Resident Antivirus/Antimalware program for external HDD's

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
You mean encryption can prevent a malware infection? If it can then there's no need of AV/AM software, right?

Also, if the malware screws up the encryption (although not being able to break the password-protected drive) then I think you'll not be able to decrypt the drive.

I would like to see you drop a malicious payload on a hard drive that you cannot even access. If you can, please do show me, because I'm really curious.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I would like to see you drop a malicious payload on a hard drive that you cannot even access. If you can, please do show me, because I'm really curious.
How about a ransomware that can infect a connected drive? Can it work in this instance?

larry goes to church

Level 3
Verified
Mar 10, 2017
Bitlo
Does it help when I connect to my friends' computers? My system is clean always, so that isn't an issue for me.
Bitlocker comes standard on windows machines.

Just encrypt the drive with BL.
However what your asking for is essentially a USB stick that you plug in and it maintains system security. Sort of like a portable app.
I really doubt there are portable apps for AV's but throw it in google... who knows you may come up lucky.

Keep in mind encryption does nothing after you've put the password in.
If you mates computer and he has a cryto locker virus on his PC. Your files will be infected.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
How about a ransomware that can infect a connected drive? Can it work in this instance?

I repeat: you cannot access the drive (therefore, you cannot access its content). How is a Ransomware supposed to encrypt the files it contains in that case?
It can't.

Reactions: kev216

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I repeat: you cannot access the drive (therefore, you cannot access its content). How is a Ransomware supposed to encrypt the files it contains in that case?
It can't.
Yes, I cannot access the drive because I don't have the password. But a malware need not decrypt your drive in order to screw the files up. Ransomware cannot encrypt the files since they are already being encrypted. What if the ransomware screws up the encryption itself such that you cannot decrypt the drive properly? Is it possible?

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Yes, I cannot access the drive because I don't have the password. But a malware need not decrypt your drive in order to screw the files up. Ransomware cannot encrypt the files since they are already being encrypted. What if the ransomware screws up the encryption itself such that you cannot decrypt the drive properly? Is it possible?

I don't know how to word it in a more clear way.

Hard drive cannot be accessed, because it is encrypted and therefore locked (until you put the password to unlock it and freely access it).
Ransomware needs to access the drive in order to enumerate the files and encrypt them.
Since the Ransomware cannot access the drive, it cannot encrypt the files.
End of story.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.