Thread author
Jan 18, 2024
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Problem with the hard drive
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Help me set up my hard drive.
Your current Antivirus
AVG
Hello, I have encountered an unpleasant event. My external hard drive has stopped working. The disc is no longer readable . When I connect the disc to my computer, the system asks me to format it.

There are very important files on the disc.

Does anyone know how to help me?

Ryan Morgan

Thread author
Jan 18, 2024
Check the cable connections are secure when plugging them in. Does the drive spin up when powered?

What do you see when viewing Windows Disk Management for the ExHDD?

You can try Download Recuva | Recover deleted files, free!
I took the drive out of the box and connected it via the SATA interface.
And I got the following picture.
1705588131894.png

Reactions: Dave Russo
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you search 'External HDD shows as RAW' online, there are some solutions and troubleshooting methods to try without formatting the drive.

Another member of the forum may be able to assist if they have had experience with those types of software.

Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Hetman Partition Recovery usually works very well in my experience, but is quite expensive to buy. It is occasionally available for free as a giveaway. But it seems there are no current giveaways for this, or its rebrand Magic Partition Recovery.

You can buy it with a 20% discount from the following link. But I would not buy it without trying the trial version first.

While I prefer the above software, this has worked well for me too. It's expensive as well, but I also got this one a few years ago as a giveaway. As above, you should install the trial version before buying.

There is a current giveaway for RecoverXData Pro. I've never used it, so can't comment on its effectiveness. But it should be a good starting point as it's free.

I just thought of OnTrack's EasyRecovery too. This has a very good reputation and comes from a company that does physical data recovery from damaged drives too. I haven't used it for many years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.