Rollback RX discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
there is no equivalent of RX; the closest is AX64...but it is a different system.
I use AX64 & no probs but you are right none in the category can match the restore speed of Rollback Rx.

Currently I have Win 10 64 Home. I may upgrade to Pro as it has Windows Updates disabled/manual, etc... options And this I need to use with Rollback Rx.

1. Rollback Rx modifies MBR. Other than Windows Updates any other things I should look out for that can mess Rollback Rx?
2. Major upgrades can mess with Rollback Rx. Other minor updates that mention cumulative updates for Win 10 could also mess Rollback Rx?
3. Due to MBR modification could Rollback Rx itself mess the system?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Currently I have Win 10 64 Home. I may upgrade to Pro as it has Windows Updates disabled/manual, etc... options And this I need to use with Rollback Rx.
You don't need Pro to disable Windows Update Services, the benefits hardly outweigh the disadvantages. Better of saving your $$$, than purchasing a Pro upgrade.

Compare Windows 10 Editions

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
You don't need Pro to disable Windows Update Services, the benefits hardly outweigh the disadvantages. Better of saving your $$$, than purchasing a Pro upgrade.

Compare Windows 10 Editions
Rollback Rx is not compatible with Windows Updates i.e Major Upgrades will mostly mess Rollback Rx & make system not bootable & so does some system updates. Rollback Rx Devs say before installing Windows Updates users should check on Rollback Rx forum if the released Windows Updates is given a go by the team on the forum Or uninstall Rollback, install WU & reinstall Rollback.

Windows 10 Home has automatic WU only & doesn't provides options to disable/manual, etc... And I read on few forums registry hack, etc... on Win 10 Home to make WU notify the users instead of auto-download doesn't work now as MS patched the stuffs so even if the hack is there now WU updates automatically.

So I am thinking to upgrade to Pro.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
I use AX64 & no probs but you are right none in the category can match the restore speed of Rollback Rx.

1. Rollback Rx modifies MBR. Other than Windows Updates any other things I should look out for that can mess Rollback Rx?
2. Major upgrades can mess with Rollback Rx. Other minor updates that mention cumulative updates for Win 10 could also mess Rollback Rx?
3. Due to MBR modification could Rollback Rx itself mess the system?

All you have to do is set W10 Update to "Notify to schedule a restart."

Uninstall RX.

Apply update.

Re-install RX.

It is almost impossible to determine which updates might modify MBR. However, as a general rule, I would uninstall RX when applying any Cumulative update.

Other minor updates, it is not possible to know if they will mess with RX. That is the risk of Windows Updates generally - and just doesn't apply to RX.

There is no hard-and-fast rules when using RX -- so, to some extent, RX = PITA. To some extent, Windows Updates = PITA.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
hjlbx,

Notify to schedule a restart means I will have to have to uninstall Rollback & ..............

With Pro It will be kinda I will decide to download update or not & ..........

H

hjlbx

Thread author
hjlbx,

Notify to schedule a restart means I will have to have to uninstall Rollback & ..............

With Pro It will be kinda I will decide to download update or not & ..........

I know. It is big complaint that users cannot pick and choose updates and uninstall if they cause problems. Plus, users complain that W10 auto-installs drivers that cause breakages.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
If disabled is selected does it means manual check only i.e no notify, auto-check, etc...?
And does the settings stick i.e work?

Clipboard01.png

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Av Gurus,

One more info needed

If set to disabled does the manual check shows available updates & user can start the download process or download starts automatically?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If set to disabled does the manual check shows available updates & user can start the download process or download starts automatically?
It's clearly written in the screenshot: "updates that are available on Windows Update must be downloaded and installed manually" - Not automatic, but checking for updates will list the updates available.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
It's clearly written in the screenshot: "updates that are available on Windows Update must be downloaded and installed manually" - Not automatic, but checking for updates will list the updates available.
You know things are little different with Win 10 compared to previous OS so just wanted to confirm.

So I thought with Win 10 manually could also mean check for update i.e once you click check for update then it will be downloaded & installed.

When the registry hack was working on Win 10 Home, it use to work this way i.e if Windows use to check for updates then it use to inform to download updates but when users manually clicked check for updates then it use to auto download & install.

So thought lets see what Av Gurus say.

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You know things are little different with Win 10 compared to previous OS so just wanted to confirm.
You are correct, I missed the details about Supported on: Windows XP SP1 or 2000 SP3.

On Windows 10 Pro you can defer "feature" updates.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014

So I thought with Win 10 manually could also mean check for update i.e once you click check for update then it will be downloaded & installed.

When the registry hack was working on Win 10 Home, it use to work this way i.e if Windows use to check for updates then it use to inform to download updates but when users manually clicked check for updates then it use to auto download & install.

So thought lets see what Av Gurus say.

When you click check for update, Windows will check if there is any new update and then it will show all available update.
Then you can click Download and the Update will be downloaded and installed.
I think that you can't choose what update can and can't install, all or nothing...but I'm not 100% sure.

Clipboard01.png

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Rollback Rx is not compatible with Windows Updates i.e Major Upgrades will mostly mess Rollback Rx & make system not bootable & so does some system updates.

RX is compatible ! dont say nonsense, the problem is not that ! anything that touch the MBR (windows update or not) will mess with RX , that is different thing than compatibility.

as if you say a car doesn't comply with security standard because someone just shot a rocket on it...

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
RX is compatible ! dont say nonsense, the problem is not that ! anything that touch the MBR (windows update or not) will mess with RX , that is different thing than compatibility.

as if you say a car doesn't comply with security standard because someone just shot a rocket on it...
You use RollbackRx...ever experienced any probs?
Where are RollbackRx snapshots saved on harddisk?

What type of software touch the MBR...few examples please?

Dont know much about MBR...can at a time only 1 software touch or modify MBR?
If other software touch or modify MBR...that means it replaces previous software & thus previous software lose control & new software takes control?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
You use RollbackRx...ever experienced any probs?

Read my guidelines : Rollback RX users guidelines

Rx is a very sensitive softs , misuses can generates big issues.

Where are RollbackRx snapshots saved on harddisk?

in a hidden partition.

What type of software touch the MBR...few examples please?

Backup imaging softwares, partition managers, some ransomwares, bootkits, etc...

Dont know much about MBR...can at a time only 1 software touch or modify MBR?

Google it. depends the softs installed.

If other software touch or modify MBR...that means it replaces previous software & thus previous software lose control & new software takes control?
[/QUOTE]

do some research about MBR (Master Boot Record)

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Can Rollback Rx handle hard shutdown, sudden restart/shutdown in the middle of Rollback Rx creating/defragging snapshots, etc...?

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I did a clean install of Win 10 64 Pro.
When I start Group Policy Editor I get error. Attached is the screenshot

Attachments

• scr.png
    scr.png
    105 KB · Views: 503
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.