Advice Request Safe to leave Bluetooth turned on all the time?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Since I seen reports about BlueBorne, KNOB and the latest BIAS attacks, I personal tend to disable Bluetooth when I don't need or use it.

Most of this is patched anyway nowadays, but one actually have to check those patches is installed on the phone as just because it's mentioned in an article ain't the same.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
I always turn off bluetooth because i never use it anyway, as upnorth posted thats a reason i felt like there is something access my phone without knowing i always turn off like Location, bluetooth, others when i dont use them its safe...

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Depends on hardware. If it's a iPhone or Google Pixel then yes because of good isolation and stuff like IOMMU.
Of course system needs always be up2date with not more then a week behind Google/ Apple updates.

Also Bluetooth has a low range which make it hard for attacks against safe systems

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Depends on hardware. If it's a iPhone or Google Pixel then yes because of good isolation and stuff like IOMMU.
Of course system needs always be up2date with not more then a week behind Google/ Apple updates.

Also Bluetooth has a low range which make it hard for attacks against safe systems
If @security123 says it’s safe, then it must be!

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Disable it along with WiFi when not in use / public space if possible.
Both can be used as for snooping or as a vector and it's pretty dangerous since low access to the baseband chip firmware ( usually requires an exploit)

Only if it's used by Apps. Else you will not see Bluetooth listed in power management (same for GPS)
New devices also use Bluetooth Low Energy stuff.

I only repeat what experts say.
Yeah the Bluetooth low power or whatever it's called has less radius so it's technically a lot safer .

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@upnorth Thanks for the video.

In addition it also drains your battery
If on, but not connected, Bluetooth uses less than WiFi?
Also I find 4G Mobile Data to be most draining.

Disable it along with WiFi when not in use / public space if possible.
I prefer a constant Internet connection, either WiFi or 4G is enabled at all times.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
@upnorth Thanks for the video.

If on, but not connected, Bluetooth uses less than WiFi?

Also I find 4G Mobile Data to be most draining.
Yes Bluetooth uses less energy then WiFi and the low energy Bluetooth variety can probably run a few days if not more on today's smart phone batteries(my parents had an iot device using this technology Wich ran weeks on a smaller battery then most smartphones)

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I recall another Bluetooth issue called " Bluefrag " as I even mentioned it in my own mobile configuration thread, but I couldn't find a post with the patch. It was released as a Critical update in February and I somehow forgot add it in the thread. CVE-2020-0022.
This is what I mean about check/confirm your vendors updates.

Another video about Bluetooth vulnerabilities and more easy to understand, is an issue from 2017 with a Vaultek VT20i handgun safe.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.