Advice Request Robbie's BitDefender Light & Secure Settings

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I'm sharing my light configuration for BitDefender Total Security 2020. Light enough to consume as little resources as possible without compromising security, focusing on blocking rather than disinfecting.

1. Why BitDefender?
BitDefender is definitely a market leader, with huge experience on the cybersecurity area and innovation, winning multiple awards and prizes for the great protection it can offer.

2. But BitDefender is buggy and consumes a lot of resources!
News! It doesn't. BitDefender used to have a bad reputation for being a buggy and heavy software, but things have changed since v2018. Right now, with 2020, it very light on resources, even lighter than ESET! And all major bugs have been fixed.

3. What's the objective of this thread?
Share with you a nice configuration, both in resource usage and protection, so you give the software a try and realize how good it is!

4. I don't know, sounds like advertising? Do you work for BitDefender?
No, but they paid me 4 million dollars to make this thread.

5. Why do you make this thread then?
I'm just contributing and helping users so Jack makes me a moderator and I can delete all of @oldschool's posts.

So, let's start with the fact you have installed BitDefender Total Security, updated it and rebooted your system.

In the left side you'll have a bar with sections, click over PROTECTION. You'll find something like this:

1586132677753.png

Good then, let's start with ANTIVIRUS.

Show advanced settings
  • Check all of these:
  • Scan only applications
  • Scan potentially unwanted appications
  • Scan scripts
  • Scan network shares
  • Scan boot sectors
  • Scan only new and modified files
  • Scan keyloggers
  • Early boot scan
-Threat actions: move to quarantine
-Drives and share: leave untouched

1586132910406.png1586132966419.png
I tick everything but user passwords because my password manager takes care.

1586133261730.png
-Port scan protection: ON
-Alert mode: off (it's smart enough, but if you enable alert mode it just asks permission for everything even Windows files.

1586133357762.png
Web Protection:
Enable these:
  • Web attack prevention
  • Encrpyted web scan (this will break SSL encryption so enable only if you want HTTPS scan)
  • Fraud protection
  • Phishing protection
1586133742959.png

Network attack prevention: ON

1586133881075.png
Explot protection: ON

1586133973771.png
Protected Folders: Well, in here are predefined folders which will be protected against ransomware malware. Please add any extra folder you'd like to protect. I have added OneDrive.

1586136005493.png

Application Access: Here you will whitelist any program you will let modify the files in the protected folders. For example, if you have a specific program/software that you need to use and directly or indirectly modifies or replaces files in a protected folder, you'll have to whitelist that program here.

1586136197357.png1586136157079.png
-Automatic restore: enabled

1586136302129.png

After, that, you can move the other sections, such as PRIVACY and UTILITIES. To be honest, configurations in these are totally up to you, wether you want micrphone and webcam protection, to use safepay, password manager, etc. To know all the modules and possibilities BitDefender has, check this thread by @Parsh --- User Feedback - Bitdefender Internet Security 2020 — a revisit to the autopilot

-----------------------------------

Well that is all! Unluckily BitDefender offers no option to export/import configuration file, so you'll have to do it on your own! But it's really easy and user-friendly.

1. In settings-profiles, you can adjust it to automatically switch profiles according to your activities.
2. In settings-advanced, you can adjust it to scan hosts file.
3. In settings-general, you can adjust it to show a security widget in desktop.
4. In settings-general, you can change the language.
5. In notifications, you can check all the product notifications, separated by ALL-CRITICAL-WARNING-INFORMATION
6. In dashboard, you can add "quick actions", shortcuts to different modules.

Active processes:

1586136958966.png

Please remember this doesn't actually mean anything and can vary according to the user's system. Total RAM consuming is below 300MB which is very good. And remember RAM is meant to be used, not wasted.

Attachments

• 1586132932510.png
    1586132932510.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 472

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Great tips as usual. Been a while since I’ve seen BItdefender in the hub...
People sadly tend to avoid this software, but trust me, it's so good I've made it my security software! It's amazingly light, non-intrusive, and extremely efficient. I've done quick tests and it responds really fantastic. And ransomware remediation! It recovers lost files if it couldn't stop it!

