RollBack, DriveCloner and Win10 Updates. Not Gonna Work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
OK so I've been thinking this over, and I don't think it will work with Win10 updates.

From what I understand you guys recommend uninstalling RBRX and then do the Win 10 Updates, then run Trim. Right?

But lets say you do a clean install of Win 10, install RBRX, and DriveClonerRX (which is suppose to save image of Windows and all RX saves or restore points). Then you run RBRX, and you also image your system with DriveclonerRX and you select to image the restore points too.

Now a month goes by, you need to update Windows, so you uninstall RBRX and you do the update, you run trim and you decide you want all your restore points from the last 30 days, so you decide to use Drive Cloner to restore the image you made 30 days ago.

Problem when you lay down that image, you just wiped out the New Win 10 Update..

So what's the fix.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It's the same story with a regular system image restore. Once you restore, you lost the latest update. You can't put your PC at two different time points simultaneously.

Reactions: Rod McCarthy

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
I don't know who told you that you need to uninstall RollBack before an update, but that information is false.

I've only had to uninstall the program for two updates, the 1511 and Anniversary Update. Others have come and gone with no issue. You can always ask the Dev if you're not sure but I've rarely had issues with updates.

As to your question, yeah, if you take any backup regardless of program it's not going to include the update that came after.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I don't know who told you that you need to uninstall RollBack before an update, but that information is false.

I've only had to uninstall the program for two updates, the 1511 and Anniversary Update. Others have come and gone with no issue. You can always ask the Dev if you're not sure but I've rarely had issues with updates.

As to your question, yeah, if you take any backup regardless of program it's not going to include the update that came after.
the dev is very slow to test the windows updates in my experience
I am glad to hear the issues are rare. But if they do occur, and you don't have on hand a regular system image (like the kind from macrium or aomei) you can end up with an unbootable system

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
the dev is very slow to test the windows updates in my experience
I am glad to hear the issues are rare. But if they do occur, and you don't have on hand a regular system image (like the kind from macrium or aomei) you can end up with an unbootable system

It's possible, and I don't want to downplay the risk that an update and RollBack can't have isses but I don't know if I'd say every update runs this risk. It just seems to be a bit much to be worrying about every update.

In my opinion, wait on and ask about major updates like the 1511 or AU. Those are the ones where I think HDS and Rollback have issues with but on a day-to-day basis you're fine with just installing the updates as normal. This is what I've heard from their Dev Team in the past and it's held true.

Reactions: shmu26
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.