Advice Request Running Windows Defender in its own Sandbox?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Ok but can WD still update definitions with windows update disabled
? Also to get notificationsin taskbar do we need security icon in taskbar for this?Thks

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

There's another method via Group Policy which should work too I think.
Open "Edit group policy" >> Administrative Templates >> Windows Components >> Microsoft Defender Antivirus >> Security Intelligence Updates >> Check for the latest virus and spyware security intelligence on startup. Enable this policy and Windows Defender should update everyday after turning on the PC.
There's another policy there to modify the interval of checking updates but it's not necessary to modify that.

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
There's another method via Group Policy which should work too I think.
Open "Edit group policy" >> Administrative Templates >> Windows Components >> Microsoft Defender Antivirus >> Security Intelligence Updates >> Check for the latest virus and spyware security intelligence on startup. Enable this policy and Windows Defender should update everyday after turning on the PC.
There's another policy there to modify the interval of checking updates but it's not necessary to modify that.
Thks and this would be with windows update service disabled?

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Ok Thlks I dida test and WD did not alert me on that file i used ,either because windows update is disabled or icon is not there or something else...weird

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Ok Thlks I dida test and WD did not alert me on that file i used ,either because windows update is disabled or icon is not there or something else...weird

That's to the best of my knowledge anyway. You can hide it via ConfigureDefender (also part of Hard_Configurator) if you use those. I take it the test file was still blocked?

Reactions: Protomartyr

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
I came across this article today, and was intrigued by the hardening suggestion:

Windows Defender Antivirus can now run in a sandbox - Microsoft Security

Has anyone else tried doing this? Very simple to activate, noticed no slow downs. Considering the bum rap over the years WD received, I figure every little bit helps it, and therefore me. So now I am running WD (Sandboxed).

Thoughts? Thanks.
Does the WD sandbox use the virtulization feature? If I turn that on it conflicts with my android emulator. :confused:

Reactions: Protomartyr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.