block Flash & new tab content in Edge,
block cloud in Windows search,
block Cortana,
disable popup notifications on locked screen
change the inactivity limit to 15 minutes

other stuff:
run "dgreadiness_v3.7.2 -Enable"
install "Hard_Configurator 5.1.1.2" with all recommend settings + some own
Chromium-Edge flags & Anti-Exploit settings (see post)
Adobe Touch as PDF reader with Anti-Exploit settings (see post)
internal drives encrypted with Bitlocker
change Data Execution Prevention (DEP) to AlwaysOn / enforcing
In Defender - Exploit protection i enable/ enforce Dynamic ASLR
Anti-Ransomware protection enabled
Application Guard installed
NextDNS DoT DNS
sandboxed Defender
block msbuild.exe & CVTres.exe in Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
Microsoft Defender + Microsoft Defender (internal) offline scan + Desinfec't
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chromium-Edge with AdGuard extension
Maintenance tools
Windows internal tools
File and Photo backup
Windows internal backup (file version history) to NAS + Personal Backup 6
System recovery
Windows internal system restore points
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
Notable changes
6th June: First post
13th June: See SECURE: Complete - security123's Security Config 2020
3th July: See SECURITY: Complete - security123's Security Config 2020
6th July: switch to NextDNS (DoT): SECURITY: Complete - security123's Security Config 2020
15th July: change a small Edge setting: SECURITY: Complete - security123's Security Config 2020
16th July: Increase KeePass security to maximum: SECURITY: Complete - security123's Security Config 2020
30th July: make Defender more secure, harden some Hard_Configurator settings: SECURITY: Complete - security123's Security Config 2020
31th July: enable "paranoid extensions" in Hard_Configurator: SECURITY: Complete - security123's Security Config 2020
8th August: disable HVCI do to problems with Defender network protection: SECURITY: Complete - security123's Security Config 2020
23th August: removed TinyWall: SECURITY: Complete - security123's Security Config 2020
8th October: remove last AdGuard filter list, thanks to native DoH support in Edge
20th October: update to Windows 20H2
26th October: add LOLBins Firewall rules from Andy's tool
31th October: revert blocking LOLBins
3rd December: remove Windows Sandbox
22th December: re-build Edge Anti-Exploit settings
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Thread author
Here looks like that "msbuild.exe" is already included in Firewall-Hardening by @Andy Ful , but probably you haven't added all "LOLBins" ?

View attachment 250750
You're right. But because of problems with that configuration i don't block LOLbins: SECURITY: Complete - security123's Security Config 2020 | MalwareTips Community
So that's the reason why i manually add msbuild ;)

@security123 - just out of curiosity, I wonder if you have a special reason for still blocking untrusted fonts?

(I guess that you must have noticed that MS has dropped untrusted fonts blocking out of its Security Baseline already a few years ago, so I think that you have some special reason...)
Thanks for reminding! Will revert it

Just a little pip from me, I like you having AdGuard installed, I think it is an important part of having a "safe" PC or Ublock-Origin.
I don't use nor need AdGuard extension for security and that's the reason why my AdGuard doesn't block any malware.
In my setup it's only for annoying YouTube ads (using only default AdGuard Anti-Ad list) and Kees' list which is as ABP list more effective then HOSTS like for NextDNS.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The already running malware can inject code to any system executable - it can be cvtres.exe or many others, so adding it to FirewallHardening can prevent one malware but not others. Furthermore, It is not necessary because these LOLBins are run via PowerShell scripts (or by command-lines) that are already blocked by H_C (or SWH). Of course, if it does not cause problems then adding it will not hurt, too.
The attack via Windows Sandbox can be easily prevented by adding WSB extension to protected file extensions in SRP. (y)

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@security123 - just out of curiosity, I wonder if you have a special reason for still blocking untrusted fonts?

(I guess that you must have noticed that MS has dropped untrusted fonts blocking out of its Security Baseline already a few years ago, so I think that you have some special reason...)
(y) (y)
There is no need to block Untrusted Fonts in Windows 10. The font rendering is made in AppContainer. For now, this protection was not bypassed.
Dropping the "Untrusted Font Blocking" setting - Microsoft Tech Community

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Thread author
The already running malware can inject code to any system executable - it can be cvtres.exe or many others, so adding it to FirewallHardening can prevent one malware but not others. Furthermore, It is not necessary because these LOLBins are run via PowerShell scripts (or by command-lines) that are already blocked by H_C (or SWH). Of course, if it does not cause problems then adding it will not hurt, too.
The attack via Windows Sandbox can be easily prevented by adding WSB extension to protected file extensions in SRP. (y)
Better they stay blocked (if system is not hardened), as attackers are copycats. They now saw msbuild.exe and cvtres.exe and I discovered already plenty of maldocs exploiting that. Apparently they've found a new vulnerability. Eventually they will move on or it will be patched, but for now this is the wave and any measures to reduce the risk won't hurt. I don't think that a process converting C++ res files to objects needs to access the network anyway. Unless it has implemented a cloud malware scanner :D

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.