Advice Request Router recommendation?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
It didn’t, I ran it for about 5 years. And there one before it for about 4. There have been models prone to that, but the most popular models seem to be well designed. If you live in a hot area, or will be stressing the processor for extended periods there are third party cooking solutions. Most people don’t need these.
oh okay, and you have the asus ai protection turn on too right?

I can't find the video on youtube. That was many years ago... but you can still find many videos on Asus if you searched for them. Never had overheating nor loss of speed issues. Maybe a tiny bit of overheating on my tp-link but not Asus.
how do you know if the router is overheating? Like instant shut down? What do you to cool it down? I read people slap on computer fans onto it with some weird modifications which look ridiculous to me.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
oh okay, and you have the asus ai protection turn on too right?

how do you know if the router is overheating? Like instant shut down? What do you to cool it down? I read people slap on computer fans onto it with some weird modifications which look ridiculous to me.
I did keep AiProtection on during that time, yea. I probably will when I get a new ASUS. Some people don’t like it, I have no problem with it.

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
Hello @Yanick

If you intend to use the Router as designed by the vendor you should have no issues. The terms of people that use like lots of devices in a network or experiment allot - Then things like throughput - pps (Packets per second) and so on are important factors.

To explain even a simple Firewall needs processing power - If it has more interfaces it needs routing or switching capability's - For one to connect two subnets or lets call them simple Networks (Internet and HomeLAN) - Then things like roles or apps are another factor - That is why things like (Pfsense, OPNsense - Sophos XG / UTM HomeEdition) and so on require good hardware the more features you enable.

Others use special hardware made for just that purpose like ASUS - TP-Link - Cisco and so on... the list is super long - Everything out of that spectrum is not supported by the Vendor. It does not mean it can do it - It is just not supported natively! ;)

The best part out of all of this is to make your own experience and try out a few things - Ask the MalwareTips Community for advice on things that need explanation or how other things work. Of course there is youtube and have to say the "Lawrence Systems" Channel is my fav.

Best regards and have fun tinkering
Val.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Asus or TP-lInk, if you are okay with Chinese company.
Asus is based in Taipei, Taiwan. TP-Link is from Shenzen, China.

I usually don't recommend chinese products to anyone, starting from mobile phones. But I have to say I'm impressed with TP-Links products. I was sceptical at first because their products are much cheaper and in same feature range as Asus. It turns out you can get same features for lower price.

I wanted to get something inexpensive, yet great and TP-Link really was the best choice. If I wanted to spend way more money on a router, I'd most definitely go with Asus.
oh okay

as far I read, the asus ai protection is like router antivirus? Does it lower your security by a lot by leaving this off? Does trend micro still collect your data if you have asus ai protection off?

Does tp link homeshield provided by avira has aggressive privacy policy like asus ai protection provided by trendmicro?

does trend micro still collect your data even you have ai protection off?

i know tp link is chinese company, but asus too? Any american company router though?

To everyone, what do you think of netgear router? How long is the support?
Man, choosing a router is so hard than choosing a phone like for real.
As I said, my router doesn't have that security features as I don't need them so I bought the one without them on purpose.

But if it was between Trend Micro and Avira, I'd choose Avira. Just because they are based in Germany and are obliged to follow strict EU privacy laws.

Even though TP-Link is chinese company, what differs them from the Huawei and Xiaomi is they don't have privacy scandals all the time. I've tried looking for any evidence, but I couldn't find anything. I did find some discovered vulnerabilities which were promptly fixed, but that's something you find on any router vendor.
do you remember the youtube video you watch? Any of your router experience overheating or losing speed?
Just read, read, read, read the reviews. The more reviews you read, the better you'll be informed. I did exactly the same when I was looking for the router back in february.

Also, read the comments. Read the reviews on Amazon and take a look at vendor's community forum to see if router(s) have some commonly reported issues.

I was thinking about buying TP-Link Archer AX50. It's an older router than my Archer AX20, but it's maximum speed is greater and has DFS channels support. What threw me off buying it were the reports how hot router becomes when operational. People put pictures to forums where it can be clearly seen working temperature is over the declared one. Even TP-Link forum staff recommended someone to buy a fan to help it cool down.

