Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I tested yesterday...
Folder with 500 malware scan take almast 1hour.
It found 110/500 (22%), removing take 20min

Very poor

http://www.bug.hr/forum/topic/sigur...x?page=1195&jumpto=4621514&sort=asc&view=flat

Thanks for the testing. Maybe it will get better.

I hope that Reason Software don't buy Unchecky just to let it die like some other software in the past.

AMEN! Way too much of killing of good stuff, especially from Google! Also, Symantec killing off PC Tools.

Mops21

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hello @Mops21. After performing the search, "Is herdProtect in current development?", I'd found the following answer on their community posts:
  • "As of today (Jan. 14, 2015) on the herdProtect download page, the development timeline on the left-hand side of the page still shows real-time protection as in development and slated for some future release. But the release estimate of fourth quarter of 2014 obviously isn't right, since we're past that point now.

I strongly suspect that once real-time protection is present in the latest version, the download page will be updated to show it as present in the current build, and the future development section will have something else listed instead.

On that basis, I do not believe that the current version has real-time protection yet. However, sometimes software can be updated and web site information isn't kept up as well as it should be (not necessarily here at herdProtect, but in general this can sometimes happen). So if you really want to be sure, then go ahead and download the latest version and install it to see if real-time protection is there or not.

If you download the newest one and it does have real-time protection, please come back and post here to let us all know.

Good luck,
    Drake
    "
Source: http://www.herdprotect.com/post-6657-is-there-anynews-about-updates-and-stuff.aspx

Hi

Thank you very much for your answers

With best Regards
Mops21

TIAGO

Apr 18, 2015
I really hope they keep developing the stand alone version of Unchecky, there is still some work to do. Once in a while, I come upon an installer that unchecky misses.

I mailed their support mail, hopping to get an answer from them. Still waiting on a reply.

Hi, finally got an answer from RaMMichaeL the creator of Unchecky. It is pretty much what he wrote in his blog.

We will continue to develop Unchecky, with the aide and support of Reason Software. We will continue to support a free standalone version, along with the Bundle Protection feature in Reason Core Security. You can also read about the future of Unchecky in the blog post by Andrew Newman, the founder of Reason Software.

I really hope they will keep the standalone Unchecky live!
Didn't know that Reason Core Security is still considered in beta, weird.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Any word about what engine it uses for scanning?

From the tests I have conducted, it seems like a good companion to Antivirus software. The free version includes Unchecky, and can be used for on-demand scans.

If you just want Unchecky, you can uninstall Reason Core Security and opt for the standalone and independently developed Unchecky software.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Does this product allow user discretion before removal of alleged "threats"? I find false positives to be so pervasive I will not scan with any software that does not allow me to see what it wants to remove first before removing it.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Does this product allow user discretion before removal of alleged "threats"? I find false positives to be so pervasive I will not scan with any software that does not allow me to see what it wants to remove first before removing it.
@conceptualclarity, the option for users' retaining choices in the event of FPs is of utmost importance for me as well.
I've not personally tested Reason Core Security (yet) but maybe I should.;)
Slightly off topic, last night, I'd experienced an auto-delete occurrence with MC Shield (USB Malware Scanner) that surprisingly worked in my favor. While updating Palemoon x64 portable, the updater did not complete after which I was directed to manually install the update. Rather than installing directly over the previous version, instead, an additional Palemoon installation which lacked all personalized settings & extensions appeared outside Palemoon's folder. I was not permitted to delete the separate installation, but upon restart MC Shield which had prior to this always prompted me to either 'delete' or 'ignore' possible false positives informed me "Malware: Palemoon...has been deleted"(o_O?) which, to say the least, :eek:startled me! The remaining updated Pale Moon program is now updated to the latest version, & works fine.:cool:

The moral: Perhaps trying Reason Core Security, even in a virtual environment, might be worthwhile!:):)

NekoJonez

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
I have this strange issue where I can only scan my SSD with my OS on it. But the program doesn't see my D drive.

