Advice Request Real world examples of risks associated with using out of date devices

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

dpilot83

Thread author
Jan 12, 2023
I have two situations in my life right now where I have people using out of date devices and they are asking me what some real consequences of continuing to use those devices might be.

I’m not a security expert but I figured there would be people who are on this forum.

My parents are using iPhone 7’s so they’re on the latest version of iOS 15.

The private school my kids attend is using Chromebooks that have an AUE of 2019.

For my parents I’m concerned that when they log in to financial institutions, eventually a bad actor may gain access to their accounts the longer they continue to use their iPhones. But with 2-factor authentication on all of the financial institutions they deal with, is that even going to happen? Maybe there isn’t a practical risk?

For the school, I don’t think the students will be doing financial transactions on their Chromebooks but I have wondered if out of date devices on the school network can be used as vectors to damage other devices on the school network?

The students and staff use the same LAN. I suppose the staff is more likely to be affected negatively by a malicious actor than the students? There are also printers, a control system for the air conditioning, a bell system, a camera security system, etc. I would think those things aren’t much of a risk.

So can someone communicate to me in layman’s terms, is it OK to keep using these devices or are there real, concrete consequences that become increasingly likely as they continue to use devices that cannot be made current?

Thanks.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.