Reduce Ram usage in windows 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RVS2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 17, 2016
Fresh install of Windows 10 Pro, v 1703. I noticed several unnecessary ram drains and bandwidth hogs.
What general processes and services can i stop. i'm a home user.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
You might try CleanMem Free/Pro it helps with memory leaks and generally reduces usage by 100-200 MB. Set the task to 5 min instead of default 15 min.
Running RAM cleaners often is not healthy for the system at least in my experience.
I would simply remove all the unwanted programs from the startup and try not to mess with services.msc.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Running RAM cleaners often is not healthy for the system at least in my experience.
I would simply remove all the unwanted programs from the startup and try not to mess with services.msc.
Here's a statement from the developer website

About CleanMem
So how does CleanMem work?
CleanMem Works by calling a Windows API. CleanMem doesn't change the working set of a processes. It simply asks Windows to do all the work. So Windows does the trimming, the moving and manages everything. This is why there is never any crashes of programs and any performance hit to the system. To put it short CleanMem doesn't work against the Windows memory manager, it works with it

Fresh install of Windows 10 Pro, v 1703. I noticed several unnecessary ram drains and bandwidth hogs.
What general processes and services can i stop. i'm a home user.

Unless the OS is alerting you that physical memory is reaching capacity I would not worry about it. I've run Windows 10 to 90 % RAM capacity without any noticeable system impact.

You didn't provide any hardware details, so we're all guessing.

Reactions: brambedkar59

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
As @rockstarrocks already said, disable background apps. That should decrease RAM usage significantly. About bandwidth usage, you're using Windows 10 so that's kinda normal. Windows 10 includes telemetry which constantly sends data to Microsoft's servers. You can use O&O ShutUp10 to silent Windows a little bit more, but keep in mind that you cannot turn off telemetry completely.

I recommend GlassWire, it shows where programs connect and tracks data usage, you can even block internet access to some programs (because GlassWire uses Windows Firewall API).

HaMeR

Level 3
Verified
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 16, 2014
Have a look to windows services and disable some services. Also uninstall all the bloatware like candy crush, app store...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.