Seymour Heiney's Security Configuration

D

Deleted member 178

Seymour Heiney said:
Real-Time Protection: SuperAntispyware v6

I highly suggest you to shift to better solutions : Avast Free, Avira Free, or any other. SAS is obsolete even if it may be useful.

Seymour Heiney

Thread author
Nov 11, 2015
Umbra, totally agree on SAS. I have a lifetime license and that is the only reason its running. I hope to replace that with Malwarebytes Premium for real-time protection soon. That is why I am here, to read, learn, and shake off the old and embrace the new. Thank you for reaching out to me.

Reactions: Deleted member 178
D

Deleted member 178

MBAM premium will be enough coupled with Windows10 defender; but you will lack preventive features included in others softwares.

Reactions: LabZero
L

LabZero

Windows Defender + AntiMalware Scan Interface (AMSI) + Malwarebytes offer a good safety level but associated with a right mind-set, otherwise you can switch to other solutions.
Currently, attacks on vulnerabilities (exploits) are increasing and you can add Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit free or premium (now compatible with Windows 10).
It protects web browsers, plugins and other apps by mitigating these attacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: frogboy

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
in my opinion I think Super Anti spyware is not enough real time protection to keep a computer safe I think you should use a anti executable program like SecureAPlus,Voodoo shield,Crystal Security or Comodo Internet Security and maybe add another secondary scanner like Zemana Anti malware or Emsisoft emergency kit.

Reactions: Kardo Kristal

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would not use SAS for real time protection.In fact there are other on demand scanners that would be better to utilize
I would follow the suggestions made by @Umbra & @Klipsh above.
I would consider adding Sandboxie along with Windows built in security
Consider uBlock Origin & HTTPS Everywhere in FF

Reactions: LabZero and frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
SAS has very low detection capabilities, it couldn't reach the standard percentage from zero day up to very old threats so consider a full blown AV.

You may add a backup browser just in case

Other than that follow those important advice from them. ;)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I hope to replace that with Malwarebytes Premium for real-time protection soon.
Neither SAS Pro or MBAM Premium are meant to be an Antivirus replacement, do you have Windows Defender running?

What are your reason for shifting UAC to Always Notify?

Seymour Heiney

Thread author
Nov 11, 2015
Thanks to everyone of you who replied. I didn't know how active this site would be. Now I know it is VERY active. You all seem very knowledgeable and to be seasoned veterans in the fight to keep the nasties out of our machines, but quite honestly, just in the few posts from yesterday, you've given me a lot to digest. I used to think I could get by with just a real-time malware monitor and a good internet suite, such as ESET or Norton (I'm ditching Norton after several years as I see much more value for my dollar in software from ESET, Emsisoft, etc). I had no idea there were so many other products out there that should be vetted. My concern would be if there is value in spending the $ and/or installing numerous components for the type of computing I do (mostly photography/video work, use of MS Office products and practice safe web surfing (I rarely go anywhere where nasties typically lurk). My wife also participates heavily on online banking and shopping (this is where my biggest concern is, truthfully - I'm hoping ESET's Banking product will help with security there).

Bottom line: thank you for all your suggestions. I will vet them all, although I may have additional questions once I do. Just wanted to drop back into this thread and thank you. I never want to be "that guy" that posts something, gets feedback, and never bothers to hit "reply" to thank those that took time to help.

Thanks for reading.

Seymour

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
In reply to your last comment. The most important thing (at least it one of the most important now - due to many 0-days) is watch where you click. If you are doing professional work/photography, and you just happened to go to a normal site with a compromised ad server (it happens), you could simply be infected. Cryptowall 4 is out now.

Some additional advice. Backup, backup... It can't be emphasized enough. (Since you aren't running a good AV, you should ensure your PC is clean first). An external HDD is worth it's cost. Also be sure to keep all browsers , Flash player and Windows 10 up to date. AdBlockPlus is a good way to limit exposure to malicious ads.

ESET Smart Security is a good product. Kaspersky Internet Security is as well, it provides a little more protection but can slow down your PC and can be buggy. Watch for sales/ Mail in rebates on these and you will save some money. I don't advise auto-renew. Many times you pay $40+ more dollars than simply buying a new product.

Many times you get what you pay for.

The closest test comparing efficacy of AV Suites on Windows 10 is AV-Comparatives - Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - Real World Protection Test Overview
More will come as time passes.

You can follow keeping up to date with patches here: All posts | Qualys Community.

I am not a security pro. I am just a student beginning to study InfoSec.

If you need any advice let us know. We are here to help. :)

Seymour Heiney

Thread author
Nov 11, 2015
You guys have a great way of putting someone at ease. Soccer97, I have a 4 TB external that I use Macrium Reflect v6 Premium to do a full system image once a week which I keep for 4 weeks (no differentials or incrementals). This works well and I test several images a year by restoring occasionally since we all know that it ain't been tested until its been restored. This has saved my bacon a couple times in real life when I've done something stupid like taken someone's advice and changed a registry key that should not have been changed. I also schedule a daily end-of-day file and folder backup (full on Friday's, differential other days) to protect any daily files or videos I may produce on any given day.

I appreciate the sentiments on ESET and Kaspersky. In fact, I just completed a trial of Kaspersky IS 2016 suite, but it was just too heavy on resources for some reason (heavier than any other product I've tried). Nice interface, I'm sure the protection was top shelf. I really wanted to like it, but in the end it just slowed me down too much. I'd like to understand your comment a bit better about "not running a good AV". I was under the impression that ESET's main strength was a great AV, less great on the firewall side (which I'm less concerned about). Is that not true? Maybe you were trying to make another point that I'm missing.

As far as backups being clean, I've never run the rig without some type of IS suite, be it recent evaluations or, before recently, Norton IS for several years. Besides, I don't keep long term archives per se, just backups that extend back a month or so at any given time.

Waiting for some time on the weekend to weed through the plethora of software suggestions just on this thread alone.

Thanks for reading.

D

Deleted member 178

Kaspersky is renown to be heavy on some older or mid-end machines, ESET is among the best for that , renown for its lightness; both offer great protection, of course , tweaks are needed.

i especially like ESET FW, it has nice features not seen on other suites.

Seymour Heiney

Thread author
Nov 11, 2015
Would love to learn more about suggested ESET tweaks to obtain optimal protection, Umbra. Are those documented somewhere that you know of?

Emsisoft Internet Security trial is also running VERY light on another laptop of mine. What are your thoughts on Emsisoft IS?

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Seymour Heiney:

As always the trademark characteristics of EIS goes on the following

1) No privacy issues at all, it means no any sensitive information should be taken everything are part of a job to gather file for analysis only.
2) Strong built of protection capabilities and design to be minimalize from alerts as to make it more clever to detect any malicious activity.
3) No problems on performance impact/stability so far from majority of users test/use it.

D

Deleted member 178

Would love to learn more about suggested ESET tweaks to obtain optimal protection, Umbra. Are those documented somewhere that you know of?

my review and config guide of ESET (old version but still valid i guess):

Written Review - [Review] ESET Nod32 / Smart Security v6 Final

[How To Set] ESET Smart Security for Max Protection

Emsisoft Internet Security trial is also running VERY light on another laptop of mine. What are your thoughts on Emsisoft IS?

i am a big supporter of Emsisoft since years, i do closed-beta test for them, it's the best vendor for me.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.