Deprecated Say Goodbye to Microsoft Cortana on Android and iOS (2021)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
SOURCE - Microsoft is basically giving up on Cortana, Android support to die next year (VIA MICROSOFT)

Beginning in early 2021, support for Cortana will be ended on Android, iOS, and a couple of small platforms. Cortana had already been phased out in several countries a few months ago, but this change will be global.

Microsoft is transitioning Cortana into more of a productivity assistant than a Google Assistant and Alexa competitor.

Cortana will still be available on Android via the Outlook and Teams apps, but with a different focus.

Third-party Cortana skills will lose support on September 7th, which is just over a month away, but full support will soldier on until early 2021. Also having support ended are the Harman Kardon Invoke smart speaker in January 2021 and the original Surface Headphones (it was never included in the Surface Headphones 2). Microsoft will be sending out a $50 gift card to any active Invoke owner (anyone who's sent at least one Cortana voice request after July 31st, 2019), and Surface Headphones owners are each being offered a $25 gift card as well.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Cortana is eradicated quickly whenever it appears on Windows either new install or update - I've never used it and never will, much like most MS modules I suppose :)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have always turned it off and have never known anyone who used it. Besides the privacy concerns, I have read many reports that Cortana is "rude" towards users.
It's an American thing. Digital assistants aren't known for global availability, and many of its primary functions weren't available for countries outside of the US at launch. This also applies to Apple's Siri and Google's Assistant too.

Cortana's notebook has data collected on you for personalised use, and can be erased at your request. Locally and online.

As for Microphone recordings sent back to servers for analysis by human ears, Apple and Google are also guilty for that.

Didn't fact check, correct if wrong.

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Microsoft has today announced that it's pulling support for the Cortana app on Windows 10 and Windows 11 later this year. The news comes just a week after Microsoft unveiled the Windows Copilot, a smarter AI assistant that's powered by ChatGPT technology and is capable of handling more complex queries.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I don't know if I can handle this. Goodbye, dear Cortana. It's been....I dunno.

crying gif.gif

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.