Apparently, Intel chipset is the reason why operational temperature is so high. It uses different arhitecture than the Broadcom chipsets which are commonly used in routers. I'm not sure which, but there is another router vendor which uses Intel chipset in one of their routers. It has exactly same problem with overheating.
I can't find the video on youtube. That was many years ago... but you can still find many videos on Asus if you searched for them. Never had overheating nor loss of speed issues. Maybe a tiny bit of overheating on my tp-link but not Asus.
Router I've got from my ISP back in 2013. is hotter than TP-Link which actually does all the work. I've tried downloading files on two PCs and a mobile phone to see if I could get my new router to the knees with usage, but I couldn't. 😆

familytech

Jun 16, 2021
I can only find funding for 2017 and an SEC 2019 filing to offer company shares if it ever went IPO.

Basically, Gryphon remains at the Kickstarter level.

I could not get either sales nor support to answer emails.

Rumor has it that Gryphon is not producing any further routers and that once the current on-hand stock is gone there shall be no replacements.

ForgottenSeer 58943 posted over on the now defunct Voodooshield forum that he was the premiere poster here at MalwareTips.

Anyhow, as far as reviews based upon actual tests, there are what the American Consumer Reports publishes. Their reviews and ratings are fair and reliable.

Hello! I just wanted to hop in and say, as the head of technical support for Gryphon Online Safety, Inc., that we are very much in business AND producing new products. I currently have our new AX (wifi 6 model) in my house and am testing it out before we start selling the new products. I am sorry you were unable to reach our support. My team is available live to answer any issues or questions from 8 AM - 11 PM EST seven days a week via phone, email, or the chat widget on our website.

To address the funding reports, our current funding round has been taking place through seedinvest

Please let me know if you have any questions at all! Happy to answer anything.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@SumTingWong

As posted earlier, my girlfriend got a TP-link AC4000 tri-band from her work (which has excellent QoS and Trend Micro AiProtect). When I would be in the market for a new router I would have set my eyes on an Asus RT-AX58U. Normally I don't spend more than 150 euro for a router, but this model got an excellent reward of hardware.info, This is a Dutch hardware comparatives website, which (at least in the Netherlands) is regarded highly (because of their seemingly independent review quality) Hardware.info is the Dutch equivalent to Tom's hardware.

The Asus RT-AX58U sells at 160 euro, so you should be able to get it around this price tag of 150 dollars (we pay 21% added value tax in the Netherlands). The TP-link AX50 got a great value reward from hardware.info. You should be able to get it for less than 100 dollars. When you want Trend Micro AiProtection choose Asus or TP-link, when you want open source firmware Netgear might be your best choice (but sorry to say, considering the questions you ask this might be a little over your head). Netgear Nighthawk AX4 matches Asus 58U in price and only performs a little less than the Asus (but could be flashed with open source firmware, giving you total control).

So when you are looking for a router in the 100 to 150 dollar price range your best options are (at the moment of writing this post) Asus AX58U, TP-Link AX50 and Netgear Nighthawk AX4

Last edited:

ZeePriest

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 2, 2020
It really doesn't overheat but it gets a little bit warm to the touch and that's all. It doesn't shutdown and I don't do anything to cool it down because there's no need for that if the router is just a little warm to the touch.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
@SumTingWong

As posted earlier, my girlfriend got a TP-link AC4000 tri-band from her work (which has excellent QoS and Trend Micro AiProtect). When I would be in the market for a new router I would have set my eyes on an Asus RT-AX58U. Normally I don't spend more than 150 euro for a router, but this model got an excellent reward of hardware.info, This is a Dutch hardware comparatives website, which (at least in the Netherlands) is regarded highly (because of their seemingly independent review quality) Hardware.info is the Dutch equivalent to Tom's hardware.