Is this a known issue?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Mops21 Thanks for the update, RCS is now Windows 10 compatible, for those interested.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
@conceptualclarity, the option for users' retaining choices in the event of FPs is of utmost importance for me as well.
I've not personally tested Reason Core Security (yet) but maybe I should.;)
Slightly off topic, last night, I'd experienced an auto-delete occurrence with MC Shield (USB Malware Scanner) that surprisingly worked in my favor. While updating Palemoon x64 portable, the updater did not complete after which I was directed to manually install the update. Rather than installing directly over the previous version, instead, an additional Palemoon installation which lacked all personalized settings & extensions appeared outside Palemoon's folder. I was not permitted to delete the separate installation, but upon restart MC Shield which had prior to this always prompted me to either 'delete' or 'ignore' possible false positives informed me "Malware: Palemoon...has been deleted"(o_O?) which, to say the least, :eek:startled me! The remaining updated Pale Moon program is now updated to the latest version, & works fine.:cool:

The moral: Perhaps trying Reason Core Security, even in a virtual environment, might be worthwhile!:):)

I'm glad it worked out well for you, Cats. But it is unsettling to me because no security program should be going after PaleMoon, much less deleting it without permission. I suggest you repost the main body of this at http://malwaretips.com/threads/mcshield-anti-malware-tool-for-usb-a-good-option.48656/page-2

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Jebstream

Aug 20, 2015
I've been using RCS for a while now. I work for a major OEM and have developed new malware removal techniques for our frontline technical support. While Sysinternals is the cornerstone of this process, RCS is the primary AV / AS used for a number of reasons.

Firstly, since it is made by the people behind herdprotect, and the founder is known for his development in network based detection, it is safe to assume this uses the same engine(s) herdprotect uses, which is somewhere in the number of 68 I believe. This is proven, without official word from Reason themselves, by the fact RCS detects so many false positives.

Secondly, it completes a quick scan quickly. I guess that's to be expected, but I want to add that the quick scan is also pretty thorough. In my experience developing and testing these new processes that use RCS as the AV / AS of choice, the quick scan has historically removed most threats on customer's computers.

Thirdly, the additional features such as program uninstall and remediation tools are invaluable.

Fourthly, and this is something more geared towards our company, since the terms and conditions are friendly for a technical support environment. Obviously our company doesn't use RCS commercially and the customers always accept Reason's terms and conditions. This just makes it easier to use in a setting like we do.

There are some downsides to RCS.

Firstly, Being cloud-based, without an Internet connection or on a corporate network, you can and will run into issues with the tool.

Secondly, since RCS is rightly advertised as a second opinion scanner, it doesn't have a high detection rate. This is at least based on others tests. I admit I haven't tested it with own samples yet. My job role requires my attention elsewhere from time to time. I will say this, I've used RCS to clean dozens of systems, and each time that low detection rate has almost completely cleaned the system.

Thirdly, this AV / AS has a high, very high, false positive detection rate. This is likely attributed to the fact RCS likely uses the same engine(s) as herdprotect, which numbers somewhere around 68 I believe.

I want to allude to a comment by Mark Russinvoch, the creator of the Sysinternals Suite, and perhaps a genius when it comes to malware, that newer malware is simply going to become undetectable using standard detection methods. RCS, with people like Andrew Newman, will definitely become a much better AV / AS with higher detection rates. 22% isn't bad, by the way, when you consider Moheeb Rajab tested 4 major AV / AS engines and found they find around 35% of the threats. These are major engines that have been around for a long time with hundreds or thousands of people working to make them better. RCS will likely get its time.

I don't know. I don't think RCS is the future, but as it is right now, it's quite good. I do highly recommend it.

**EDIT** - I know I left out some links to sources for the comments by Mark and Moheeb, but you can find them using Google. Mark's comments are in the TechEd videos, while Moheeb has a paper published through Google and the University he works.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Jebstream What do you think about Unchecky that is integrated into Reason Core Security?

Note: Unchecky is still available as standalone software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.