Not open for further replies.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Network World - The Web browser has been a major infection vector for years, allowing malware to be transported to millions of computers through phishing, man-in-the-middle, SQL injection and countless other attacks. But what if there was a way to stop this madness and secure the browsing channel itself?

There are several key things to look for. First is in understanding your existing browser. When you use Chrome, for example, you agree to let Google track your browsing behavior and offer up search suggestions, send them error reports, track your URLs, and lots more. They claim it is to help improve the user experience, but it also leaves you vulnerable to attacks and records your movements through cyberspace. So a replacement browser should offer some additional privacy components. (There are products that can be used to anonymize your browsing history and protect your identity when you surf online, such as TOR or ZipZap.)

Second, a new browser should be more secure by default and make it difficult for malware writers to inject their code onto your desktops. That seems obvious, but when you consider that the browser is just one piece of a very complex collection of tools, including malware targets such as Flash, Acrobat, Javascript, and others, it can be difficult to cover all the bases.

I

illumination

A lot of dazzle, but no substance to this article. They mention two "tools" for maintaining privacy, but nothing about these "secure Browsers", that will supposedly "stop the madness" and secure the browsing channel itself.

TOR, a private network, that has run unpatched/older versions of Firefox since i can remember, and a Google Chrome Clone, that i would guess to venture uses Googles Malware and Phishing protection, and probably even has Google in its list of search engines..

If one was to secure the browsing channel, i would venture to bet, that a sandbox, would be the best solution.

Reactions: Venustus

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
A lot of dazzle, but no substance to this article. They mention two "tools" for maintaining privacy, but nothing about these "secure Browsers", that will supposedly "stop the madness" and secure the browsing channel itself.

TOR, a private network, that has run unpatched/older versions of Firefox since i can remember, and a Google Chrome Clone, that i would guess to venture uses Googles Malware and Phishing protection, and probably even has Google in its list of search engines..

If one was to secure the browsing channel, i would venture to bet, that a sandbox, would be the best solution.

Right speed get that author:D

trainbus120

Level 10
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
Network World - The Web browser has been a major infection vector for years, allowing malware to be transported to millions of computers through phishing, man-in-the-middle, SQL injection and countless other attacks. But what if there was a way to stop this madness and secure the browsing channel itself?

There are several key things to look for. First is in understanding your existing browser. When you use Chrome, for example, you agree to let Google track your browsing behavior and offer up search suggestions, send them error reports, track your URLs, and lots more. They claim it is to help improve the user experience, but it also leaves you vulnerable to attacks and records your movements through cyberspace. So a replacement browser should offer some additional privacy components. (There are products that can be used to anonymize your browsing history and protect your identity when you surf online, such as TOR or ZipZap.)

Second, a new browser should be more secure by default and make it difficult for malware writers to inject their code onto your desktops. That seems obvious, but when you consider that the browser is just one piece of a very complex collection of tools, including malware targets such as Flash, Acrobat, Javascript, and others, it can be difficult to cover all the bases.
Cyber world is increasingly becoming unsafe and with so many tom cat's around trying to steal and sell our private information, caution and knowledge can only help.These pesky co's only try to fool and make money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.