Advice Request Security suites with password-protected parental controls

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

alakazam

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
Besides Sophos, are there any other security suite vendors that offer password-protected parental control that blocks access to adult websites for all browsers, including in private browsing?
I know of Kaspersky Safe Kids, but I don't like it for various reasons.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I'm just starting to use it, so I'm not sure in detail, but F-Secure has a parent control function. Perhaps it is a specification that specifies the device as a child's use and then installs the add-on separately in the browser.
I think @upnorth 🐻‍❄️ knows the details well.
I actually don't know all the details well when it comes to F-Secures " Family Rules ", and it's simply because it's a part of F-Secure I rarely fiddle with and personal I also got a sceptical view on all so called parental/family control softwares no matter what vendor/company. Time spent together, in the same room without any closed or locked doors, also online can never be replaced by any software.

It does exist some guides for F-Secures family rules and of course I will link one, but for example OPs specific request of support of all browsers and in private browsing, I can't confirm.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
My IPS doesn't allow it, and changing it only on the PC is useless cause it cannot be password-protected.

Also, why does this necessarily have to be about blocking children from browsing? Blocking certain websites helps adults who are struggling with a particular type of temptation.
I'm sorry. From the word parent control I saw in the first post, I misinterpreted it.🙏

I was a little interested in F-Secure's Parent Control, so I tried it on my smartphone. You can specify the software that can be started and the time zone that can be used. Also, it seems that the sites you want to block are adjusted by selecting the genre. The difficulty is that the settings cannot be switched for each user. To release the parent control, remove the device to be protected from the management screen, uninstall it, and then install it again and specify the protection of the device again.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Also, why does this necessarily have to be about blocking children from browsing? Blocking certain websites helps adults who are struggling with a particular type of temptation.
Parent is not just used in the thread title, but also in the description in the first post so try to be more clear next time if you actually mean also adults. The word " Parent ", is also a reason why F-Secure decided several years to stop using it in their SAFE and TOTAL products. Family, is for sure a much better word.

I was a little interested in F-Secure's Parent Control, so I tried it on my smartphone. You can specify the software that can be started and the time zone that can be used. Also, it seems that the sites you want to block are adjusted by selecting the genre. The difficulty is that the settings cannot be switched for each user. To release the parent control, remove the device to be protected from the management screen, uninstall it, and then install it again and specify the protection of the device again.
Great advice and test. Thanks! Please test a few " basic " sites that should be blocked, and let us know here how it worked. 🍿

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.