like to know your guys opinion about if I should do this upgrade or not.

Last edited:

razorfancy

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
I wouldn't bother with a machine this old just for a bit more speed.
Thx for giving your opinion.

@Gandalf_The_Grey could you give me your opinion about adding SSD or not, I would like to know your opinion because you have a laptop with similar age and CPU

There is one more thing I would like to mention, I dont plan to get a new pc until this pc I current have stops working.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Thx for giving your opinion.

@Gandalf_The_Grey could you give me your opinion about adding SSD or not, I would like to know your opinion because you have a laptop with similar age and CPU

There is one more thing I would like to mention, I dont plan to get a new pc until this pc I current have stops working.
I don' 't want you to break anything, but I would do it. After a clean install of Windows on your new SSD and your data on your HDD you will notice a speed increase. Windows 10 and 11 are made for a SSD.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I don' 't want you to break anything, but I would do it. After a clean install of Windows on your new SSD and your data on your HDD you will notice a speed increase. Windows 10 and 11 are made for a SSD.
I saw this today and it got me thinking ...
As an aside, these days I do not recommend anyone purchasing or using a system without an SSD drive as your boot drive. Anyone with older hard drives will find that their system is getting slower and slower, with sub-par performance.
Before you know it, Windows 11 22H2 will be here

razorfancy

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
I saw this today and it got me thinking ...

Before you know it, Windows 11 22H2 will be here
I also saw this news about SSD possibly becoming mandatory for the Windows partition in a near future:

@Gandalf_The_Grey If I didnt have to open my laptop to replace the DVD Drive with the Caddy, I probably would have already added the SSD, that is the main reason why I am debating if I should do it or not.

I probably gonna wait for Windows 11 22h2 to be official released and then take a final decision.

razorfancy

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
@Gandalf_The_Grey @oldschool I bought the SSD and the Caddy last Monday but end up buying a 240 GB SSD because it only was 5 euros more than the 120GB version.

It took sometime to install the Caddy but fortunately everything went well.

I really like the much faster boot time and opening of apps + no more 100% disk usage

I would say the 32,89 euros(Caddy 7,90 euros + SSD 24,99 euros) that I spend to do this upgrade were well spended if my pc lasts at least 2 more year.

ynpfSqT.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.