------------------------
netbios is disabled
TCP-in connections are blocked
DCOM is disabled
windows remote desktop is disabled
NTVDM is disabled
windows script host is disabled
autorun function is disabled

i use several other tweaks to try to make windows more secure..

i have used a limited-user account, before, but i haven't been using one, lately.. i might go back to using a limited-user account..

i am familiar with "sandboxie," but i don't think that i need it, so i don't use it..

i mostly rely on "noscript" to prevent any driveby malware-infections.. the possible driveby malware-infections are the ones that concern me..

i also use a HOSTS file, the hpHosts HOSTS file, merged with other HOSTS files..

i also use "spywareblaster," including pattaya's blocklist and my own custom blocklist..

Z

ZeroDay

Nice setup. Have you tweaked Avira's settings to get the best from it? Also do you use anything for backups? And a system imaging tool?

redwolfe_98

Thread author
Jul 29, 2013
have you tweaked avira's settings to get the best from it?
yes, as best as i know how..

one thing that i like about the avira program is that its "webguard" has a "blocked requests" feature which allows one to block various types of files from being downloaded.. i think that most people who use the avira program don't take advantage of that feature but i do.. i use it to block many types of files from being downloaded.. for example, it will block "EXE" files and "JAR" files from being downloaded..

do you use anything for backups? and a system imaging tool?
i backup things like bookmarks, documents, etc etc, if that is what you mean.. however, i have never used "imaging"..

maybe you meant something else by "backups"? maybe like for "emergency recovery"? i don't use windows "system restore".. i use "ERUNT", instead.. "ERUNT" is used to restore registry-backups..

based on my experience with "system restore," i don't think that it is reliable..

i am interested in using "imaging" but i am not sure how to get started, or how to set things up, for imaging..

i would appreciate any tips about how to get started, and how to set things up, for imaging..

i suppose i would need a second harddrive for the images? can i use a second harddrive that is an "internal" drive? or does it have to be an "external" drive?

i have heard people recommending "macrium reflect" for creating images so that is probably what i would go with.. before, i had considered using a "terabyte" program for imaging..

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.