Advice Request Security risk with staying with a set version of a browser forever ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
As a lot of people know Firefox 57 will be coming soon and that will be the end of a lot of useful addons. I don't want to ever go to Firefox 57 so if I were to stay with Firefox 56 would that be a security risk ?

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
It's funny that Edge which is from Microsoft is weak according to Pwn2Own. I don't see people going nuts over it and unpinning it from taskbar. But instead they go calling Pale Moon unsafe, junk, hackers magnet, etc. Believe me if we go the "Hacking are under your bed madness" then half of the software installed in most computers should be uninstalled. I would agree that Skype for example is danger over 9.000. But Pale Moon? Seriously? People gotta chill a bit.
Probably because it's also already unpopular.
Why would they target a lonely home user like me?

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Utter uninformed babble.
Chrome was designed with a sandbox from the "start" and you should be aware of that so comparing it to firefox is ridiculous.

Edge is new, so it was an obvious target and MS can learn from those contests, FF will be the next preferred target because the implementation of a sandbox on v54.
It is not Palemoon that is criticized but any browser with the FF core, it was always weak compared to Chrome .
I hope the new sandbox will be effective, i checked some of its mechanism, it is based on levels of tightness, 0 - 1 - 2 , 2 being the highest one, i saw a Level 3 but , very tight but it seems it will not be implemented yet.

D

Deleted member 178

Chrome was designed with a sandbox from the "start" and you should be aware of that so comparing it to firefox is ridiculous.
You think i don't know? What is ridiculous is taking account the history of a software, a software or any tool must perform better at their current state (or afford me something i need) than the others to deserve to be in my system.
I don't care how the soft was developed , don't care it took 1 or 10 years to do, only the end result matters. I will rather use a 1 year old software that gives me better protection NOW than a 10 years old popular one that is less secure.
If FF gives me better protection that Chrome i will use it; if not it will just stay as a second choice browser; i'm actually trying the v54 beta (portable) , let see how it perform in the long run.
I don't use declining apps because they were nice before...

D

Deleted member 178

So is FF 54 sandboxing each tab or the entire browser? If each tab then is there a need for Private Browsing mode?

Thanks

"Security Sandboxing makes use of child processes as a security boundary. The process model, i.e. how Firefox is split into various processes and how these processes interact between each other is common to all platforms. For more information see the Electrolysis wiki page. The security aspects of a sandboxed child process are implemented on a per-platform basis. See the Platform Specifics section below for more information."

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
@ng4ever I know right, and outhere there is still friendly sandboxie to give a hand and also other Chrome options like Opera, in case Chrome does not work for you; there are still some decent players you can try in in the chromium side, same as for Firefox.

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
So far was trying Firefox 55 nightly and like how fast it is! Can't wait! Though did go back to Firefox 53.0.2 for more stability. The best part about Firefox 55 nightly is no memory leak. All my memory is given back after closing a tab or tabs! Yes it will suck to not have any customizing ability but if this is what it takes to get the browser of my dreams I am all for it!

Reactions: Handsome Recluse
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.