• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
not something you may want to do.
Damn so many probs or things to lookout to use this software. It seems I may better use AX64...effective, reliable & no probs.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Damn Win 10 Pro is giving me some probs...Win 10 Home gave me no probs.

I am not able to set default apps. I select choose default app & select my app but still it remains on choose default app.

Any help here?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
ok. it happened to me on Home edition for the browser, i don't know the reason but it went back to normal after a reboot.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
ok. it happened to me on Home edition for the browser, i don't know the reason but it went back to normal after a reboot.
I have tried 4-5 reboots but no change.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Yes, just now googled & found out that the prob is due to some Windows Updates.

You too have the same probs?
Yes i do have the msg but i don't see it affecting me in any way. Anw if you are bothered by the msg you can do what the link is saying to fix it. I don't bother because i never go in group policy.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Yes i do have the msg but i don't see it affecting me in any way. Anw if you are bothered by the msg you can do what the link is saying to fix it. I don't bother because i never go in group policy.
I too am leaving it alone. What I could gather & understand through Google search...the error seems minor i.e related to Store i.e Store setting doesn't appear in Group Policy in Windows Components...nothing major for me. As its Windows Updates prob...future Windows Updates will fix it.

Reactions: SHvFl
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Umbra,

Installed Rollback Rx.
I have protected both partition & set to hourly snapshot.

I have set to hourly snapshot so should I uncheck the option under settings - program appearance - autorun missed scheduled task at next logon?

And to exclude Rollback in AVs, I have excluded Shield folder in program files.
Anything else to exclude?

Last edited by a moderator:

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
I did a clean install of Win 10 64 Pro.
When I start Group Policy Editor I get error. Attached is the screenshot

I got the same (i don't have RX):

Clipboard01.png

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Damn Win 10 Pro is giving me some probs...Win 10 Home gave me no probs.

I am not able to set default apps. I select choose default app & select my app but still it remains on choose default app.

Any help here?
Ok, found the solution.

First I removed built-in apps with powershell. I thought if photos, etc... will not be there then I may be able to set default to picasa, vlc, etc.. but no success.

I thought lets try online windows account as win 10 is spying, syncing, etc...

I use local account & wasn't able to set default apps in settings.
I sign-in with outlook account & was able to set default apps in settings:rolleyes: sign-out outlook account & restarted the system & default apps were fine.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Ok, I did quite a few restore & were successful.

But the last restore was not good. I uninstalled & reinstalled Adguard Desktop & tried few other programs. I restored back to clean state. Everything was fine i.e software I tried were not there.
But Adguard Desktop was back to default settings...it was on custom settings on this snapshot & Eset Banking Browser was also back to default settings...it was on custom settings on this snapshot. Atleast these 2 changes I noticed. I checked other few & were fine.

Guess will have to keep an eye on Rollback restore & if happens again then back to AX64.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
you should detail every step you did.
Win 10 64 Pro
Rollback Rx latest
System Restore disabled
Defrag disabled
Fast Startup disabled
Rollback Rx folder in Program Files i.e Shield excluded in Eset Smart Security

I simply restored back to a snapshot created automatically before my testing of software. I selected that snapshot & chose restore & system restarted. Rollback Rx restored & restarted the system. Rest mentioned in my last post.

Previously way back I have tried Comodo Time Machine, SysRestore, etc... similar programs. And I have noticed these type of programs do sometime revert back some programs settings to default.

Have you ever tried Toolwiz Time Machine? It is similar program like Rollback but mention on the website something like doesn't use MBR but use backup architecture. Guess its not for Win 10 atleast doesn't mention Win 10 on the website.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Umbra,

You installed yesterday released Windows Updates yet? Is it fine with RollbackRx? No info on RollbackRx forum yet.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Just to make sure I will do things right, if something goes wrong while Rollback RX is installed and I have a AOMEI Backupper Pro bootable disk, I just have to fix MBR to be able to successfully restore from the bootable disk, right?
7. Disk Imaging: All known disk imaging systems that normally run under the LIVE Rollback protected Windows system will not provide the proper restoration if needed unless additional steps are taken to return the system to a BOOTable state (see HorizonDataSys: How to reset your Master Boot Record). Following the successful return to a BOOTable state, RollBack Rx™ will be completely non-functional in its ability to operate, and all snapshot data existing prior to the LAST KNOWN SYSTEM STATE at the time of the image will be lost.

Some examples of the more popular disk imaging application vendors that reside in this category are Horizon Data Sys (Drive Cloner v5), Acronis, TeraByte Unlimited, Macrium Reflect, Storage Craft, EaseUS and AOMEI. There are many other vendors of disk imaging software... basically any vendor who makes an imaging tool that runs under the LIVE Windows operating system will have its image affected in the above described way.

Edit: Also, is Rollback RX not effective against malware/ransomware that touches the MBR? Is it useless, then, against these types of attacks?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.