The Asus RT-AX58U sells at 160 euro, so you should be able to get it around this price tag of 150 dollars (we pay 21% added value tax in the Netherlands). The TP-link AX50 got a great value reward from hardware.info. You should be able to get it for less than 100 dollars. When you want Trend Micro AiProtection choose Asus or TP-link, when you want open source firmware Netgear might be your best choice (but sorry to say, considering the questions you ask this might be a little over your head). Netgear Nighthawk AX4 matches Asus 58U in price and only performs a little less than the Asus (but could be flashed with open source firmware, giving you total control).

So when you are looking for a router in the 100 to 150 dollar price range your best options are (at the moment of writing this post) Asus AX58U, TP-Link AX50 and Netgear Nighthawk AX4

Do you know if netgear has good and long support compare to asus and tp link?
It really doesn't overheat but it gets a little bit warm to the touch and that's all. It doesn't shutdown and I don't do anything to cool it down because there's no need for that if the router is just a little warm to the touch.
oh okay

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Something that can run OpenWRT preferably with Qualcomm SoC (avoid Broadcom) + 256MB of RAM, consumer grade routers' firmware is full of bad quality code, questionable security decisions and outdated dependencies such as running Linux 2.3 kernel in 2021.

The Netgear R7800 is well supported by OpenWRT and people says it provides good coverage.

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
@SumTingWong

If someone is looking for a router around 150€, it might be a good idea to get TP-Link Archer AX73. It's faster, but costs less than Asus RT-AX58U.

All electronics gets warm during usage and that is completely normal. Archer AX50 warms more than other routers and that's a problem because of thermal throttling. Forums are full of reports about that issue and there are even reports of router performing poorly because of the temperature. So I'd definitely recommend to stay away from AX50. Also, it's an older router (there are newer models) and it doesn't support latest WPA3 encryption.

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Tp-link Ax73 costs 135 euro in NL, good choice
Cheapest offer I could find in Croatia for AX73 is 108€, while cheapest RT-AX58U is 128€.

By the way; everyone buying the router from the EU/EEA area should buy it online. In case you're not satisfied with the product, you have 14 days (from the moment package arrives) to return it (along with the original packaging) and to get money back. It's the EU law.

Last edited:

familytech

Jun 16, 2021
Cool very happy to see official Gryphon representatives here at MalwareTips - @familytech

Soo..~ many questions now! :D

I hold on those when more news breaks of the Gryphon AX Router. (Wanna test this so bad!!!)

Sincerely
Val.
Thanks! I have to say, our AX router is pretty awesome. I'm testing out the new app as well, and it's got some great improvements! My only problem at the moment with the AX router is that for some reason we've removed a couple of LAN ports. :( I'm going to ask about it, cause I am definitely bummed.

Reactions: Nevi and ZeePriest

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Thanks! I have to say, our AX router is pretty awesome. I'm testing out the new app as well, and it's got some great improvements! My only problem at the moment with the AX router is that for some reason we've removed a couple of LAN ports. :( I'm going to ask about it, cause I am definitely bummed.
There are only 2 lan ports on the AX!? That would be a deal breaker for our house.

My biggest gripe about the Gryphon is UPnP not working for game systems/PCs. I know it’s not the most secure, but if kept up to date the UPnP stack can be used on a home network.

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
Yeah - WiFi - 4 LAN Ports and 1 WAN would be great.

Feedback - As a Idea and part of Network security -> Network Segmentation with the option to let other Subnets Route to each other or not (Like a toggle switch) :D

Makes Home-Network configuration a breeze like:

- Do you want to segment your network for IoT / TV / PC / Console / WiFi and it gives you a choice on how many devices you have or plan to have (Example: 10 in total)
- Then it could create equal subnets automatically (Example: IoT 192.168.0.0 /29 - TV 192.168.1.0 /29 - PC 192.168.2.0 /29 - Console 192.168.3.0 /29 - WiFi 192.168.4.0 /29) - That means that there is space for six devices in each network and if you need more you just switch up the Subnet form there on... /28 = 14 Devices on each Network
- Like this ppl can choose if the IoT network should talk to the consoles or the TV and so on...
Just a idea/suggestion :D

Sincerely
Val.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.