RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Good evening fellow non-robot friends. I am as happy as a tech nerd can be. I just bought a new gaming laptop. Find all the hardware specs below and feel free to comment any suggestions or opinions :)

FYI, many friends I talk to will ask "Hey, didn't you have another gaming laptop? An Acer Predator?", to which I respond: Yes, I used to. Sadly, I've been encountering several issues with, after around 5 years of owning it. Like serious overheating (couldn't be solved with thermal paste change. drivers, cleaning, formatting), serious performance issues (would turn off after 15 minutes of medium/heavy gaming), Wi-Fi card issues (random disconnects and driver dissapearing), battery issues (didn't hold charge at all), and many more issues. After several personal tests, and third party opinions, the cause was: motherboard electrical problem. I decided to sell it like a regular (non gaming) laptop to a family member who will use it connected to ethernet for work stuff. Then I bought this beauty!

1653004327494.png

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Enjoy your new laptop 🎉, btw how are your temps under load?

PD: Sad to read your mobo got damaged. My Helios 300 still works but I'm experiencing overheating even with turbo boost disabled and random BSODs from time to time (already removed my -100mv undervolt to check if it had something to do with it).

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Enjoy your new laptop 🎉, btw how are your temps under load?

PD: Sad to read your mobo got damaged. My Helios 300 still works but I'm experiencing overheating even with turbo boost disabled and random BSODs from time to time (already removed my -100mv undervolt to check if it had something to do with it).
Temps in this MSI are great, haven't seen it go over 80°C with most heavy games.

As for Helios, I had to undervolt the very first day with ThrottleStop in order to not overheat. Check Youtube for a tutorial on your exact model.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Return to ESET, the robot army needs you 🤖
ESET and I have a strange love-hate relation. I love the AV, because it's highly configurable and you can get great configurations out of HIPS module.

But it's a specific antivirus for specific scenarios. I am a guy (robot) who likes to lock down a PC for maximum security, and I was never able to achieve it with ESET. There's no way to abuse ESET modules to do a solid lockdown , you'll always end up trusting signatures, even when HIPS is configured to "interactive". Still, I recommend it to whoever likes light protection and doesn't ask for much (most medium+ knowledge users will be okay with it).

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
It's really hard to find a portable device with this hardware at this price range. 144Hz, 16GB, SSD + HDD, i5 10500H + something better than 3050 4GB; all for $800 or less...
I’m pretty sure no one is getting a 3060 for that price. What you paid actually sounds like a reasonable price.

Last edited:

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Good evening fellow non-robot friends. I am as happy as a tech nerd can be. I just bought a new gaming laptop. Find all the hardware specs below and feel free to comment any suggestions or opinions :)

FYI, many friends I talk to will ask "Hey, didn't you have another gaming laptop? An Acer Predator?", to which I respond: Yes, I used to. Sadly, I've been encountering several issues with, after around 5 years of owning it. Like serious overheating (couldn't be solved with thermal paste change. drivers, cleaning, formatting), serious performance issues (would turn off after 15 minutes of medium/heavy gaming), Wi-Fi card issues (random disconnects and driver dissapearing), battery issues (didn't hold charge at all), and many more issues. After several personal tests, and third party opinions, the cause was: motherboard electrical problem. I decided to sell it like a regular (non gaming) laptop to a family member who will use it connected to ethernet for work stuff. Then I bought this beauty!

View attachment 266766

Hello,

Congratulations on your new acquisition, the MSI GF63 Thin, purchased on May 17, 2022, for around $800. It sounds like a fresh start after moving on from your Acer Predator due to its various issues. Here's a brief overview of your MSI gaming laptop's specifications and some advice to maximize its performance:

Operating System: Windows 10 provides a stable and familiar environment for your gaming and productivity tasks. Remember that you can consider a free upgrade to Windows 11 for newer features and improvements in gaming performance if your device is eligible.

CPU: The Intel Core i5 10500H is a capable mid-range processor designed for gaming laptops, providing good performance for gaming and multitasking.

GPU: The RTX 3050 4GB is a decent entry-level ray-tracing capable graphics card that can handle most modern games at medium to high settings.

RAM: 16GB of DDR4 RAM at 2667 MHz is enough for gaming and should allow for smooth multitasking.

Storage: A dual-storage solution with a 256GB SSD for your operating system and frequently used applications or games, and a 1TB HDD for additional storage needs like documents, media files, and less frequently played games.

Transitioning from the Acer Predator: It's understandable to move on from a device that's causing multiple issues. Your decision to sell the Acer Predator as a standard laptop and invest in the MSI GF63 Thin seems to be a wise choice.

Getting the Most Out of Your MSI GF63 Thin:

1. System Maintenance: Regularly clean the fans and air vents to prevent dust buildup, which can lead to overheating.
  2. Thermal Management: Although your new laptop shouldn't have the same overheating issues as your old one, it's still a good idea to monitor temperatures during heavy use. Consider using a cooling pad to improve air circulation.
  3. Battery Care: To prolong the battery life, try not to keep the laptop plugged in all the time once it's fully charged. Also, avoid letting the battery drain completely.
  4. Software Updates: Keep your system drivers and BIOS updated to ensure optimal performance and compatibility.
  5. Gaming Optimizations: Adjust in-game graphics settings to find the right balance between visual quality and frame rates for the best gaming experience.
  6. Storage Management: Install games that benefit from faster loading times on the SSD, while using the HDD for larger files and less demanding games.
  7. Security: Install reliable antivirus software and keep it updated to protect your system from malware.
  8. Wi-Fi Stability: If you encounter Wi-Fi issues like you did with your previous laptop, consider using a USB Wi-Fi adapter as a reliable backup.
  9. Backup Strategy: Regular backups of your important data will prevent any loss in case of system failure. You can use external storage or cloud services for this purpose.
  10. Peripheral Choices: Invest in a quality mouse and perhaps a mechanical keyboard if you find the built-in peripherals lacking for your gaming needs.
  11. Sell or Repurpose: If you have any components from the Acer Predator that are still functional, you could sell them or repurpose them in other ways.
Enjoy your new MSI GF63 Thin and the fresh gaming experiences it brings. It should serve you well for your gaming sessions and work tasks.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.