Advice Request Security risk with staying with a set version of a browser forever ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
As a lot of people know Firefox 57 will be coming soon and that will be the end of a lot of useful addons. I don't want to ever go to Firefox 57 so if I were to stay with Firefox 56 would that be a security risk ?

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
As a lot of people know Firefox 57 will be coming soon and that will be the end of a lot of useful addons. I don't want to ever go to Firefox 57 so if I were to stay with Firefox 56 would that be a security risk ?

Is this a hypothetical question? Because the latest version is 53 and 54 for beta

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Maybe not now, but in the future after end of support or an unpatched vulnerability. It's common sense that any out-dated, vulnerable (exploitable) or unsupported software is a risk.

Have you explored other browsers that offer similar web extensions? Have you tried those alternates? And how can you be 100% sure that you will not switch or upgrade?

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Maybe time to look into Pale Moon, which doesn't wreck things as much as Firefox. There are other Gecko browsers as well, such as Comodo Ice Dragon, Cyberfox, Waterfox.

I don't know why Firefox is not more solicitous of its extension-makers. I believe the extensions are the main thing that has kept Gecko loyalists from joining the stampede to the Chromium browsers family.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Maybe time to look into Pale Moon, which doesn't wreck things as much as Firefox. There are other Gecko browsers as well, such as Comodo Ice Dragon, Cyberfox, Waterfox.

I don't know why Firefox is not more solicitous of its extension-makers. I believe the extensions are the main thing that has kept Gecko loyalists from joining the stampede to the Chromium browsers family.
Unfortunately, it looks like Cyberfox may be coming to end of life for the project. :(

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Generally a not updated browser may contain security flaws that can be exploited to infect your system. Depending on the type of vulnerability present in the browser, an attacker could “take possession” of your computer or steal personal information, access to credentials and every type of account stored in it.
And this is not an entirely hypothetical fact.
Saying this will happen for sure is not possible but prevention is better in my opinion.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
No, I'm afraid this Pale Moon thing pales in comparison to Chrome. The Pale Moon is known to be more buggy than any Browser out there and known wide and far to be wide open to hackers. Therefore I must insist that you switch to Chrome and not be so paranoid about it!!!

This is the most no-sense thing I have ever read here in MalwareTips.

Hackers tend to look into exploits on software that has the more people behind, it will improve their chances to get something valuable. The less common and the less massive a browser is, the less factor of being abused by hackers. It's just $$$

Second, Pale Moon is a fully updated browser and it is not discontinued, it has regular updates and if you check them, they are always pushing exploit fixes. Just like any other browser outhere.

Third, your "Chrome" call is actually one of the most targeted browsers in the marked by malware and most PuP will just try to get your Chrome. These chances are lower on Pale Moon, I have seen many PuP and malware just not catch Pale Moon but Chrome instead.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Yes it would. Usually when there's browser updates they contain fixes for vulnerabilities found by security researchers. Not updating your browser will not allow these vulnerabilities to be patched and thus your browser will be far more prone to stuff like RCE exploits and the like.
100% spot on Arequire.
Not updating is wreckless. I know the affection some have for addons I was in that club as well, but I don't love them enough
to forsake security to keep or use them.
@ng4ever
If you must keep them for utilitarian purposes you may have to switch to another
build of FF like NightFox, WaterFox ect.

Last edited:

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
No, I'm afraid this Pale Moon thing pales in comparison to Chrome. The Pale Moon is known to be more buggy than any Browser out there and known wide and far to be wide open to hackers. Therefore I must insist that you switch to Chrome and not be so paranoid about it!!!

Do you have any literature or other form of proof of this please.
"known far and wide to be wide open to hackers"
Could you provide some links to this far and wide opinion.?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.