RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I'm sharing my light configuration for Kaspersky Internet Security 2019. Light enough to consume as little resources as possible without compromising security, focusing on blocking rather than disinfecting.

1. Why Kaspersky?
Kaspersky is definitely a market leader, with huge experience on the cybersecurity area and innovation, winning multiple awards and prizes for the great protection it can offer.

2. So, what's the problem with it?
Many people often moan about Kaspersky's resource consuming. This of course is entirely connected to user's hardware, OS and arquitecture. Every system behave different, so you may or may not feel a system impact. Truth is, many times it can be felt.

3. What's the objective of this setting thread?
We want to create a perfect setting guide, to reduce Kaspersky's impact but as well make it useful enough to not need to add anything on top of it. Afterall, it's a suite and we will use it as such. From Application Control to Software Updater.

4. Why are you the best robot alive, RoboGod?
Well thanks for the God thing, human. I've always thought I had some similarity with God. You know... everybody ignores my existence until they need me.

GENERAL
  • Untick "perform recommended actions automatically"

1.jpg

FILE ANTIVIRUS
  • File types: files scanned by format
  • Scan methods: Heuristic Analysis-->light scan
  • Scan optimization: scan only new and changed files
  • Scan of compound files: scan OLE objects
  • Scan mode: on execution
  • Scan technologies: iSwift/iChecker
  • Script scanner: ticked

2.jpg3.jpg

WEB ANTIVIRUS
  • Security level: recommended
  • Go to advanced settings.
  • URL Advisor: all websites
  • Additional: check everything

4.jpg 5.jpg

APPLICATION CONTROL
  • Trust digital signed applications: untick
  • Load rules from KSN: on
  • Change trust group for unknown applications: untrusted
  • Change trust group for applications started before startup of Kaspersky: low restricted

6.jpg

FIREWALL
  • Uninstall Secure Connection if you don't use it/have another VPN.
  • Tick all boxes

7.jpg

WEBCAM PROTECTION
  • Block access to webcam for all applications

8.jpg

SOFTWARE UPDATER
  • Enable search for application updates: on
  • Automatically download and install updates: on
  • Search for application updates: all updates for known applications

9.jpg

SYSTEM WATCHER
  • Automatic Exploit Prevention: monitor attemps to perform unauthorized operations
  • On threat detection: prompt
  • Application Activity Control: prompt
  • Rollback of application actions: prompt
  • Protection against screen keyloggers: detect and close

10.jpg

APPLICATION MANAGER
  • Check all boxes

11.jpg

PERFORMANCE
  • Check all boxes except "perform idle scan"

12.jpg

SCAN
  • Actions on threat detection: prompt
  • Scan external devices on connect: prompt

13.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions are welcome, but too many questions will be charged! :p

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
For those who still will be so "picky" with Web surfing speed, You may set to low the Security in WebAV, also disable the Kaspersky Protection extension in browsers and in NetWork: disable also "Inject script into web traffic..." and scan encrypted connections...

In Performance, there will be many users who will even disable Rootkits scans...

In Software Updater -> disable Automatically download and install (but still will be informed about new updates).

In Appearance We may also disable -> Smooth transition (or even icon animation:) ).

Last edited:

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Partially Off-topic question: Karspersky anti-ransomware tool for business comes with KSN and System Watcher (two of the most powerful Kaspersky features) and can (should) run alongside another AV. Has anyone tried to run it together with Windows Defender or Bitdefender Free (to name two free AVs with very good definitions), Panda or Immunet (to name two lightweight cloud AVs)?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Partially Off-topic question: Karspersky anti-ransomware tool for business comes with KSN and System Watcher (two of the most powerful Kaspersky features) and can (should) run alongside another AV. Has anyone tried to run it together with Windows Defender or Bitdefender Free (to name two free AVs with very good definitions), Panda or Immunet (to name two lightweight cloud AVs)?
system watcher in kaspersky antiransomware is different from the one in kaspersky AVs. In other words. it's the lite version
it's can only block some kinds of trojan/ransomware. Even against ransowmares, it's weaker than KFA

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
system watcher in kaspersky antiransomware is different from the one in kaspersky AVs. In other words. it's the lite version
it's can only block some kinds of trojan/ransomware. Even against ransowmares, it's weaker than KFA
OK, thanks for the answer.
KSN should be the same tough and you can add signatures from other AVs... I was just wondering if anyone has tried this combo

dash

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 15, 2018
I don't have Kaspersky (Security Cloud - Personal) installed right now, but I assume these KIS tweaks could be used with KSC?

Reactions: harlan4096

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
For those who still will be so "picky" with Web surfing speed, You may set to low the Security in WebAV, also disable the Kaspersky Protection extension in browsers and in NetWork: disable also "Inject script into web traffic..." and scan encrypted connections...

In Performance, there will be many users who will even disable Rootkits scans...

In Software Updater -> disable Automatically download and install (but still will be informed about new updates).

In Appearance We may also disable -> Smooth transition (or even icon animation:) ).
I disable rootkit scan because randomly, my PC started to freeze and became very slow while I was doing my work
many people have the same complain

I guest disabling rootkit scan doesn't necessarily decrease protection because our PC should not be infected in the first place and kaspersky is good enough in most cases. Rootkit scan has never detected anything in any PC I've touched with kaspersky although some of them had a lot of PUPs and toolbars
it's why people in my country say Kaspersky is heavy

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
I disable rootkit scan because randomly, my PC started to freeze and became very slow while I was doing my work
many people have the same complain

I guest disabling rootkit scan doesn't necessarily decrease protection because our PC should not be infected in the first place and kaspersky is good enough in most cases. Rootkit scan has never detected anything in any PC I've touched with kaspersky although some of them had a lot of PUPs and toolbars
it's why people in my country say Kaspersky is heavy
I also found Kaspersky heavy (heavier than WD) when updating signatures

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I also found Kaspersky heavy (heavier than WD) when updating signatures
I recently switched to avast with extensive tweaking. I found it's lighter than kaspersky with no random cpu peaking
kaspersy also has a problem with caching where it wipes some caches on boot so it scans the program again

most of us usually say other AVs are heavier than WD because they have a proper webfilter, which we would not dare to disable

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.