• Total voters

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
RE: [Review] Rollback RX Pro

Have to say I love Rollback Once I tried it. Was unsure at first because I thought that the normal backup method was the only thing out there. Till I saw this. I gave it a try and then had to buy the full version.

Great review as well Umbra.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012

I voted very good,although it has some drawbacks and it is not free,it is still a very good program and one i would recommend.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

i can't live with it, saved me many times when i trial some soft or when Windows Updates goes wrong. restore to a clean state in a minute.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012

Umbra Corp. said:
i can't live with it, saved me many times when i trial some soft or when Windows Updates goes wrong. restore to a clean state in a minute.

Trial Trail & trail :D

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012

i rated as excellent because it just simply is! :D

bart23

Dec 17, 2012
RE: Rollback RX Pro

Biozfear said:
In order words, it is like window's system restore basically but a paid solution?

Well - Windows system restore is really flaky. It only restores system files and registry entries only. No data or anything else on the hard drive. RollBack Rx restores the entire contents of the drive. They have a comparison of Windows system restore on their company website.
It's fast too; unlike backup, which takes hours, rollback rx restores in a single reboot.

I'm waiting for Windows 8 support. The guys at Horizon Datasys say that their next version 10 will be out in a few weeks. Here is a link to the the company's website: www.horizondatasys.com

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

bart23 said:
I'm waiting for Windows 8 support. The guys at Horizon Datasys say that their next version 10 will be out in a few weeks.

it works already on Win8, you just have to make sure that you have disabled UEFI/GPT features.

Jeroen1000

Jan 2, 2013

Colour me stupid but how can a 166 megabyte snapshot (as I just took one for my c: drive) restore 8+ GiB of data? I usually use Acronis to image my drive and its images are a lot larger.

How does Rollback RX pull this off?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

RX is not an imaging software like Acronis that copy the whole drive, RX create a "baseline" then records all changes made since that "baseline" into snaphots stored in a protected area in the drive.

read this:

Code:
Here is an exerpt from our KB article on how RollBack Rx uses disk space which may help other users as well; to better understand RollBack's use of disk space:

Unlike conventional backup/recovery solutions, RollBack Rx protects the system and data without creating duplicated copies of the files. This concept, it is very often confusing to many users who are used to "conventional" backup/recovery solutions. The following questions and answers outlines the fundamental ideas of how RollBack Rx uses disk space.

How much disk space do I need to setup RollBack Rx?

RollBack Rx protects the system and data in real time without creating duplicate copies, it doesn't take or reserve a lot of disk space to setup. RollBack Rx takes about 0.07% of hard disk space plus another 10 or 20MB for help and other graphic files to setup.

For example
You have a 10GB hard drive with 5GB data and 5GB free space.
RollBack Rx setup would take about 20MB disk space (10000MB*0.07%=7 MB, the other 10-20MB for help files, graphics and etc).
After setup RollBack Rx, you would have about 4.98GB free space.

How much disk space do I need to take a snapshot?

The space taken by a new snapshot is amount of data that's added (changed) since last snapshot, which is also the size of the snapshot as shown in RollBack Rx Snapshot Management console.

For example
You install RollBack Rx, setup creates a baseline snapshot, and you have 5GB free space.
You install Microsoft Office 2003, it takes about 800MB. You have 4.2GB free space.
You take a snapshot "Office-snapshot", the size of this snapshot is 800MB. You have about 4.2GB free space. (Note RollBack Rx didn't take any additional disk space to take this snapshot)

How can I delete files and free disk space from snapshots?

To free disk space from snapshots, you must meet one condition: the files should not be contained in any other snapshots. The rule of thumb is that if a file is no where to be found, it shouldn’t take any disk space. But if it’s found in a snapshot, it will take disk space.

For example
You install RollBack Rx, setup creates a baseline snapshot, and you have 5GB free space.
You install Microsoft Office 2003, it takes about 800MB. You have 4.2GB free space.
You take a snapshot "Office-snapshot"; the size of this snapshot is 800MB. You have about 4.2GB free space.
You uninstall Office 2003, it removes all the office files. (The free space is still 4.2GB, because the office files are in “office-snapshot”. If you restore to the “office-snapshot”, Office 2003 will be there; therefore, it’s on the hard drive).
You take a snapshot "no-office"; the space taken by this snapshot is almost nothing, because no data has been added since last snapshot. You have about 4.2GB free space.
You delete snapshot "office-snapshot". At this point, we only have Baseline snapshot which does not have Office 2003 and "no-office" snapshot which does not have Office 2003. So the 800MB space used by Office 2003 should be freed.
Run snapshot defragmenter. The free space should be about 5GB.

