Battle Security solution for prosumer? (2 PCs)

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
I need to protect two machines, both are running W10; one is my work PC and the other a gaming PC. Actually Im running GData Internet Security on both, but it seems it is draining more resources at every update, and occasionally some modules goes offline. I came with a list of possible candidates to replace my GData but I'm open to other suggestions, it doesnt have to be one app for both PCs but if advisable I can purchase two different products:
  • Symantec Endpoint Cloud
  • Cylance
  • Carbon Black
  • BitDefender ZeroDay
  • Sophos InterceptX
  • Palo Alto Networks XDR
  • Webroot
  • Comodo [some sub-reddit blocks it for shady business practice]
  • Eset [years ago let malware infect my pc]
  • Kaspersky [years ago let malware infect my pc]
Optional Add-ons:
  • CryptoPrevent
  • VoodooShield
  • Zemana Anti Malware
  • Emsisoft Anti-Malware
  • HitmanPro.Alert
I need a solution to protect from logacy viruses and more recent RansomWare malwares other than network attacks. Someone suggested to implement a firewall separately from AV solution, such as using OPNsense or pfSense on a Partaker. I would stay on max $100,00 for each PC if possible.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If you install Voodooshield, it doesn't matter which AV you use. Just pick a light AV that plays nicely with your system. Voodooshield does all the heavy lifting, without draining resources.
Symantec is a good choice.
Webroot is very light, but has very weak protection.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I need a solution to protect from legacy viruses
While only 3 top AV were tested (McAfee, Symantec and Trend Micro), the ripple effect may affect other vendors.
  • Eset [years ago let malware infect my pc]
  • Kaspersky [years ago let malware infect my pc
Security is only as effective as the end user, and is not the complete solution to combating malware/threats. It may have been a combination of both your faults; human negligence and a mis-configuration or undetected threat. I cannot say for sure which was the probable cause, but a fallback system image backup would have been less stressful than other methods of recovery.

Never versions of these software may provide better coverage.
Instead of relying on a single type of solution, a multi-layer approach is highly recommended. And where available, trial before buy.

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
Instead of relying on a single type of solution, a multi-layer approach is highly recommended. And where available, trial before buy.

what names on my list do you suggest overall? I was thinking of a main security with a complementary app. Also what do you think about the possibility to run a firewall separately from the software using pfSense? Would it improve security or just make things more complicate?

Reactions: AtlBo

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Also what do you think about the possibility to run a firewall separately from the software using pfSense
Custom firewalls are helpful for privacy issues, so you can have tighter control over where your computer is connecting to.
But if your concerns are security related, then advanced firewall protection is not so effective. Modern malware knows how to get past the firewall by hijacking legitimate processes.

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I know Cylance Protect does but I am not 100% sure about Cylance home but I believe it will allow you to manage both computers ( Endpoints) on the same dashboard. I would run it with along Intercept X which will also allow you to manage both computers on a single dashboard and gives you granular control over them separately with individual policies and settings for each.

This should give you a pretty strong package.

I would also consider getting a router like a Gryphon Router and run every thing on your home network through it for a third layer of protection.

You can even run a good filtering DNS on the router like OpenDNS or DNSFilter for a fourth layer.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
Modern malware knows how to get past the firewall by hijacking legitimate processes.
my idea of a firewall was just to prevent network attacks, not prevent malware execution, for this purpose there is the antivirus/malware software thought.

You can even run a good filtering DNS on the router like OpenDNS or DNSFilter for a fourth layer.
Can I use Google DNS too?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
my idea of a firewall was just to prevent network attacks
If you are using a router, like most people are, then attacks straight from the internet are a thing of the past. The attackers can't see your computer because it is behind the router. As long as you are on a trusted home network, and you are behind a router, you are protected from network attacks, even with a minimal firewall such as Windows firewall at default settings.

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
If you are using a router, like most people are, then attacks straight from the internet are a thing of the past. The attackers can't see your computer because it is behind the router. As long as you are on a trusted home network, and you are behind a router, you are protected from network attacks, even with a minimal firewall such as Windows firewall at default settings.
What is the benefit of installing Comodo Firewall then?

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Could you write something of your habits on computer
Do you play games, browse internet, watch videos?
Do you download torrents?
Do you share pc with someone?
On work pc, do you use email alot?

I'd suggest you to post on Computer Security Configuration

Otherwise people just will suggest the antivirus that they are currently using (mostly)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
What is the benefit of installing Comodo Firewall then?
Well, most people on this forum use Comodo Firewall for its Autocontainment and/or for its HIPS. These components provide default/deny protection, like VoodooShield does. But firewall is useful as well, I do admit. You can't build your security on firewall (unless you have high-end hardware for that, and you are an expert), but firewall is a nice icing on the cake.

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
configure it according to CruelSister settings
I'll give it a try, where do I find these settings? Is it a list on the forum or inside the app?

Do you play games, browse internet, watch videos?
I do play games only on gaming pc

Do you download torrents?
quite rarely

Do you share pc with someone?
I do connect to other's PC from my working PC using remote desktop support software such as TeamViewer

On work pc, do you use email alot?
only from Gmail webmail

Wow that's cool, really well done, will do tomorrow!

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Comodo without the AV component is super light. You won't even feel it.
By the way, if you have advanced protection such as CruelComodo or VoodooShield or other great security solutions, you don't even need 3rd party antivirus. Windows Defender is fine. And if you want to turn Windows Defender into a tiger, use ConfigureDefender. It only takes a minute to apply the recommended tweaks.

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
if you have advanced protection such as CruelComodo or VoodooShield
one app excludes the other?

if you have [...] great security solutions, you don't even need 3rd party antivirus
what would be a greater solution if not AV?

you don't even need 3rd party antivirus
the idea on VS is that it kicks in when the AV fails, giving you an option to not execute something. Maybe WD fine tuned could do but I wonder if saving a few bucks is really worth the risk, not that a paid AV is 100% bulletproof but perhaps that plus VS+CC what do you think?

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
one app excludes the other?
You can pile one on top of the other, but it slows down your computer and is redundant, and you have greater risk of software conflicts. If you want a double layer, then the first layer could be Hard_Configurator, which uses native Windows security features, they don't slow down the computer or cause software conflicts.
what would be a greater solution if not AV?
AV is default-allow. It only stops the bad guys. And thousands of new bad guys are born every day, so you can't stop them all.
Advanced security solutions of the default-deny type only allow the good guys. This approach is much more secure. Such solutions are: Hard_Configurator, Voodooshield, CruelComodo, NVT EXE Radar Pro, AppGuard, ReHIPS, Excubits Bouncer, SecureAPlus, and others
the idea on VS is that it kicks in when the AV fails, giving you an option to not execute something. Maybe WD fine tuned could do but I wonder if saving a few bucks is really worth the risk, not that a paid AV is 100% bulletproof but perhaps that plus VS+CC what do you think?
1 Most of the testing that I have seen shows that paid AVs don't necessarily protect better than free AVs. It depends more on luck and user habits. The difference in protection level between the leading AVs is pretty small.

2 If you are a gamer, don't pile a lot of security apps one on top of another. You will slow down the responsiveness of your computer, and have lots of frustrations, and will not significantly improve your security.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.