Second option antivirus

Abdelwahaab

Thread author
Jul 17, 2012
Hello Brothers im using Eset smart security for along years as Real time ,
but i would like to add a second program to my config..
im using also on demand : Mbam.Hitman pro..
ad Muncher as Blocker in Win 8.1 pro

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Adding a second AV will only add more resource usage to your system and will not guarantee any better protection.

Only download files from safe sources, don't get fooled by fake alert websites or fake emails, use a secure web browser with security add-ons and always keep all of your software updated.

On Windows 8.1 learn to utilize UAC (never approve the unknown) and SmartScreen and that will be enough.

Just remember malware doesn't automatically download itself and install to your system, you have control over what you download.

Learning good web habits will protect you much better than what any security software can.

Thanks. :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Out of curiosity, what influenced your decision to need a second antivirus?

Abdelwahaab

Thread author
Jul 17, 2012
cause i read u cant trust any antivirus 100 % to protect you !

just wanna alight one product with ESET

Nedim

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2013
Abdelwahaab said:
Hello Brothers im using Eset smart security for along years as Real time ,
but i would like to add a second program to my config..
im using also on demand : Mbam.Hitman pro..
ad Muncher as Blocker in Win 8.1 pro

Add Sandboxie if you want.
No need for another AV imo.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
You are welcome to try two AV's. Some have with success.
ESET with HIPS set to "policy based" should be plenty, esp. if you have HIPS activated. I recommend adding virtualization such as Sandboxie to button you up. The Free Edition is fine.

In essence, if you really want to button up, keep your config as is, and add a BB and virtualization, and a firewall, but ESET should have a tight firewall as is. Then browser add-ons such as FireGloves, Ghostery, HTTPS Everywhere, BetterPrivacy, ABP, NoScript, and Self-Destructing Cookies. Dr. Web has a nice link checking add-on. There is also a nice add-on from HitMan Pro for your browser.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've seen you've posted a thread about running ESET and EAM together.
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-ESET-and-EAM-compatibility

FYI: Installing 2 or more AV, will not guarantee 100% either. You're better of using some common sense, or a non-AV alternative like Sandboxing, Limited user rights, or a program that restores your PC to a previous state after use (upon reboot).

Running 2 or more AV will cause compatibility issues or clashes between them, and it's not worth the trouble. Even if configure correctly.

Also you said you've been using ESET for many years, so why the change now. Bit late to say the least, Conficker was ITW many years ago, what's the recent threat to make you change your mind about ESET.

Abdelwahaab said:

NUWANTHA

Level 1
Apr 22, 2013
Hello Abdelwahaab....!
That's not a good idea to run two or more antiviruses on same system it can impact your system, if you really wanna install 2 antiviruses to your system you should turn on only one real time protector. Few thing:when you using 2AV on same system, when the viruses are active,Only one AV will detect them first and other will be past, that does not mean that other AV is poor that is system impact! :)
One way to keep one or more Av in same system securely, turn of real-time protectors and "set manual as their services"(that is best way)....!
Remember There are no antivirus can keep protect from you 100% ! that why they are updating versions, last versions not good for today, technology is growing like viruses and same as other !

Abdelwahaab

Thread author
Jul 17, 2012
Earth said:
I've seen you've posted a thread about running ESET and EAM together.
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-ESET-and-EAM-compatibility

FYI: Installing 2 or more AV, will not guarantee 100% either. You're better of using some common sense, or a non-AV alternative like Sandboxing, Limited user rights, or a program that restores your PC to a previous state after use (upon reboot).

Running 2 or more AV will cause compatibility issues or clashes between them, and it's not worth the trouble. Even if configure correctly.

Also you said you've been using ESET for many years, so why the change now. Bit late to say the least, Conficker was ITW many years ago, what's the recent threat to make you change your mind about ESET.

Abdelwahaab said:

im not mean 2 AV wasnt knew that EAM is AV was thinking its a Program Assistant Like MBAM,i knowed from MalwareTips about running 2 AV isnt the best protection

NUWANTHA said:
Hello Abdelwahaab....!
That's not a good idea to run two or more antiviruses on same system it can impact your system, if you really wanna install 2 antiviruses to your system you should turn on only one real time protector. Few thing:when you using 2AV on same system, when the viruses are active,Only one AV will detect them first and other will be past, that does not mean that other AV is poor that is system impact! :)
One way to keep one or more Av in same system securely, turn of real-time protectors and "set manual as their services"(that is best way)....!
Remember There are no antivirus can keep protect from you 100% ! that why they are updating versions, last versions not good for today, technology is growing like viruses and same as other !

ya i know it ,but its a complicated idea as i wrote above :)

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Absolutely no one product or combination of products can protect you 100% from danger. The best protection is your behavior. If it's suspicious, don't run it. If it's suspicious and you must run it, use VirusTotal and Sandboxie (or rather ask here before running). NOD32 is one of the best to have as real-time. As second opinion you already have HitmanPro and Malwarebytes, you may want to add Emsisoft Emergency Kit and maybe SUPERAntispyware too; but as you may have gathered from so many comments, your best protection is the incredible product Common Sense 2013. Version 2014 is coming up, don't forget to stay tuned for updates ;-)

Abdelwahaab

Thread author
Jul 17, 2012
Jaspion said:
Absolutely no one product or combination of products can protect you 100% from danger. The best protection is your behavior. If it's suspicious, don't run it. If it's suspicious and you must run it, use VirusTotal and Sandboxie (or rather ask here before running). NOD32 is one of the best to have as real-time. As second opinion you already have HitmanPro and Malwarebytes, you may want to add Emsisoft Emergency Kit and maybe SUPERAntispyware too; but as you may have gathered from so many comments, your best protection is the incredible product Common Sense 2013. Version 2014 is coming up, don't forget to stay tuned for updates ;-)

thanks ,thats the point i wanna to kow thnx Brothers ,and your fast comments

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Aug 26, 2012
I'm currently testing ESET SS and I don't feel the need to use EAM as it's now evolved into a full fledged AV. If you are paranoid about your system's security and you really really want something more, you can add MBAM Pro as a second line of defense as it's supposed to be able to run alongside an AV and is claimed to have good zero day protection. But Common Sense and a virtualization program like Sandboxie would be fine IMHO.
BTW what are the differences between Sandboxie paid and free editions?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.