Sandboxie Version: 4.12 released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
On my one PC downstairs, the Sandboxie Control Panel disappear yesterday! Has majors problems
starting the up there after. Let to do a fresh install on the PC. For now I completely un-install, SandBoxie.
Not sure what is going on. Also, remove Sandboxie from my other PC's.:(

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
Just updated earlier and I was able to update only when online. Usually I can update without getting online. It downloaded some file it needed.

pL3q7KJ.png

But the thing that annoyed me was I suddenly had a force shutdown! Was typing an email I needed to send and suddenly it went pfft!

After reboot all is okay. I'd wish they informed us that a forced shutdown or reboot is eminent after the MS Visual C++ redistributable libraries download/install. No buttons or pop-up was seen either.

software182

Level 12
Verified
Mar 4, 2014
Just updated earlier and I was able to update only when online. Usually I can update without getting online. It downloaded some file it needed.

pL3q7KJ.png

But the thing that annoyed me was I suddenly had a force shutdown! Was typing an email I needed to send and suddenly it went pfft!

After reboot all is okay. I'd wish they informed us that a forced shutdown or reboot is eminent after the MS Visual C++ redistributable libraries download/install. No buttons or pop-up was seen either.

New installers of Sandboxie 4.12 [ No need to download those annoying Visual C++ Redist ]

Sandboxie 4.12 Stand-alone installer 32bit (3.04MB)

http://www.sandboxie.com/attic/SandboxieInstall32-412.exe

Sandboxie 4.12 Stand-alone installer 64bit (3.49MB)

http://www.sandboxie.com/attic/SandboxieInstall64-412.exe

Tested & works like charm on Windows 8.1 Pro with Update x64

SBIE.png

CapeBuffalo

Level 2
Verified
May 12, 2014
hehe what an interesing thing, i updated it a few days ago and it had no signature so i cancelled, now i update it today and it has a signature
Note: i update it through the program itself

CapeBuffalo

Level 2
Verified
May 12, 2014
Always used avast hardened mode with sandboxie and never got a problem, now since update i see sandboxiecrypto.exe
is this necessary to run?
is it a crpytolock blocker? (if not they need to change the name)

0eb6ZZG.png

jimipre

Level 1
Verified
May 30, 2014
I am very interested in knowing if anyone has tried:

Returnil System Safe Free
InmunOS
Browser in the Box (BIB)

Browser in the Box, was developed for the German government by Sirrix AG. It is free for personal use. I just found it yesterday, and I am very intrigued by it.

Can be used with Windows XP and Windows 7
Comes with: VirtualBox 4.0.16, hardened Linux Debian 6 and SELinux and Firefox

It is one click install, but it is a huge download (473,000kb). it is also, one click to get up and running. Inside windows you click on the icon and Virtual box opens Linux and FireFox runs inside of Linux which is inside of Virtual Box.

Since there are few Linux viruses, and you are virtualized it seems like the most secure way to surf the web. I plan on installing it this week and giving it a try. My fear is that it will slow browsing dramatically, but I don't really know for sure. Given that it was created for the German government, it is probably well designed.

The link below is in English, and the website has User Manuals, and other free software. Another one by Sirrix AG, that looks interesting is called Trusted Desktop. Most of the pages load in English, however I did have to use Google translate on the download page to make sure that I was clicking on the correct link. I don't know how many other languages the website is in, but I suggest using Google Chrome, and having Google translate enabled if you speak something other than English or German.The manual from the English website downloaded into an English PDF, and it indicated indicated that there was a way to get Avira antivirus installed into BIB. Other than that, it appears to be one click installation.

http://www.sirrix.com/content/pages/BitBox_en.htm

BASIC CHARACTERISTICS of Browser in the Box (From Website)

Can be used with Windows XP and Windows 7
Comes with: VirtualBox 4.0.16, hardened Linux Debian 6 and SELinux and Firefox
COMFORT

Transparent usage with no deviation to a normal direct browser operation
Simple installation without special knowhow
SECURITY

Browser execution takes place in separated virtual machine with own operating system
Downloaded files are first scanned and then provided to user
Configurable security polic for copy & paste, download, upload and printing
Secure download and uplaod
Secure copy & paste
Secure printing
Reset to certified initial snapshot upon each start of the browser
Configuration data of the browser can be stored persistently and are retained for restart

InmunOS comes from a Spanish website, and the English website is a little bit choppy in its wording. It is also free for virtual use, and they claim it will always be free. However, it looks less integrated than Browser in the Box. The link is below, but now the website appears to be down, but it was up and running yesterday.

http://www.pentest.es/inmunos.php

I plan on trying Browser in the Box soon and I will post what I find here. Again, please let me know if you have tried either of these virtual browsers.

Reactions: Moose

jimipre

Level 1
Verified
May 30, 2014

Thingol

Level 1
Verified
Aug 9, 2014
Beta now up to .13.2

Combined 32/64 installer:
http://www.sandboxie.com/SandboxieInstall-413-2.exe

Separate:
http://www.sandboxie.com/SandboxieInstall32-413-2.exe
http://www.sandboxie.com/SandboxieInstall64-413-2.exe

Fixes in 4.13.2

1) If SandboxieInstall.exe tries to download the VC Redistributables and fails, there is now a retry option.

2) The SbieSvc startup time has been increased from 5 seconds to 15 seconds. Hopefully, this will eliminate the following sequence of startup errors:
SBIE2335 Initialization failed for process %2
SBIE2336 Error in GUI server: %2
SBIE2337 Failed to start program: %2

3) Malware DarkComet is using a quirk in Windows to put up a MessageBox that does not have the sandboxed yellow window border. This poses no security risk, but to prevent user anxiety, this has been fixed (reported by a Sbie user).

4) Security has been tightened in other areas as well.

Still no MBAE or Chrome 37 x64 support.

Cheers

Chris

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
Still no MBAE ... support.

The thing is, I bet if both developers would try to fix this together, they could probably solve it in five minutes. My guess is neither side is putting in any effort to make this work. Even a user was able to put out some workaround that worked at least with older versions of Sandboxie.

Pretty pathetic for both side IMHO.

Reactions: Thingol
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.