Advice Request Security and Privacy, let's talk

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

FHRNHT

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 8, 2018
Hello,
As I said in my presentation, I came here to learn.
I'm still trying to figure out where I should start: I went into "tutorials" and found at least an interesting one: Protect your privacy in Windows 10

And I went a bit further, and saw some interesting iphone configurations.

But Now, I'm asking my self. Where is the difference between Security and Privacy?
Privacy is about the informations you decided to share or not with some organisations you are a member of.
Security is protecting the collect of your informations from unknown organisations/people.

I feel my stupid to follow the Toturial up there, if I use an iphone and gmail account which collect everything on me all time.
I feel that It's like: "if you start doing it, do it correctly, if not, don't even think about it."

What do you think?

D

Deleted member 178

Privacy is about your personal life, about what you want to disclose or not.
Security is about the system you use being vulnerable or not to attacks.

i don't mind much if some tech giants collect some datas on me, i know they won't put it on internet open to everyone to peep.
However i won't like some individual hacking my computer and grab my files and put them on the net.

FHRNHT

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 8, 2018
Privacy is about your personal life, about what you want to disclose or not.
Security is about the system you use being vulnerable or not to attacks.

i don't mind much if some tech giants collect some datas on me, i know they won't put it on internet open to everyone to peep.
However i won't like some individual hacking my computer and grab my files and put them on the net.
that's a good point there.
But does it mean that it's possible to get a good security but quite hard to have privacy right now?

For me, privacy means that the user has to stop using major tools from Google, Microsoft, Apple to just name this ones. And this is too much efforts for me.
So is it worth it to reduce the information took by microsoft on Windows 10 for exemple?

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Yesss...balance is very good word...it's key word :D
security-fence.jpg

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
that's a good point there.
But does it mean that it's possible to get a good security but quite hard to have privacy right now?

For me, privacy means that the user has to stop using major tools from Google, Microsoft, Apple to just name this ones. And this is too much efforts for me.
So is it worth it to reduce the information took by microsoft on Windows 10 for exemple?
You can have great security and anonymity but privacy is the most difficult to achieve.

Yes, you can reduce the amount of your personal data being taken by MS/Google. With Google it's easier. As long as you don't use Google services and hardware you are out of its ecosystem.

For MS it's a bit difficult since it involves the OS. You can don't use its hardware and other services like MS Office, outlook mail, Skype, One Drive, Surface devices etc and strictly only the OS. You can substitute MS OS using Linux OS but you must prepare to work on limited software availability and compatibility with MS software/services in the working environment.

If you insist on using MS OS then you can download some version on the net whereby many of its telemetry services have been removed. Or have MS OS on a dedicated PC and disconneted from the net. Also, you can use some 3rd-party software (like O&O Shut Up 10) to disable some of MS OS telemetries

Last edited:
Reactions: bribon77

FHRNHT

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 8, 2018
I don't think I want to be in a place where I don't use any microsoft software or any google tools. I think there are great tools mostly.

So I guess it's more about my security that I concern of.

So where do I start if I want to check that I have nothing on my computer?

Reactions: bribon77

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I don't think I want to be in a place where I don't use any microsoft software or any google tools. I think there are great tools mostly.

Scan with the Kit Emsisoft , Zemana, Norton Power Eraser, and Hitman pro. with that I think it's enough.
The Privacy is another Story

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

For starter you have 3 paths to choose. Decide on one.

1) Use strictly MS OS built-in services like its Windows Defender anti-malware and firewall
2) Use 3rd-party software
3) Combo of the above

FHRNHT

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 8, 2018
I found 2 things
PUA:Win32/Traffic Exchange.F!eng (Found by Zemana.)
pbclold.dll Suspect in AppData/Local/PunkBuster/BF3/pb/ (found by Hitman Pro.)

L

Local Host

Being obsessed over privacy is unhealthy, specially since all the companies and software gather data one way or the other, even VPNs!

If you really want privacy unplug, focus on security instead and manage privacy settings to your liking without going overboard.

Reactions: FHRNHT

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Being obsessed over privacy is unhealthy, specially since all the companies and software gather data one way or the other, even VPNs!

If you really want privacy unplug, focus on security instead and manage privacy settings to your liking without going overboard.

Privacy is overrated. Unless you're Snowden, or Buffett or even a celebrity, there's no need to over-prioritise your privacy. No one is bothered to know your private life.

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Privacy is overrated. Unless you're Snowden, or Buffett or even a celebrity, there's no need to over-prioritise your privacy. No one is bothered to know your private life.

Until someone (authorities or an individual) get access to your computer or phone.
Unfortunately everyone has secrets. Small or big we do not want to expose them.

DarkLense

Level 1
Verified
Feb 8, 2018
Hello,
Personally, I have been asking myself the same question a few months back, there was this madness caused by newspapers and bloggers how its cyber-armageddon starting. There is truth in that but that has been around for quite some time, that some bad guys are making money off someone's information. I agree with Umbra I don't mind giants collecting vague info, as long as someone decides to snoop around directly into your house.
Protecting? Hmmm, I think there is no anonymity on the Internet. The first day you logged in there's info bits and pieces scattered around. What you can do is do anything in your power not to let someone walk in and take a walk through your personal space. Whether it's deleting sensitive data or just using knowledge. I don't think that you can hide, but I don't think that its right to oke nose in someone else's business.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Security that can be learned.
Privacy is left to fine-tuning individual thoughts.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.