• 2 Stars (Fair)

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • 1 Stars (Poor)

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have never used Rollback RX Pro.

Votes: 59 50.0%

• Total voters

Thread author
Does it still have any issue with SSD TRIM without the need to uninstall Rollback Rx? I thought that froggie guy at Wilders says it has problems?

:rolleyes:

Since you have to uninstall it for major updates on Windows 10 it is not that big of a deal. If your drive is at less that 25 % of capacity it is also not that big of a deal. You can TRIM manually when RBRx is uninstalled once every couple of months or do like Umbra says above.

I never had problems with it. It was one of my most reliable softs. Others had problems with it because they piled bunches of other softs on top of it - especially other backup\recovery solutions.

When it comes to Windows, less is more. You really are better off using Chrome OS if you are paranoid about stuff.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Issues were on v9 , since v10.5 i had none.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
now in the latest versions, you don't have to uninstall it, you have to turn-off the protection of RX, reboot, TRIM the SSD, and re-enable the protection; however you will loose snapshots.
Still not a good way to do things

:rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
You don't have the choice if you want TRIM, anyway since you have to uninstall it every 6 months because of Win10 Upgrades, it is not big deal now.

Reactions: HarborFront

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
With RBRx you are not supposed to manage too many snapshots. The user is supposed to closely manage their snapshots and keep them under control. They make a Drive Clone RX for backing up the snapshots. Not sure if it works. Never tried it.
I thought it has an auto-delete feature for the number of snaphots the user can specify beyond which the older ones will be auto deleted thus managing them in this sense?

Thread author
I thought it has an auto-delete feature for the number of snaphots the user can specify beyond which the older ones will be auto deleted thus managing them in this sense?

Yeah, it has all that. You can even set it to revert to clean snapshot upon system reboot. It is pretty flexible. I hit it pretty hard with malware and it reliably recovered. I can recommend it. I have licenses for it. I use it. I don't always have it installed as I don't always need it for what I am doing, but if you told me I had to configure a system for combat then RBRx would be installed. I am just not the paranoid type to be prepared for combat all the time.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Which is a better combo?

RollBack Rx(Pro) with Shadow Defender

or

Macrium Reflect(Pro) with Shadow Defender

FYI, I have SD. So now is just finding the above right combo

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
It deletes them by age, sometimes you want to keep some you created long time ago, so you have to manage them manually, i personally disabled the auto-deletion.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
SD with RBRx is duplication.

SD with MRPro is not duplication.

I think that answers your question.
How about using the strengths of Rollback below as complements to SD?

1) It works like a time machine to allow the user to restore to an earlier snapshot date when the current system faces a problem like infected with malware or corrupted. With Shadow Defender it’s either commit all (or selected) changes or get rid of all changes upon reboot. Protection with Shadow Defender is only available when in Shadow Mode

2) Convenient and fast for frequent uses and the speed of making and restoring snapshots

3) You can rollback to the previous snapshot without shutting down and reboot e.g. when you dislike a newly installed software (no uninstallation of the software needed here)

4) Snapshot works prior to Windows startup. It can help if getting BSOD after Windows updates and couldn’t boot into Windows (even via Safe Mode) or run Window System Restore

5) With rolling back it allows the recovery of files no longer exist in the current system state

6) Snapshot software works on top (outside) of Windows. It’s unaffected by Shadow Defender’s Shadow Mode – a protection which would otherwise compromise the system if the Shadow Mode session was malware infected

Last edited:
Reactions: tonibalas
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Because using SD in RX = using a sandbox inside a VM, little gain and useless resources usage.

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
Reactions: tonibalas

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
I realized I haven't reviewed Rollback.

Like many I used to use Comodo Time Machine, which is a good program, but it was not being developed anymore. Found out it was an OEM of Rollback that no longer had the license, purchased the Pro Edition.

To the credit of the devs, they turned the program around. I had issues with the software going back as recently as version 10.5. Lots of Windows 10 issues, secure boot, disk image compatibility etc. Almost all the issues I had have been fixed.

So if you asked me around the time I used 10.5, I'd say it was maybe 2/5. Good concept with bad execution. Now that everything has been fixed, I'd say 4/5. My only issue is that I can't offload the snapshots to an external hard drive or store in the cloud. I get that the program needs them on the C: drive but it would be nice if they could work up to this.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

starsfighter

Level 1
Verified
Jun 16, 2016
as being a Realtime backup software(similar to windows point restore) effected my pc performance badly , working great fast backup&restore , after uninstalling it i noticed that windows restore had damaged and no longer works.....so i give it 3.5/5.
the software doesn't save images of backup.
it record what changed and reflex it like shadow defender, the backup location not one place if you change something in "D" it will save it "D" (y).

Last edited:

Thread author
by "compatible", they meant RX will work if a SSD and TRIM function are present, not that the TRIM function itself will work...marketing "polishing" :p

What a joke. -100 for HDS for whatever you want to call that one. Still RBRx is one of the better security related softs. One of the few softs I bought licenses.

That's why I stay out of the marketing room. Marketing just causes problems.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Sorry, just a sideline question

Besides the ability to create a system image (with differential/incremental backup methods) does Macrium Reflect provides all those RollBack strengths I listed in post #131 above (and more) in addition to truly fully support TRIM in SSD without issue.

If yes, then I'll go for MR + SD then

Thanks

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.