XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Ini my System, Rollback RX often show a bug. Rbx often fail to boot and can't uninstall it (no response from rbx boot menu).

When I try to access my drive with live CD, my system Drive require to be format first, before I can Access it.

So, it ruin my system Drive. Does anyone know how to prevent this?
I think you just have to "fix" the MBR to render RollBack Rx non-operational. :)

RollBack Rx and/or Windows failed to boot after installation

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
Curious. Will Rollback pass my image restore torture test. What I do to stress tests image restores, is start a restore going, and once it's started I hit the power reset. Trashes the system and the a restore fixes it. How would Rollback fair if the power reset in the middle of a restore to a different snapshot??

Reactions: bribon77 and XhenEd
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Ini my System, Rollback RX often show a bug. Rbx often fail to boot and can't uninstall it (no response from rbx boot menu).

When I try to access my drive with live CD, my system Drive require to be format first, before I can Access it.

So, it ruin my system Drive. Does anyone know how to prevent this?
1- Can you uninstall it normally from control panel.?
2- can you "stop" the protection (from tray icon)?

1- if yes do it.
2- if yes, do it and uninstall it.

Reactions: bribon77 and XhenEd

Maxwell Sien

Level 2
Verified
Nov 15, 2016
I think you just have to "fix" the MBR to render RollBack Rx non-operational. :)

RollBack Rx and/or Windows failed to boot after installation

Thank you, that's work..

1- Can you uninstall it normally from control panel.?
2- can you "stop" the protection (from tray icon)?

1- if yes do it.
2- if yes, do it and uninstall it.

I can't enter windows. Stuck ad Rollback Boot Screen. Even i try to restore to another snapshot dan Uinstall it from Boot Screen, it still get stuck.

This happen often. I don't know what does triggered it..

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Thank you, that's work..

I can't enter windows. Stuck ad Rollback Boot Screen. Even i try to restore to another snapshot dan Uinstall it from Boot Screen, it still get stuck.

You're welcome! At least, you now know how to disable RollBack Rx without even reformatting the drive. :)

In order for us to assess potential causes of incompatibility, it's best that you create your own configuration thread. I presume you haven't made one yet. :)

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Well I've tried it twice. And I had to format twice, so black screen ..... (I do not understand) .. have to learn to use it ... But if it seems a good Program.

Reactions: frogboy

Maxwell Sien

Level 2
Verified
Nov 15, 2016
You're welcome! At least, you now know how to disable RollBack Rx without even reformatting the drive. :)

In order for us to assess potential causes of incompatibility, it's best that you create your own configuration thread. I presume you haven't made one yet. :)

Thank you.. But this is not my main PC. I Only use it to test Malware or other Seurity Product.

I use Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit.
User Account Control -> Default.
I also use Malware Defender to analyse every live activity of testing Malware. But I always Turn it off if i had finished.

This Boot problem happens sometimes. Any Idea?

Reactions: frogboy and XhenEd

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Thank you.. But this is not my main PC. I Only use it to test Malware or other Seurity Product.

I also use Malware Defender to analyse every live activity of testing Malware. But I always Turn it off if i had finished.

You can still post your malware-testing configuration. You just have to state that the config is for malware-testing. :)

Anyway, @Umbra and @Lockdown are some of the experts when it comes to RollBack Rx. Hopefully, they can help you solve that boot problem. :)

Reactions: frogboy
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

Malware testing on live machine or in a VM?

Maxwell Sien

Level 2
Verified
Nov 15, 2016
You can still post your malware-testing configuration. You just have to state that the config is for malware-testing. :)

Anyway, @Umbra and @Lockdown are some of the experts when it comes to RollBack Rx. Hopefully, they can help you solve that boot problem. :)

Thank you..

Malware testing on live machine or in a VM?

Thank you for your attention in my problem.

On live Machine. But this machine is separate from my own machine.

Reactions: XhenEd

Thread author
Thank you, that's work..

Some ransomware - like Cerber - uses bcdedit.exe - which can cause the Windows Boot Loader to be damaged. Rollback RX is entirely dependent upon the Windows Boot Loader working properly.

If you are having problems, then uninstalling\re-installing Rollback RX itself might fix whatever is causing the problem. If that does not work, then repair the Windows Boot Loader using Windows install media (research how to do it online). If that does not work, then you are left with clean installing the OS.

When I experience such issues, I will try for a short while to fix the problem with some troubleshooting. If it doesn't get fixed within a few hours I clean install the OS and rebuild the system instead of wasting more time.

Restoring Windows using a restore image\image recovery solution is not the way to go. Whatever is causing the issue can be present in images you use to restore. If you are using Rollback RX with Macrium or other backup solutions, those softs are known to cause issues with Rollback RX.

Restoring Windows using a backup image is not the way to go. Clean install the OS using install media.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Thank you..
Thank you for your attention in my problem.
On live Machine. But this machine is separate from my own machine.
If a malware manage to manipulate bcedit.exe, it may disrupt RX.

If you do malware testing on live machines, just use the OS out of the box, this is the best way to evaluate the malware behavior. Just create a backup beforehand.

lol @Lockdown, beaten me from few minutes.

Reactions: frogboy and XhenEd

Maxwell Sien

Level 2
Verified
Nov 15, 2016
No, it doesn't mean that. I don't know whether Malware Defender changes OS settings or not. But the point is that you, yourself, shouldn't change anything in the OS if you want to analyze malware behavior. :)
Ok, got it.. Thank you..

Reactions: XhenEd

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Thanks for the review. I tried the program some time ago and the speed was realy great. Sad thing was i got the snapshots somehow corrupted and thought that the program was a backup program and not only a snapshot one :D After that i bought macrium reflect. For me an rollback time of <1 mins (if only a smaller change was made) with 100% success till now (macrium reflect) is more important than to save the extra 40secs or so through a faster snapshot with rollback rx and get problems if i dont have a real backup.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.