Troubleshoot SATA III SSD on SATA II motherboard with SATA II HDD's attached.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Hello!
Just a simple question. I have an Asus formula III SATA II motherboard and I am planning to buy a cheap SSD sata III drive. Will there be any problem if I use both HDD (for files) and the SSD for the system?
I believe not, but I ask because someone in a forum said that you sould have only the ssd attached. Is this true?
If someone know for sure, or has such configuration, please tell me.
Thanks.. :)

randj89

Level 4
Verified
May 7, 2014
I would say yes because today's modern ssd's are backward compatible.

Of course not all of them are backward compatible but usually if they are the product specs will tell you.

Reactions: Nikos751
Upvote 0

randj89

Level 4
Verified
May 7, 2014
That's true. You just have to attach it for it to work but again if it's compatible and I think it is. Just read the specs on the product package or instructions.

Upvote 0

Adhit Prakosho

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
For pairs simultaneously, there must be sacrificed.
If still installing Optical Disk reader, you are advised to add RAM to set the ramdrive where all the repetitive writing affairs, transferred to the media outside the SSD Because writing is often repeated that will reduce the life of your SSD ...

sorry bad english:)

Upvote 0

randj89

Level 4
Verified
May 7, 2014
No brother, sorry if I am wrong...I am just sharing what I've ever experienced
Don't get me wrong. I just thought that one of the answers came from the person who asked the original questions. Now if you see none of all the responses on this post is from the one who asked, that means he/she hasn't read anything yet.

Upvote 0

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
I have similar configuration regarding the storage. There wont be any problem. Your devices wont have any conflicts. Only thing you could mind is that you wont be able to use full speed from your ssd.

Upvote 0

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Thank you all for replying! :)
For some reason I had no notifications for the thread even though I am watching it, so I am a bit late.
One guy here mentioned someone in a forum that said to have only the ssd attached, that's actually the reason I asked, otherwise I knew that all should be ok.

Upvote 0

Adhit Prakosho

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
Thank you all for replying! :)
For some reason I had no notifications for the thread even though I am watching it, so I am a bit late.
One guy here mentioned someone in a forum that said to have only the ssd attached, that's actually the reason I asked, otherwise I knew that all should be ok.

:) np bro...good luck to upgrade your pc :)

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.