AV-Comparatives Real-World Protection Test July-August 2020

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Our Real-World Protection Test is currently one of the most comprehensive and complex tests available, using a relatively large number of test cases. Currently, we are running this test under Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit with up-to-date third-party software (such as Adobe Flash, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Java, etc.). Due to this, finding in-the-field working exploits and running malware is much more challenging than e.g. under a non-up-to-date system with unpatched/vulnerable third-party applications.

This fact sheet is a short overview of the Real-World Protection Test results of July and August 2020. The detailed overall result consumer product reports (covering four months each) are released in June and December. Each of the overall result reports will also contain a false-alarm test and will contain the awards the products reached based on their overall scores during the respective four-month period.

For more information about this Real-World Protection Test, please read the details and previous test reports available on https://www.av-comparatives.org
Full article:
Test Chart:

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
The AV names are shifted to the right and it's incredibly annoying to figure out which one is which. You had one job, AV Comparatives... Like someone has already said. If you want to see how much you can trust the testing look at how high they rate the worst AV.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The cumulative ranking in this year:
0/1134 TrendMicro, F-Secure
1/1134 Panda
2/1134 Kaspersky
3/1134 Avast, AVG
5/1134 Avira, Microsoft, Norton*
6/1134 Bitdefender, Eset
7/1134 GData
15/1134 McAfee

There were two tests. The first with 754 samples (February-May) and the second with 380 samples (July-August), so the total number of samples was 1134.

*Norton had 4 user-dependent detections, so depending on criteria it could get a higher scoring.
Bearing in mind the statistical errors, it seems that TrendMicro and F-Secure have scored best and McAfee scored worse. The rest of the AVs are hard to classify.

Last edited:

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Panda score 100% ? I never like Panda, and I have bad experiences with their buggy software and false positives.
I doubt about Panda being one of the best AV, but I can be mistaken...
F-secure use Avira engine and have better results? With the same engine, different performance? Something wear don't seem right...

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
Panda score 100% ? I never like Panda, and I have bad experiences with their buggy software and false positives.
I doubt about Panda being one of the best AV, but I can be mistaken...
F-secure use Avira engine and have better results? With the same engine, different performance? Something wear don't seem right...
F secure has deepguard, thus a higher detection rate.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.