Advice Request Router recommendation?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Hello,
I am looking for a router recommendation because I want to switch out my included isp router. It has the potato wifi quality connection ever like signal will drop from 5 bars to 2 bars in 25 feet or so. I am on Frontier Communications isp with 500/500 and using ethernet cable. I am not on wifi 6 afaik. I am not network security expert and not familiar with network terminology and such . Max price $150. Good security out of the box and good support on the long term. Wifi 6 for future proof if possible. I can tweak some security settings but will need an assistant to help me. I am currently have my eyes on these. I am not sure if these have good security out of the box? I doubt it has better security than included isp router. My included isp router is arris nvg468mq.

ASUS AX1800 WiFi 6 Router (RT-AX56U)​

ASUS - Wireless-AX3000 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router - Black​

NETGEAR - Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 WiFi Router - Black​

Last edited:

Sammo

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2012
Hello,
I am looking for a router recommendation because I want to switch out my included isp router. It has the potato wifi quality connection ever like signal will drop from 5 bars to 2 bars in 25 feet or so. I am on Frontier Communications isp with 500/500 and using coax cable. I am not on wifi 6 afaik. I am not network security expert and not familiar with network terminology and such . Max price $150. Good security out of the box and good support on the long term. Wifi 6 for future proof if possible. I can tweak some security settings but will need an assistant to help me. I am currently have my eyes on these. I am not sure if these have good security out of the box? I doubt it has better security than included isp router. My included isp router is arris nvg468mq.

ASUS AX1800 WiFi 6 Router (RT-AX56U)​

ASUS - Wireless-AX3000 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router - Black​

NETGEAR - Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 WiFi Router - Black​

I would recommend a AX router because they are wifi 6. I have also have had good luck with powerline adapters.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I would recommend a AX router because they are wifi 6. I have also have had good luck with powerline adapters.
Oh okay. And replacing my isp router with my own is just unplug my isp router then plug in my own router then fire it up and going through install or there is some procedure I need to do before replacing my isp router with my own?

Not Gryphon
wdym?

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@SumTingWong

Regardless for what kind of router you are buying, think about which devices you are putting on which frequency band. As far as I understood correctly, interferention from neighbours and slower devices reduce the overall throughput on a frequency, so as a rule of thumb

1. Group slower and risky IOT-devices
I have all our mobile phones on the 2.4 frequency and the IOT devices on the guest network of the 2.4 frequency with a short lease time. Guest networks are partitioned by default (meaning they can't access other devices in the same network).

2. Search for frequencies with the lowest interferance
In some countries some of the 5GHz network frequencies were used for other purposes. In the NL this means that your ISP does not allow to select these channeks on the ISP-provided router. Buying your own router gives you the option to use such a hard to get frequency channel and enjoy the benefits of less interference with your neighbor's routers.

3. When you are not CN paranoid
Have a look at TP-link routers. They often have models with higher throughputs than competing products and most have Home Care which is powered by Trend-Micro (also identifies IOT devices with unpatched vulnabilities).

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Gryphon was once very heavily hyped here. Now Gryphon is apparently out of business. No response from Gryphon for months. Support not active any longer. Dead, empty shell of a company.

You should better correctly mention that Gryphon was "heavily hyped" by one person only here in the past but that was some years ago!

Off-topic: Those people like to spam around the forums, another former member always recommended to switch from Windows to a more secure Chromebook.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
@SumTingWong

Regardless for what kind of router you are buying, think about which devices you are putting on which frequency band. As far as I understood correctly, interferention from neighbours and slower devices reduce the overall throughput on a frequency, so as a rule of thumb

1. Group slower and risky IOT-devices
I have all our mobile phones on the 2.4 frequency and the IOT devices on the guest network of the 2.4 frequency with a short lease time. Guest networks are partitioned by default (meaning they can't access other devices in the same network).

2. Search for frequencies with the lowest interferance
In some countries some of the 5GHz network frequencies were used for other purposes. In the NL this means that your ISP does not allow to select these channeks on the ISP-provided router. Buying your own router gives you the option to use such a hard to get frequency channel and enjoy the benefits of less interference with your neighbor's routers.

3. When you are not CN paranoid
Have a look at TP-link routers. They often have models with higher throughputs than competing products and most have Home Care which is powered by Trend-Micro (also identifies IOT devices with unpatched vulnabilities).
ASUS router good too and what about net gear? I have 3 asus motherboards so I know they are good quality but not sure about their router end.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Gryphon was once very heavily hyped here. Now Gryphon is apparently out of business. No response from Gryphon for months. Support not active any longer. Dead, empty shell of a company.
Gryphon just had a round of public funding and answered my chat questions on their website. Their support from engineers is incredibly slow if the basic chat support can’t help, though. And no advanced controls, it’s very set and forget. And they definitely seemed more focused on marketing and fundraising than improving the product. Their parental controls can’t be beat, however, if you’re looking for that.

I’d personally get the RT-AX3000 from that bunch. I’m pretty sure Merlin’s firmware at smallnetbuilder forums supports it. His firmware is legendary.

Last edited:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Love ASUS AX with merlin firmware. Lots of features, stable with good logging and customization options. Some basic security (signature based) included also.
Asus on top. TP-link is good too but not as good as Asus. As for D-link, I won't recommend it.
Gryphon just had a round of public funding and answered my chat questions on their website. Their support from engineers is incredibly slow if the basic chat support can’t help, though. And no advanced controls, it’s very set and forget. And they definitely seemed more focused on marketing and fundraising than improving the product. Their parental controls can’t be beat, however, if you’re looking for that.

I’d personally get the RT-AX3000 from that bunch. I’m pretty sure Merlin’s firmware at smallnetbuilder forums supports it. His firmware is legendary.
asus router good and reliable?

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
You should better correctly mention that Gryphon was "heavily hyped" by one person only here in the past but that was some years ago!

Off-topic: Those people like to spam around the forums, another former member always recommended to switch from Windows to a more secure Chromebook.

Off-topic:

Oh that one person, he is a very sly guy indeed.

The amount of (somewhat bad) products and licenses that some members of this forum bought because they believed in this guy narrative/non sense is outrageous.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.