Segurazo Antivirus

bayasdev

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
This shady AV has been spreading the last months as a PUP and some users complain on Reddit that it becames persistent once installed so it doesn't matters how many times you uninstall it just cames back after a reboot; They also claim to be a portuguese/brazilian AV company on a Reddit post.
After unpacking the setup file that I downloaded from their website it looks like they're using Reason Core (formerly HerdProtect) engine. ByteFence a similar pseudo-AV also uses Reason Core engine so maybe they're behind those nagware programs and distributing them through questionable practices like bundled software.

segurazo.png

PD: English is not my main language so I apologize for any typo :)

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
ByteFence is rebrand of Reason Core Security, whereas Segurazo has its own user interface. While ByteFence has a bad reputation online, it is not malicious.

I've been testing Segurazo over the last few days and have found it to be very buggy. When scanning a large number of files, the scan often freezes. At which point, at least you can stop the scan and get it quarantine the threats that it has found so far. I scanned a very large malware collection with it. This took a long time due to the scan freezing and very slow quarantine times. But it eventually detected many more threats than any other antivirus I had scanned the collection with. There were quite a few files detected as "Threat.Reputation.LD." I can only assume this means that this means that files are detected based on a low reputation score, rather than by signatures.

As for it being difficult to remove, I had not tried to uninstall it as of yet. However, I suspect that it will be able to easily uninstalled, just like Reason Core Security and ByteFence.

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
One of the people behind Reason Core Security was behind herdProtect and allegedly even sold technology to Microsoft back in the day.
Windows Defender (back when it was just an anti-spyware product, rather than a full antivirus) was based on Giant Anti-Spyware.
Andrew Newman who was co-founder of Giant and went on to work for Microsoft for four years, is also the founder of Reason Cybersecurity.
It's interesting to see them involved with unethical security software - I consider being hard to uninstall (intentionally) as "unethical behavior".
I've already uninstalled it, due to the bugs and it's not hard to remove. The uninstaller asks if your are sure you want to uninstall it and has a one minute timer, which counts down to zero, before you can click on Yes. However, once you click on Yes, it does uninstall it. After the required reboot, Segurazo was gone. A SurveyMonkey survey opened in my browser and I gave it a 1 star rating and mentioned in the feedback that it had constantly frozen during scans.

While I don't like the countdown, at least the uninstaller does work.

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
how can i download Segurazo antivirus? their real website is death so i cant download it
Why do you want to download it? Considering that the download link has been taken down, you probably can't buy it anymore.

Reactions: Shadowra

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.