Advice Request Securing Gmail accounts with 2FA- what is the best App to use ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I would like to secure 2 or 3 Gmail accounds with two factor authentication. However, does anyone have opinions on the best authenticator App for this purpose ?

My intention was to recieve the 2FA codes on 2 devices (I have an iphone and ipad) and I woud normally log into Gmail on a Windows computer.

Google Authenticator has the strong advantage of being made specifically for use with Gmail and other Google services so should work seamlessly with them. Furthermore, Google has the resources to keep the service updated and secure over the long term. It should be around for as long as Gmail exists.

However, I have heard that Google Authenticator can be awkward to use on multiple devices. The reports I read suggest it is also difficult when you lose or change your device. This has made me consider third party authenticator apps as well (although I am nervous as they are not specifically made for Google and I don't want to get locked out).

Others I have heard of include Microsoft Authenticator and Authy.

Any comments appreciated.

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
i've been using onelogin protect since it was suggested to me for work but works perfectly with gmail, outlook, paypal, dropbox and amazon (probably more but these are the one i've tried).

it lets you backup your 2fa settings to your google drive.

although I am nervous as they are not specifically made for Google and I don't want to get locked out)

google lets you setup backup options in case you lose your 2fa. Backup options include ten one-time passcodes which you should save somewhere safe when you set up your 2fa. In addition, you can setup a backup phone number to receive a passcode via text message.

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Thanks for your answers so far. I'll check up on the things that have been mentioned.
One question- does Microsoft Authenticator let you sync between devices ? I read that Authy lets you save a profile in the cloud which makes it easier if you buy a new phone or lose the old one etc ? Google appearently doesn't do this.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Thanks for your answers so far. I'll check up on the things that have been mentioned.
One question- does Microsoft Authenticator let you sync between devices ? I read that Authy lets you save a profile in the cloud which makes it easier if you buy a new phone or lose the old one etc ? Google appearently doesn't do this.
Yes, "Microsoft Authenticator" is able to sync via your iCloud, please check link below:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Use Google Prompt for faster 2SV.

Both can backup and sync to your account:
  • LastPass Authenticator
  • Microsoft Authenticator
Only download the Official apps from the Google Play or App Store.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
(although I am nervous as they are not specifically made for Google and I don't want to get locked out).
Have you used Authenticator before? You should use backup code or locked out that's why i would suggest you to put the code in the note or something, watch it on Youtube tutorial

Well i'm using Authy (iOS and Windows)

For information

Sync Multiple devices

Lemon60

Level 2
Jun 11, 2019
Not longer maintained since 1? 2? Years

Annotation 2020-06-16 200818.png

4 year, but still good (y) i didnt find alternative (offline).

Reactions: Protomartyr
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Totally forgot:
Best 2FA is using hardware token like Nitrokey, Solokey, Yubikey.

If Google support Webauthn for Gmail, even passsord-less login with only the hardware key is possible. This isn't then of course a 2FA but a very secure login method without any weakness from password based login.

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
Totally forgot:
Best 2FA is using hardware token like Nitrokey, Solokey, Yubikey.

If Google support Webauthn for Gmail, even passsord-less login with only the hardware key is possible. This isn't then of course a 2FA but a very secure login method without any weakness from password based login.

It would be great if Gmail implemented it because right now as far as I know only Outlook supports password less login.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.