RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Ladies, gentlemen, and kind good-looking robots as myself, I hereby present to you my 2020 security configuration. This is my main laptop where I mostly work during the day, and do some programming and streaming at night, maybe Netflix.

It's protected by a heavily configured KIS 2020, tweaked for maximum security while low at resources. Check Discuss - RoboMan's Light Kaspersky Settings for more info!

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
UPDATED: My Kaspersky license ran out so I'm testing my most-probable next security configuration:

First line of defense: BitDefender Total Security 2020

Only thing I dislike is that it lacks any kind of Application Control or anti-exe, which I certainly think NECESSARY.

Extra layer of defense: Hard_Configurator (dissallowed), nothing gets executed unless MANUALLY whitelisted.

So far, so good. System is very light and responsive (even better than when I had WD + Hard_Configurator. I'll test it this whole month and if it goes well, probably by a BitDefender Family Pack.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
UPDATED: My Kaspersky license ran out so I'm testing my most-probable next security configuration:

First line of defense: BitDefender Total Security 2020

Only thing I dislike is that it lacks any kind of Application Control or anti-exe, which I certainly think NECESSARY.

Extra layer of defense: Hard_Configurator (dissallowed), nothing gets executed unless MANUALLY whitelisted.

So far, so good. System is very light and responsive (even better than when I had WD + Hard_Configurator. I'll test it this whole month and if it goes well, probably by a BitDefender Family Pack.
Bitdefender...what happened to our ESET expert!? You are on to the new hotness, Bitdefender is getting the love around here. Setup looks good. I’d feel safe if I were you. 👍

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Bitdefender...what happened to our ESET expert!? You are on to the new hotness, Bitdefender is getting the love around here. Setup looks good. I’d feel safe if I were you. 👍
I love ESET! I have many machines around, this thread is about my main gaming laptop. On my other machines I have ESET, and Kaspersky. I've always liked BitDefender, at least since version 2019. It's very stable and fluid, unlike previous versions.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I love ESET! I have many machines around, this thread is about my main gaming laptop. On my other machines I have ESET, and Kaspersky. I've always liked BitDefender, at least since version 2019. It's very stable and fluid, unlike previous versions.
If it’s good enough for your gaming system maybe I should check it out. But I’ve got my favorites and only a couple systems to play with.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
TW runs on WFP completely separate from WF, but both can be run at the same time. Security Center will nag you if you disable WF.

I was just thinking of installing latest version since I haven't tried it a quite some time.
You mean TinyWall is a whole new firewall? I thought it was like WFC?

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
You mean TinyWall is a whole new firewall? I thought it was like WFC?
It was, until v.3.0+. Now it's totally rebuilt. Check the Wilders' thread.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.