Technology Roku patent will show ads over anything you plug into your TV's HDMI

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Roku TV sets come with ads. Generally, these are restricted to Roku's home and menu screens, its screensavers, and its first-party video channels, and once you start playing video, the only ads you'll see are the ones from the service you're streaming from. That said, Roku TVs have shown ads atop live TV before.

Now, the company is apparently experimenting with ways to show ads over top of even more of the things you plug into your TV. A patent application from the company spotted by Lowpass describes a system for displaying ads over any device connected over HDMI, a list that could include cable boxes, game consoles, DVD or Blu-ray players, PCs, or even other video streaming devices. Roku filed for the patent in August 2023 and it was published in November 2023, though it hasn't yet been granted.

The technology described would detect whether content was paused in multiple ways—if the video being displayed is static, if there's no audio being played, if a pause symbol is shown anywhere on screen, or if (on a TV with HDMI-CEC enabled) a pause signal has been received from some passthrough remote control. The system would analyze the paused image and use metadata "to identify one or more objects" in the video frame, transmit that identification information to a network, and receive and display a "relevant ad" over top of whatever the paused content is.

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I have a Roku stick on my TV. I canceled my Spectrum TV service last month as my bill for TV and internet was $190.00. On my statement it showed that the TV was going to be going up 30.00 by August and the internet in June was going up $20. I could have tried to bargain with them at that time as far as the TV, but at $6.00 a month for Peacock, and all the other channels I can get with Roku, is fine with me. And I'm not going to pay the even higher fees for some of the other Premium channels, I would be pretty much back where I started.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
I canceled my Spectrum TV service last month as my bill for TV and internet was $190.00. On my statement it showed that the TV was going to be going up 30.00 by August and the internet in June was going up $20.
What are these outrageous prices… I am paying £35 for TV and gigabit-package internet…
I got Apple TV, Prime and Netflix so don’t even watch that TV to be honest.
Me neither. Supposed to be devices for a seamless experience, now Roku and Prime will show ads. What a "premium" experience.
And the Prime ads are long… few minutes of ads in the beginning and then somewhere mid-show a few more…

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
On my statement it showed that the TV was going to be going up 30.00 by August and the internet in June was going up $20.
Same here with Spectrum, starting in may, my 100mb internet will go from $30 to $60 and my basic cable tv the same. I really don't have on option for internet, possibly DSL but the tv I will cancel and just use Max at $10 a month, Paramount+ and Pluto which comes with my Walmart subscription for $45 annually and I added Showtime for another $45 annually, all have ads but so does Spectrum.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I have a Roku stick on my TV. I canceled my Spectrum TV service last month as my bill for TV and internet was $190.00. On my statement it showed that the TV was going to be going up 30.00 by August and the internet in June was going up $20. I could have tried to bargain with them at that time as far as the TV, but at $6.00 a month for Peacock, and all the other channels I can get with Roku, is fine with me. And I'm not going to pay the even higher fees for some of the other Premium channels, I would be pretty much back where I started.
Why is the internet in the US so damn expensive?

For 60,15€ in Croatia I could get all TV channels (including premium ones like HBO) on all devices I own, 2 Gb/s internet connection without any data cap, and totally unlimited landline with free calls to neighboring countries (to users of any ISP which is under the parent company). Heck, I could also throw in mobile plan with unlimited calls, SMS, MMS and data and it would cost me 84,95€, nowhere near your 190$.
Everything has ads now; even prime. It's almost like they're trying to force us to "use other means" even if you try and be legit.
Pirated content is always available in the highest quality and without ads. 😂

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Why is the internet in the US so damn expensive?

For 60,15€ in Croatia I could get all TV channels (including premium ones like HBO) on all devices I own, 2 Gb/s internet connection without any data cap, and totally unlimited landline with free calls to neighboring countries (to users of any ISP which is under the parent company). Heck, I could also throw in mobile plan with unlimited calls, SMS, MMS and data and it would cost me 84,95€, nowhere near your 190$.

Pirated content is always available in the highest quality and without ads. 😂
I did have 2 TV cable boxes that were 25. a month. To have used the online Spectrum Roku app for the channels I wanted, it didn't really save me the money I was looking to save.

My previous invoice.

charter.jpg

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Wait, just TV service is 85$ and internet is 65$? That's crazy! They are literally ripping you off.

My 1000/500 with phone costs 34€ now because I don't have a contract. It just isn't worth getting one because my ISP doesn't offer that speed anymore, only 300 Mb/s and 2 Gb/s which I have no ways to use it all. So I just stay off the contract, because it's just better for me. There are cheaper alternatives, but that would require much effort of switching to the new ISP and installing their fiber optic infrastructure. If they raise the price again (they will), I'll definitely switch. But for now, I'm staying.

I don't know if that's the case in the US, but Croatian ISP's have started to ditch classic STBs and now use Android TV Boxes, or give you the ability to use their app for Smart TVs.

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Wait, just TV service is 85$ and internet is 65$? That's crazy! They are literally ripping you off.

My 1000/500 with phone costs 34€ now because I don't have a contract. It just isn't worth getting one because my ISP doesn't offer that speed anymore, only 300 Mb/s and 2 Gb/s which I have no ways to use it all. So I just stay off the contract, because it's just better for me. There are cheaper alternatives, but that would require much effort of switching to the new ISP and installing their fiber optic infrastructure. If they raise the price again (they will), I'll definitely switch. But for now, I'm staying.

I don't know if that's the case in the US, but Croatian ISP's have started to ditch classic STBs and now use Android TV Boxes, or give you the ability to use their app for Smart TVs.
There is a cheaper cable ISP provider in town, but I would be charged for their running a cable box to my house, and another box on my house. But, 50% of the Internet is a tax write off as a in house business expense. I could use my phone as a hotspot, but some of the files I get and some of the software updates, need HS internet.

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
There is a cheaper cable ISP provider in town, but I would be charged for their running a cable box to my house, and another box on my house. But, 50% of the Internet is a tax write off as a in house business expense. I could use my phone as a hotspot, but some of the files I get and some of the software updates, need HS internet.
WHAT?!?

Here the ISP will do all the work for you and for free or something like 1€ if you sign the 24 month contract. If the network quality isn't what ISP promised you, or they can't fix any issue you're having, you can cancel the contract without any fees. Moreover, if the issue was temporary, they have to lower you the bill for the time you couldn't normally use the service. That's by law.

If you want to switch, you just need to go to your desired ISP or order the service online. You don't have to do anything else as they will notify your current ISP that you'll be switching from them and that's it. You may get calls from your current ISP with "good" deals just so you'd stay with them, but I always refuse because I'm leaving for a reason.

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
WHAT?!?

Here the ISP will do all the work for you and for free or something like 1€ if you sign the 24 month contract. If the network quality isn't what ISP promised you, or they can't fix any issue you're having, you can cancel the contract without any fees. Moreover, if the issue was temporary, they have to lower you the bill for the time you couldn't use the service. That's by law.
About 7 years ago, that company did come around the neighborhood to install the cable and box at N/C. At that time, I wasn't working out of my house, and again, I didn't want a 6th box on the back of my house (Telephone cable box, Spectrum box, lawn sprinkler box etc). Charter (now Spectrum) was cheaper back then, so I left it there. :)

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I don't even want to think of what we're actually paying for all our streaming services. When my wife retires, I threaten to cancel everything but Max and Hulu Live, or get only Sling and regular Hulu for a really cheap and lifeless alternative.

The old days of cable prices don't seem so bad now.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.