Rollback RX users guidelines

Did you follow these advices?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
hi,

Since many members here seems to use Rollback RX, some guidelines/instructions need to be told; indeed RX is a double edge software , it can saves you from everything even malwares or totally destroy your system if you are ignorant of its functionment.

First thing first, below will be how i prepare my system to receive RX; of course you don't need to do this, but those steps are life and time saving in the future:

1- Do a clean install of your Windows ! (yes seems annoying but you will see why later)
2- Update Windows , all fixes, etc...
3- Clean Windows (remove Windows install files, etc...) so the system size (and so the baseline) will be reduced to the minimum possible.
4- Backup your system with a classic software (macrium, acronis, windows backup, etc...)
5- Install RX in custom installation, here you can choose which partitions RX will protect (i usually protect only C: ; more partitions RX protect , bigger the space it will takes).
6- At this point RX should reboot your system , create a first snapshot called "baseline". This baseline is the original OS, all that comes after it is "virtual". Never touch it unless you want to update it (only for users knowing what they do)
7- Go to RX settings and choose a new "console key" , this is important since some keyboards don't have the "classic home key" chosen by default. if you cant boot pressing this key will allow you to enter the pre-boot console of RX.

IJRIw8C.png

8- Now install some of your favorite softwares (those you will always use) but not security softs. I usually install 7zip, system tools, etc.... Then take a new snapshot, click the 2 boxes.

PvxZvI9.png

The 2nd box allows VSS copy so the snapshot will be taken in a safer way. (new features absent in previous version)

9- Now install all of your security softwares, since your system is supposed to be clean , you can set them to training mode.
10- Install now the rest of your liked softwares. take a snapshot.
11- Now your system is configured properly; you can do whatever tests/installs you want.

BIG RECOMMENDATIONS & FACTS

Avoid to use RX on a SSD drive, RX doesn't allow the TRIM function.

1- Dont use softwares that touch the MBR/partitions ; if you do , RX will disfunction and you may surely lose your system or even your full HDD content

2- Dont use any defragmenters (even windows one), RX do its own defragmentation since your system is "virtual" (you are inside a snapshot ); if you defragment it, the next snapshot will be huge , not saying other potential risks.

3- When Windows has an upgrade (like the 1511- November one ) , uninstall RX first (select the snapshot you deem worthy , all the others will be ignored; i always go back to the baseline), upgrade the OS, clean it , reinstall RX.

4- Beware when doing a scan with your AV, some of them detect a theat called "bootkit" or similar, ignore and exclude it , this file is RX bootloader, removing it will disable RX or worse.

5- Few backup software are able to save your system with RX snapshots. (Macrium and Image For Windows can, from what i heard, do your research first if you plan to do that)

Here the "unofficial" FAQ, worth the read:

Rollback RX™ - The “unOfishul” FAQ | Wilders Security Forums (thanks to TheRollbackFrog)

IMPORTANT EDIT for the Anniversary Update:

Disable Secureboot before installing RX, their drivers doesn't fill the requirement imposed by Microsoft

Last edited by a moderator:
I

illumination

Thread author
I do most of these steps and a couple extra. I run Rollback in a Vmware player Guest to create snapshots. I disable scheduling and create "on demand" snap shots after the first couple are made. I also use Defraggler on my host system, and "exclude" the Virtual Machines Folder. Before installing RX in the Vm, i use the built in Defrag in Vmware to defrag the guest.

miketan77

Level 3
Verified
Jul 24, 2014
Update 1511

NOTE TO ALL RollBack Rx Windows 10 USERS

Microsoft’s latest update for its Windows 10 OS labelled “1511” is failing to complete its installation while RollBack Rx v10.4 (Build # 2700722190) is on the machine.

Attempts to install this update will result in a failed installation, as the update attempts to make changes to core RollBack Rx features. As such, users who try and install this update with RollBack Rx already installed on the machine will find they cannot load into Windows. Some users may experience Windows loading a troubleshooting page with suggestions on how to fix the issue.

