Troubleshoot SSD clone failed now I cannot install windows 10 on the new SSD drive

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
SSD drive will not boot to win 10 after a fresh install
I get the error message above
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
reformatted the hard drive and install win 10
Hooked the hard to a different computer and used computer management to
reformat the hard drive.
But this did not help
clone failed on a new ssd drive I cannot get a computer to boot up with new install of win 10

I see this error
an unexpected I\O error gas occurred
file: \windows\system32\winloaded.exe
error code : 0xc00000e9

I have hooked the hard drive up external and erased it and reformatted it, then installed
win 10 but the computer will not boot I get the error above. I think it is the bootmgr but I dont know how
to fix it
Thanks in advance
Julie

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Seems more of a user error, your Windows ISO may be corrupt and I suggest you reset the BIOS settings.

If your MB doesn't even detect the UEFI boot while trying to boot Windows 10 Setup, it means UEFI is not working on your PC and will default to Legacy.

You do not need any third-party software to convert your disk to anything, Windows does that by default depending on boot mode you used, and you can launch command prompt from Setup to do that manually if you wish.
I did reset all the bios settings back to default and checked my win 10 ISO with another drive it works fine. But when I reinstalled win 10 on the 1st SSD drive I still get the same
error code. It seems like it should be an easy fix, but it sure is not. I just dont know why the SSD drive wont totally erase because that is what I think it might be.

Upvote 0
L

Local Host

I did reset all the bios settings back to default and checked my win 10 ISO with another drive it works fine. But when I reinstalled win 10 on the 1st SSD drive I still get the same
error code. It seems like it should be an easy fix, but it sure is not. I just dont know why the SSD drive wont totally erase because that is what I think it might be.
Then you may have screwed up the partitions, and need to make a proper format through CMD, check on partition management as well.

Upvote 0

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
if you'd like to try again on the problem ssd: boot using your installation media and then hit shift + F10 to open a command prompt. Then type the following ensuring you select the correct disk (it will be erased):

▪ diskpart
▪ list disk
▪ select disk x (the disk number of the target disk)
▪ clean
▪ convert gpt
▪ exit

convert-gpt-cmd-windows-10.png

when done, close the cmd prompt and continue with the win10
installation. Good luck (y)

Upvote 0

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
You say this is a new SSD? If you feel you've tried everything and then some, maybe it's time to RMA and move on. SSDs in Windows 10 are generally plug-and-play. It shouldn't be this drawn-out and complicated. If you need proof to show the vendor, take a picture of the error message with your phone.

Drives can go at any time or be defective out of the box though it's rare. My SSD was corrupted in the recovery partition after 1.5 years. I could not reformat or reinstall Windows by any means. It was creepy too as the operating system ran perfectly well. But for how long? So I cut my losses and bought a replacement.

Upvote 1

Malleable

Level 1
Mar 2, 2021
What software did you create the clone image with? Just me, but on my personal computer I use Bitlocker on all my drives (internal/external) and Macrium Reflect free so cloning is just for getting back up in emergencies as Macrium in the past muddied my Bitlocker partitions picture. If your ssd drive proves functional you probably can open the entire clone image and access it like a File Explorer directory to recover all your data. I'm old school and Windows slowly grows with needless junk on your hard drive like a low budget 1960s science fiction movie creature. A clean OS/programs reinstall with todays internet speeds and Windows speed improvements takes me about 4 hours instead of a day and a half like it used to. This way you eliminate carryover problems. For worst case scenarios if you can't access your clone image to recover your personal data files you may be able to clone the ssd drive then boot to a Linux Live CD and recover what you need that way. It's a simple process. When it works. You can also format a hard drive this way and, if my memory serves me correctly, Windows will prompt you to initialize it upon install or you can initialize it on another computer either internally or on something like a Sabrent hard drive docking station.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.