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
People sadly tend to avoid this software, but trust me, it's so good I've made it my security software! It's amazingly light, non-intrusive, and extremely efficient. I've done quick tests and it responds really fantastic. And ransomware remediation! It recovers lost files if it couldn't stop it!

We need a moderator here! :D;)

But really, your praise for BD is welcome.

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
I checked the BD site and I found that Antivirus plus would be enough for me. No need Device optimizer, Firewall, Parental Control and other OS protection.
Anyway I trust your settings and you always provide good things but If I would use your setup and BD I might be bored :D

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
"Light on resources" yeah suuure, had an noticable performance impact aswell, it slowed my system down by 30-40%. atleast its not as heavy as MBAM.
Sorry you had that experience. Have you run a full system scan and restarted your device? For how long did you have BD on your device?
One more point, I do not think that high ram consumption means the product is heavy.

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
Sorry you had that experience. Have you run a full system scan and restarted your device? For how long did you have BD on your device?
One more point, I do not think that high ram consumption means the product is heavy.
I was talking about the CPU usage, it was at a constant 2 to 11% CPU, its updater didnt help, I simply installed it to show how heavy it actually is.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I was talking about the CPU usage, it was at a constant 2 to 11% CPU, its updater didnt help, I simply installed it to show how heavy it actually is.
Well, from my humble experience, BD needs some time to settle and adapt to your PC. I have always installed it and kept it running for a few hours, ran a full system scan and then restart the system.

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
Well, from my humble experience, BD needs some time to settle and adapt to your PC. I have always installed it and kept it running for a few hours, ran a full system scan and then restart the system.
I did that actually, the screenshot is when it had been idle for 10 minutes, I restarted after that to see if it had any effect, nothing major, performance did slightly improve though.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I did that actually, the screenshot is when it had been idle for 10 minutes, I restarted after that to see if it had any effect, nothing major, performance did slightly improve though.
I see! It depends on how much data you actually have stored on your device. SHP for example took 3 days to settle on my device (after caching). If you really want to give BD a "second chance", do not prejudge it and allow it to run freely for a few days. It will sure adapt to your pc.

Wraith2020

Level 2
Mar 19, 2020
Can similar results be achieved by using Bitdefender Antivirus Plus (paid)? If not, what security protections would the user be missing out on?
Personally I wouldn't pay for Antivirus Plus or the Total Security Version. AP misses out the firewall, antispam, parental control, optimization tools. I consider the Internet Security version to be the best of both.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Okay, I ran into one minor annoyance. After installing BD my Macrium Reflect job didn’t run this morning. Normally it reliably brings the PC out of sleep and runs. It ran as soon as I logged in, so it’s not blocking the script. And there were no blocks in the logs. Not sure what the conflict is.

Durden

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2013
I have to say GOOD JOB to Bitdefender (y)👌 !
They really nailed it this year. I'm one of those who actually had a good luck with Bitdefender through the years, on my systems it usually ran as it should. However the last time I installed it I didn't like it that much especially since browsing speed took a hit, so I went with something else.

Now, I'm running this MATURE 2020 version on my main laptop and man for me it's flawless, it's the lightest it's ever been, browsing is a breeze, I can't tell it's there! Also I really like how smooth and responsive the UI is ! IIRC Bitdefender always had lag when it comes to it's main UI.

Just before installing it I had Kaspersky IS 2020 (which is very light honestly) and IMHO BD is lighter than KIS.

For me personally BD 2020 is a real MVP ! they deserve a second chance and I hope they'll keep improving like this !:giggle:

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
BD 2020 is a real MVP
For most infections kills or for defusing a ransomware? lol. Actually I agree with you; Bitdefender has done a very great job and I hope they continue to improve. When it comes to protection, they already deliver one of the best protection products. I believe they should focus on refining their product and squashing bugs.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Personally I wouldn't pay for Antivirus Plus or the Total Security Version. AP misses out the firewall, antispam, parental control, optimization tools. I consider the Internet Security version to be the best of both.
I think looking for deals on places like Newegg may make AP an okay deal. I only use webmail and don’t want anti spam, need parental cottons, or want and optimizer. I can live without the firewall. For $20 I can get a 3 device 1 year license. Not too bad for our uses. And it still has the ransomware mitigation, but I’m not sure if that’s really necessary over the free version.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.