In this case, please follow these steps:

1. Reset the machine.
  2. Press the ‘HOME’ key when the RollBack Rx splash screen appears to load into the RollBack Rx subsystem.
  3. From there please restore to the latest available snapshot taken before the update. Let the software load the snapshot and boot back into Windows.
  4. Uninstall RollBack Rx.
  5. Install the latest Windows update.
  6. Re-install RollBack Rx.
In the case that the update has not yet been applied by the user, please follow these steps:

1. Uninstall RollBack Rx to the Current State.
  2. Reset the machine.
  3. Install the Windows update.
  4. Re-install RollBack Rx.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

~The Horizon DataSys Team

Source from: Home - Horizon Datasys

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Update 1511

NOTE TO ALL RollBack Rx Windows 10 USERS

Microsoft’s latest update for its Windows 10 OS labelled “1511” is failing to complete its installation while RollBack Rx v10.4 (Build # 2700722190) is on the machine.

Attempts to install this update will result in a failed installation, as the update attempts to make changes to core RollBack Rx features. As such, users who try and install this update with RollBack Rx already installed on the machine will find they cannot load into Windows. Some users may experience Windows loading a troubleshooting page with suggestions on how to fix the issue.

In this case, please follow these steps:

1. Reset the machine.
  2. Press the ‘HOME’ key when the RollBack Rx splash screen appears to load into the RollBack Rx subsystem.
  3. From there please restore to the latest available snapshot taken before the update. Let the software load the snapshot and boot back into Windows.
  4. Uninstall RollBack Rx.
  5. Install the latest Windows update.
  6. Re-install RollBack Rx.
In the case that the update has not yet been applied by the user, please follow these steps:

1. Uninstall RollBack Rx to the Current State.
  2. Reset the machine.
  3. Install the Windows update.
  4. Re-install RollBack Rx.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

~The Horizon DataSys Team

what i wrote earlier

Umbra said:
3- When Windows has an upgrade (like the november one ) , uninstall RX first (select the snapshot you deem worthy , all the others will be ignored; i always go back to the baseline), upgrade the OS, clean it , reinstall RX.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Rollback Rx truly is powerful and much easier/convenient and direct recovery software than regular system imaging software which create full system images.

However, in most cases, every Rollback Rx user should have a base system image available to restore their system from, in case all else fails.

Great guide, extremely valuable tips for beginners to the software and expert users alike!

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I installed rollback on my SSD, but then I read these posts, so I uninstalled.
then I restored my system, using Macrium Reflect.
(I uninstalled first before restoring, because rollback saves the snapshots on a hidden partition that MR might not be able to read. So I wanted to get that out of the way, first.)

MR first performed a TRIM function, which is pretty unusual in my experience, and then proceeded to restore, by means of a full copy. This was not the usual rapid restore after checking for changes. It took a very long time.

What did Rollback do to my SSD, and is the SSD back to normal?

Umbra? Anybody?

Last edited:

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
I installed rollback on my SSD, but then I read these posts, so I uninstalled.
then I restored my system, using Macrium Reflect.
(I uninstalled first before restoring, because rollback saves the snapshots on a hidden partition that MR might not be able to read. So I wanted to get that out of the way, first.)

MR first performed a TRIM function, which is pretty unusual in my experience, and then proceeded to restore, by means of a full copy. This was not the usual rapid restore after checking for changes. It took a very long time.

What did Rollback do to my SSD, and is the SSD back to normal?

Umbra? Anybody?
I recommend you manually format the system partition before you restore your system (after you uninstall RollBack Rx).
Once you format the system partition and after you make sure all traces of RollBack Rx are removed, you can safely restore your system from a system image.
Do not worry, your SSD is not harmed in any way, physically or virtually.

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
Thank you Umbra. You addressed the bootkit false positive, and the advice is very well needed RollbackRx is great software. If the ability to 'backup' or some such of critical point snapshots were available, as well as the ability for the software to update without losing your snapshots, it would be near perfect.

RollbackRx Pro has saved me several times. It's also good for when something like Office doesn't install correctly. Instead of using a cleanup tool, just Rollback to previous snapshot if you can and start over.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
My big fear is my many Games in Steam, Origin. and Uplay, I have a clone but if it breaks the first, I am not trying it on the second.
It would take me a month or more to re-install it all. MS better get this one right :confused:
I will have my ear to the ground in the gaming communities for signs of trouble for sure :p

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.