seeking wisdom!

Nox361

Thread author
Verified
Oct 16, 2013
So, I'm really pretty new at this and want to make sure I'm not overdoing things.
I've been playing with all of the above and each one seems to do certain things well, but am I doubling up on anything unnecessarily?
I've always liked and trusted Kaspersky, but Ad-Aware seems good as well. Will they play well together?

Comodo Firewall gets very good write-ups, but is it superior to the one built into Kaspersky?

Any and all opinions, advice, and comments are welcome.

Thanks!

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Howdy and welcome to MalwareTips.

If you have already bought KIS 2013 and it still has valid license, I recommend to use all of its features. No need to add Ad-Aware, you only should have one real-time Anti-Virus product installed.

The firewall that comes with Kaspersky is just as good as Comodo when it comes to controlling network activity.

What Comodo has that is different is strong HIPS protection.

Not all users need strong HIPS protection, especially users that know how to safely download files from trusted sources and utilize UAC. Users that keep their software updated and apply current Windows Updates and use secure web browser with security extensions, etc.

Depending on your preferences, you may decide if you really need this extra protection.

For myself, I just use free security products like Avast, Windows Defender, utilize UAC and never get infections. I don't like to mess with products with strong HIPS, it is just too much work and I stay malware-free without them.

Of coarse not all users have good experiences with products with strong HIPS, they tend to conflict with other software and sometimes Windows own processes, are difficult to uninstall, give false alerts or block trusted processes, get corrupted when you upgrade, require constant manual maintenance, etc.

Enjoy!! :D

Nox361

Thread author
Verified
Oct 16, 2013
Littlebits said:
...you only should have one real-time Anti-Virus product installed.

That's what I thought but wasn't really sure that Kaspersky and Ad-Aware were on the same level (no disrespect to the Ad-Aware team!)

...The firewall that comes with Kaspersky is just as good as Comodo when it comes to controlling network activity.

Good to know

...use secure web browser with security extensions, etc.

I have been very hesitant to use any browser add-ons, thinking that they would simply bloat the browser with no real payoff. Can you recommend some appropriate add-ons?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Here are the extensions that I use, some will only apply to Firefox but you can get other similar extensions for other browsers as well.

Adblock Plus
Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus
LastPass
WOT
Webutation
Flagfox
Flag for Chrome
website.informer.com extension
SpywareBlaster (not an extension but still protects all browsers)

What is your default web browser?

Thanks. :D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Nox361 said:
Littlebits said:
What is your default web browser?

Chrome
Will these be available at Softpedia?

When installing extension on Google Chrome you have to get them from their web store- https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/apps?hl=en-US it doesn't allow adding extensions from other sources.

Just type in the search box and hit enter.

Enjoy!! :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.