Advice Request Router recommendation?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

familytech

Jun 16, 2021
Yeah - WiFi - 4 LAN Ports and 1 WAN would be great.

Feedback - As a Idea and part of Network security -> Network Segmentation with the option to let other Subnets Route to each other or not (Like a toggle switch) :D

Makes Home-Network configuration a breeze like:

- Do you want to segment your network for IoT / TV / PC / Console / WiFi and it gives you a choice on how many devices you have or plan to have (Example: 10 in total)
- Then it could create equal subnets automatically (Example: IoT 192.168.0.0 /29 - TV 192.168.1.0 /29 - PC 192.168.2.0 /29 - Console 192.168.3.0 /29 - WiFi 192.168.4.0 /29) - That means that there is space for six devices in each network and if you need more you just switch up the Subnet form there on... /28 = 14 Devices on each Network
- Like this ppl can choose if the IoT network should talk to the consoles or the TV and so on...
Just a idea/suggestion :D

Sincerely
Val.
Yep, I get that recommendation. I'll stick it on our list. Not sure how long it will take to implement, but I know it's not something they are working on at the moment. I have daily calls with our Engineering team.

We really appreciate any and all feedback, so thank you for the suggestion!

poopdookie

Level 2
Feb 11, 2021
Question to all aiprotect/merlin/asus router users. Does aiprotect/trenmicro block/notify on ransomware activity (specifically encrypting of network shares)?. Has anyone had ransomware activity on their network that aiprotect/asus trendmicro missed?

Reactions: ZeePriest

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Question to all aiprotect/merlin/asus router users. Does aiprotect/trenmicro block/notify on ransomware activity (specifically encrypting of network shares)?. Has anyone had ransomware activity on their network that aiprotect/asus trendmicro missed?
It would if it contacted a C&C server I bet. It’s mostly IP filtering, or at least it used to be.

Reactions: Nevi and ZeePriest

construxboy

Aug 27, 2021
Thanks! I have to say, our AX router is pretty awesome. I'm testing out the new app as well, and it's got some great improvements! My only problem at the moment with the AX router is that for some reason we've removed a couple of LAN ports. :( I'm going to ask about it, cause I am definitely bummed.
I've had the AX for a few weeks now and that's my only issue as well. I actually had to get another ethernet switch to replace the extra LAN ports I was using on the old Tower. But other than that, the AX is great so far.

There are only 2 lan ports on the AX!? That would be a deal breaker for our house.

My biggest gripe about the Gryphon is UPnP not working for game systems/PCs. I know it’s not the most secure, but if kept up to date the UPnP stack can be used on a home network.
There's only 1 LAN. And the 1 WAN. Their response to my question was that wanted to concentrate on making it more wireless.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
I ordered a Belkin RT3200 to flash it with OpenWrt, the hardware looks promising (64 bit dual core Cortex A53 @ 1.35GHz, 512MB RAM and 4x4 WiFi 6 radio).

My current router it's a Mikrotik hAP AC2 but WiFi it's not so good although ROS 7.1 beta recently got CAKE QoS.

Reactions: eonline

james85

Jun 14, 2022
I recommend TP-Link AX1800 because It works perfectly fine at the speed of 1201 Mbps. The upgraded version will function perfectly at this general speed with a band of 5GHz. However, this 5GHz will not be able to take the burden of more devices simultaneously.

Reactions: Sammo

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I've been looking to update my trusty ole Tp-link AC1750 router even though it does the job with multiple firesticks and ipads and phones around the house when you add things like Steam link on top of it it starts to choke up.
So beside throughput I'll probably need something with beefier cpu/ram specs to handle that for now and future but I don't want to spend $500 for a router either.
Not looking for RGB or some fancy features I just need wifi router that does the wifi router things right range, speed, stability not necessarily in that order.
From what I was able to google it looks like toms and pcmag the authorities on routers but many times they'll have opposite reviews on an item and sometimes they'll give good score on same one but I go on Amazon and it has like only 3.5 stars.
Let me know if there is some other place where they do proper testing on routers and not make recommendations based on what's on the box.
The router that seems to have good around score is TP-Link Archer AX11000 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 Router but costing $250 it's a bit pricey.
Another one is this one Reyee WiFi 6 Router AX3200. Sounds like no nonsense router.

Reactions: Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.