Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
A new feature you can put your finger on!
As Bitwarden continues its mission to allow users, teams, and organizations to share and access sensitive data securely, we also must factor in the speed of use and convenience.

Biometric and device-level authentication give users this convenience - and we’re happy to announce that as our next step, we’re bringing Windows Hello and Touch ID to the Bitwarden desktop apps for Windows and macOS!

These clients join the ranks of our mobile apps that already support biometrics on Android and iOS, allowing faster and easier unlocking, as well as tighter locking timeframes on our desktops.

Touch ID will be available for Apple devices that support it natively, and Windows Hello leverages any combination of Windows Hello supported hardware.

Windows Hello and Touch ID are available in Bitwarden Desktop version 1.20+, accessible via direct download Windows - macOS now, and will be available in the Windows Store and App Stores soon.

Stay tuned to the Bitwarden blog for more updates as we continue to bring fast and secure biometric authentication to more of our client applications - including browser extensions!

For more information on these features, be sure to check out our help article here.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I use Windows Hello for KeePass (with plugin) which is just awesome.

Nice that Bitwarden include that default now and also provide a Windows Store version. Is that a AppContainer build?
Probably, not sure I only use the extension and the extension will get Windows hello in a future update (y)
Biometrics are not currently supported on our Browser extensions. However, we understand that it is incredibly important and this functionality is on our near-term roadmap.

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Nice that Bitwarden include that default now and also provide a Windows Store version. Is that a AppContainer build?
I tried out Bitwarden Desktop from Microsoft-Store, but doesn't running as AppContainer (n)

bitwarden.png Screenshot is only in German, Sorry!

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Does their desktop client use Electron framework? It use a lot memory :oops:
(Electron is known for security problems)
I don’t know about Electron, I’ve already removed Bitwarden-Desktop because the browser extension seems to be still required to work together with Bitwarden-Desktop.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.