I deleted a snapshot, ran snapshot defragmenter, but free space remains unchanged. What's wrong?

It's very likely the snapshot you just deleted has children snapshots which inherited the data.

For example
You install Microsoft Office 2003, it takes about 800MB. 
You take snapshot "Office-snapshot", the size of this snapshot is 800MB. You have about 4.2GB free space.
You then take a new snapshot "new-snapshot"; "new-snapshot" is a child snapshot of "office-snapshot". There is no data added since "office-snapshot", so the size of "new-snapshot" is almost nothing. You have about 4.2GB free space.
You delete "office-snapshot", run snapshot defragmenter. But the free space is still at 4.2GB, no free space gained from deleting snapshot "office-snapshot". This is because the "new-snapshot" has the Office 2003 files, the space taken by Office 2003 cannot be freed.

Source

Jeroen1000

Jan 2, 2013

Thank you. It works a lot different than I expected. I hope it does not mind a free space wipe though but judging from your excerpt and the Wikipedia article on RollBack RX, this should be fine.

link to wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RollBack_Rx

Jeroen1000

Jan 2, 2013

Jeroen1000 said:
Thank you. It works a lot different than I expected. I hope it does not mind a free space wipe though but judging from your excerpt and the Wikipedia article on RollBack RX, this should be fine.

link to wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RollBack_Rx

I was quite wrong here. A free space wipe makes that the next snapshot is as large (in GiB) as the free space that gets wiped. Haven't look hard yet, but I hope Rollback Rx can be temporarily disabled when I perform actions like this.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

defragmenting and wipe space is not recommended as you see the negative effect now, same for using any installed imaging backup softwares.

you can't disable RX, it must be uninstalled, then after the wipe/cleaning/defragmentation. you will have a new baseline by re-installing it.

Jeroen1000

Jan 2, 2013

Bummer, that why I could not easily locate a "temporarily disable" option. By default, I wipe all the (sensitive) files I work on using BCWIPE (from Jetico). I'm betting using Truecrypt will lead to issues as well as they both install something to the MBR. Still, for many users Rollback RX is a very handy tool. Too bad I'm too paranoid then:)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

Jeroen1000 said:
I'm betting using Truecrypt will lead to issues as well as they both install something to the MBR. Still, for many users Rollback RX is a very handy tool. Too bad I'm too paranoid then:)

exact, once RX is installed , touching the MBR is a bad move ^^

mikeynyc

Jan 17, 2013

Umbra Corp. said:
Stranger said:
Trial Trail & trail :D

yes when i installed RX o Win8 , it makes my day :D

I have used this software for years and it has saved my life more times than I can recall. You are very brave to install Rollback RX on a Windows 8 system by disabling the GPT/UEFI features. Horizon Datasys, the software authors, do not support a Windows 8 installation and gives some pretty emphatic warnings against doing so. If anyone else reading this is going to try a Windows 8 installation, make sure you have a full backup of your system first and continue to backup incrementally using whatever backup software you may use. Someone suggested that System Restore is not compatible with Rollback Rx, which is not true. You can use Rollback Rx and System Restore simultaneously, but I've never found any reason to do so.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

mikeynyc said:
You are very brave to install Rollback RX on a Windows 8 system by disabling the GPT/UEFI features. Horizon Datasys, the software authors, do not support a Windows 8 installation and gives some pretty emphatic warnings against doing so.

My laptop doesn't support UEFI/GPT (3 years old), so win8 is installed on a MBR; so no issues with RX.

Welldone

Level 5
Verified
Dec 29, 2012

Get ready for version 10 release on Jan 25.
Pre-release of version 10 also available.
For more info:See Here

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

i will never beta-test things that touch my MBR ^^

Welldone

Level 5
Verified
Dec 29, 2012

Only for advanced users of Rollback Rx.
Welldone said:
Get ready for version 10 release on Jan 25.
Pre-release of version 10 also available.
For more info:See Here

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.