App Review Second Opinion Scanners Part 2

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
cruelsister

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I ditched HitmanPro sadly after a few years--due in large part to your findings. Plus, no discount was offered at the time of renewal so it just didn't seem worth the money any more.

My sincere thanks for this demonstration. Saved me some lunch money! (y)

Edited to clarify--Started using Norton Power Eraser as a substitute for HitmanPro. It does well and it's free to use. It has some false detections now and then--mainly as the exe/s are unsigned, but these are cleared within 24 hours if I report them (like HiBit ,and occasionally a Sandboxie test build).

Last edited:

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I know Kaspersky's tool is good but what are your thoughts on Dr Webs Curit? I never see any posts on it here.
Right after your post I noticed that Dr Web published a new version of their online scanner yesterday (1/20). I will test it and will at the least note results along with the F-Secure video. Thank you very much for the post!

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018

Although the video is quite a bit longer than I wanted, I felt it necessary for a proper overview. Also, F-Secure Online Scanner is not included, but will be covered sometime next week.

Thank you very much Cruelsister, ESET performed a little worse than I had hoped, especially for how slow its scan can be; and Norton Power Eraser performed even better than expected.

You have me considering a possible compromise with Kaspersky where I could possibly use one of their on demand scanners instead of one of their real-time products.

I would possibly use the Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool if you did not have to keep downloading it to scan instead of just updating to a new version from the program itself & if it could be set to automatically scan on a certain schedule, or are these things possible now?

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
can you also test rogue killer? it always finds something that other scanners miss
As I hadn't thought of that one in a while I gave it a try, and the results were as follows:

1). On malware Scan, it only detected the Persistence mechanism of the Worm (Startup). Although I let it delete that entry, on reboot the Worm persists anyway. The Stealer was ignored.
2). On Full Scan, for the data stealer both the Scheduled Task as well as the payload were detected (for some reason the Worm detection from above did NOT show up. But I let RK delete the entries for the stealer and upon reboot the Stealer was indeed eradicated, but the Worm was happily connecting out.
4). A fun fact- I had UAC disabled as usual (because it has no other use other than annoyance); however RK detected this fact (a registry entry- ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin) and changed the value from 0 (UAC disabled) to 2 (Always Notify). Sort of a reverse of a malware UAC disabler.

Thanks for the Post! That was good for a few giggles!

ps- I've been playing around with a few RAT's. RK was blissfully unaware of them.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018

Although the video is quite a bit longer than I wanted, I felt it necessary for a proper overview. Also, F-Secure Online Scanner is not included, but will be covered sometime next week.

I have to agree with you on your FIN.txt file. I really have no idea why the so-called professional tester on YT uses other 2nd opinion scanners and not these two, I've always used NPE and KVRT, and both are great products, never had any issues with them. I think the days of MBAM being the top software as a 2nd opinion scanner are over for me, they had a great run though, but would still use the service as it is free. Great video showcase though, always appreciate your videos and have been watching them for years.

~LDogg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.